More A129 Woes - GPS Failure Again - Reliability Issues

Gardidien

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wanted to share my experience. I’m happy with the video quality and the way the camera mounts and mostly stays hidden up on my windshield. However I’ve already had to replace one main camera unit due to it restarting itself over and over again and two GPS modules because of them failing to obtain GPS. Warranty support through Spytech on Amazon has been great and faster than Viofo direct but I shouldn’t have to be replacing components every two months. The GPS mounts are the worst because of the adhesive. Such a pain to properly get off! I’ll be tearing this GPS mount off again this weekend and will be driving without a camera while I wait for a replacement again.. Any tips for the 3M stuff?

This is not normal,could something be killing them?

This is not normal,could something be killing them?

I asked Viofo and they said my setup was fine. I am hardwired and told them how and they said no issues. Heat hasn’t been a problem yet. I haven’t had it during the summer months which are coming up now.

Restarting issues should be first confirmed by using different memory card (to rule out faulty memory card) and power cable & power adapter that came with the unit (to rule out power issues). GPS issues shoud be confirmed by testing if GPS fix can be obtained by hoding the camera outside the car while turned on (to rule out interference from windshield & other electronic devices).

Restarting issues should be first confirmed by using different memory card (to rule out faulty memory card) and power cable & power adapter that came with the unit (to rule out power issues). GPS issues shoud be confirmed by testing if GPS fix can be obtained by hoding the camera outside the car while turned on (to rule out interference from windshield & other electronic devices).

Did all that with Viofo support. Used several different memory cards. Updated the firmware several times. Used the factory power cable and adapter and even others. It was ruled a faulty camera unit and they said to obtain a replacement unit through my 3rd party seller Spytech which I did. That unit has been working fine since.

The GPS modules worked fine for months in the same location and then just randomly stopped working. The camera's show "NO GPS" on the screen. Going through the above steps, re-seating the camera, checking pins, moving the power to different USB ports etc, has no effect. Spytech replaces the unit and it works fine again with the exact same configuration and in the exact same location for a few months then it broke. Now I'm onto my 2nd replacement.

What sort of hardwire kit is it? I think I would replace it just incase it is the culprit, since there is nothing else likely.

Back