More X2 Woes

Bluenose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 622GW
Earlier I tacked the following to the older 'Problems with my X2' thread but I'm not sure it will have been seen as it is quite an old thread now. I therefore decided to start a new one.

HELP!!! I have inserted the cards and have told the system to update, I have now been looking at the same screen for more than 10minutes. The screen says 'Updating Firmware' 'Do not turn the power off'
The green bar that goes across the screen seems to be stuck about 1mm from the end.

Is it safe to turn it off and to try again?

EDIT: I had no choice but to turn it off, it had been 'updating' for more than 20 minutes and it was still jammed as mentioned above. When I tried to turn the unit on again it is now not working at all, the screen is totally blank and nothing happens when I touch the screen.

Any thoughts anyone?

Also,

Would it be at all possible for someone who currently has a 'trouble free' Panorama X2 to list their settings please.

I thought that it might be helpful if I could set mine up the same as someone for whom things are going well.

Many thanks

Sorry to hear about troubles with FW update.
Unplud main power cable from X2 unit, then remove both microsd cards. Wait few minutes ( dont insert memory cards ), plug back a power cable, start an engine. Let me know the outcome.

Hi Niko, the cards were out and the leads disconnected for about half an hour. I then followed your instructions above and nothing happened at all, no sign of life whatsoever.

Did you have the engine running while you did the firmware update? If there was any power fluctuation during the upgrade it will fail and brick. We will have to RMA your unit if you unplugged 30 minutes, plugged back in with no cards and the screen no longer terns on. I'll contact you via PM for advance/standard replacement options. This is the first brick via normal firmware update I'm aware of if there were no interruptions during the process.

Did you have the engine running while you did the firmware update? If there was any power fluctuation during the upgrade it will fail and brick. We will have to RMA your unit if you unplugged 30 minutes, plugged back in with no cards and the screen no longer terns on. I'll contact you via PM for advance/standard replacement options. This is the first brick via normal firmware update I'm aware of if there were no interruptions during the process.
Hello Pier28, no the engine wasn't running whilst doing the update. When I did the previous update to 03 I think it was, the engine wasn't running then either. What does RMA mean please?

The video instructions were to have the engine running to supply stable power while during the update. This is what caused the brick. There is no recovery option. RMA stands for return merchandise authorisation.

Hi Niko, the cards were out and the leads disconnected for about half an hour. I then followed your instructions above and nothing happened at all, no sign of life whatsoever.

Hi Geoff.
PM sent.

I just enhanced the update instructions to use bold red text to try and prevent this problem in the future.
"(Important, your vehicle's engine must be running to ensure power is stable! Do not perform the update with the engine off)"

Last edited by a moderator:
I just enhanced the update instructions to use bold red text to try and prevent this problem in the future.
"(Important, your vehicle's engine must be running to ensure power is stable! Do not perform the update with the engine off)"
Might also want to consider adding instructions for updating when the camera is not in the vehicle - as in when attached to an external wall outlet based power source. Just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
Might also want to consider adding instructions for updating when the camera is not in the vehicle - as in when attached to an external wall outlet based power source. Just a thought...

The X2 is a hard wire power product. You can't / shouldn't take it inside for updates. There is no usb port for power on the X2, it's hard wired directly to the fuse box.
(unless you have a professional 12V power supply, and spare power cord like I do for bench testing etc)

The X2 is a hard wire power product. You can't / shouldn't take it inside for updates. There is no usb port for power on the X2, it's hard wired directly to the fuse box.
(unless you have a professional 12V power supply, and spare power cord like I do for bench testing etc)
DUH!!!, I knew that <smack self in the head>. I really should think things through before posting. <smack self in head again> :confused:

DUH!!!, I knew that <smack self in the head>. I really should think things through before posting. <smack self in head again> :confused:

Not to worry @ <smack self in head again>. We all learn from somewhere and it's best to say or ask all what you think, than keep inside yourself. At least this way we can all participate in discussion and point to correct solutions for all other readers.

Not to worry @ <smack self in head again>. We all learn from somewhere and it's best to say or ask all what you think, than keep inside yourself. At least this way we can all participate in discussion and point to correct solutions for all other readers.

Exactly, no head smacking allowed here :)
I'm sure we helped someone understand how it works just by talking about it.

Actually I'm just mad at myself for not thinking. I was considering one for myself until I decided on something else.

Oh jeez sorry mate you're having a nightmare with that camera!

I'll get my settings posted up tomorrow in a thread of what I'm using - still no issues yet (which won't be what you wanted to hear!!)

There is a way of recovering the Chinese versions of the camera which @Sila mentioned but I think it's a full teardown job to get to the internal service USB ports and you need special software - @niko I'm not sure if Sungmoon could get this to you but may save a few items having to be shipped back to Korea from you and Pier28 over time?

Here are my settings:

Parking mode G-sensor = high
Parking mode video quality = all high
Parking time = off
Motion detection = low
Power control = off
Rear view camera = on
Driving mode G-sensor = low
Driving mode video quality = all high
LCD standby = 1 minute
LED ring = off
Memory allocation = 50/30/20

Oh jeez sorry mate you're having a nightmare with that camera!

I'll get my settings posted up tomorrow in a thread of what I'm using - still no issues yet (which won't be what you wanted to hear!!)

There is a way of recovering the Chinese versions of the camera which @Sila mentioned but I think it's a full teardown job to get to the internal service USB ports and you need special software - @niko I'm not sure if Sungmoon could get this to you but may save a few items having to be shipped back to Korea from you and Pier28 over time?

We will see what future brings @ "special software access". I have PM with @Bluenose and will help him to sort out this issue.

Thank you reverend for taking the time to post your list of settings. Thanks too to Niko for all the help.

Just sorry that this has happened especially as I have a 350mile round trip to do next week. Was hoping to have it all working then. you've all heard of 'Sods Law' eh!

Thank you reverend for taking the time to post your list of settings. Thanks too to Niko for all the help.

Just sorry that this has happened especially as I have a 350mile round trip to do next week. Was hoping to have it all working then. you've all heard of 'Sods Law' eh!
No problem.
We live in a "Murphy's Laws World", but I try to will help you.

Back