Most reliable non-Blackvue cards & 256GB

Ur Mom

Reaction score
Country
Australia
EDIT March 2019: WD Purple 256GB feedback from 2 users (including myself) suggests it works no problem

As the title suggests - 2 questions:
1) Which is the most reliable type of non-Blackvue SDXC card that can record UHD at the highest quality with H.265 compression?
2) Are these non-Blackvue cards available in 256GB or only 128GB?

Last edited:
1) Very pleased with the performance of my Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB.
A few other members are running this same card, and others say great things about Samsung Evo Select (green color, U3).

2) Interested to hear others' feedback on running 256GB cards in the DR900S?
I haven't tried just yet.

A few other members are running this same card, and others say great things about Samsung Evo Select (green color, U3).
Endurance has 30MB/s write speed - I read that you need 35MB/s write speed when recording 4K at the highest quality.
Experience?

2) Interested to hear others' feedback on running 256GB cards in the DR900S?
I haven't tried just yet.

+1 on Samsung pro endurance 128 GB. I'm interested in trying the Evo Select and SanDisk Ultra A1 but if the PE still works and works for a long time, I don't see myself switching

For a dash cam, you need an 'endurance' class of card as these are specifically designed to be in constant use (constantly writing to 100% the overwriting).
Most other cards void the warranty if you use in dash cams (read small print).

So long term you may start to see issues with a normal SD card as the lifespan gets significantly reduced. It will work fine for quite a while, but issues will start to appear.

There are currently no 'endurance' class 256gb cards available, so I can't recommend any, but the 128gb I'd recommend the Samsung 128gb Pro Endurance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07CYFR48N

256gb cards are available, but these won't be endurance class so not good for long term use. Ok in the short term though

So can anyone report if they’re running a 256GB card and if the dash cam recognizes the full amount?

I got the Samsung Pro Endurance. Samsung mentions something like 5 years continuous operation, has a write speed of 30mb/s and read around 100mb/s which is fine for 4k. It can endure down to -20'C and up to 80'C operating. That's the kind of expectation from Blackvue. Temperature, xray, waterproof(?) and yea you get the picture. Plus their 128GB is cheaper than the Blackvue 128GB version - by a lot! Paid NZ$105 for mine. Blackvue NZ charges NZ$200 for the 128GB version. Samsung is a reliable brand. I think the Blackvue SDXC is a custom SAMSUNG card too.

I got the Samsung Pro Endurance. Samsung mentions something like 5 years continuous operation, has a write speed of 30mb/s and read around 100mb/s which is fine for 4k. It can endure down to -20'C and up to 80'C operating. That's the kind of expectation from Blackvue. Temperature, xray, waterproof(?) and yea you get the picture. Plus their 128GB is cheaper than the Blackvue 128GB version - by a lot! Paid NZ$105 for mine. Blackvue NZ charges NZ$200 for the 128GB version. Samsung is a reliable brand. I think the Blackvue SDXC is a custom SAMSUNG card too.

Does the Blackvue recognize 256GB or 128?

Yes, it recognises both (DR900S)

If the system doesn't recognise it, then you need a PC that can format the SD card to FAT32 (you may need a FAT32 formatting tool if your Windows PC doesn't give the option for larger drives.)

I am also interested to know, which 256 GB SD-Cards will work in the DR900S.
Blackvue statet "It also made sense to introduce higher bitrates since BlackVue can support microSD cards up to 128GB (and soon 256GB) "

You won't need an "Endurance" Card, the Samsung EVO Puls (Red) and EVO Select (Green) are both designed for 4k UHD recording.
Both are recommended and approved by many Forums to work with the DR900S as 128 GB.

But until now, no one has probably tried the 256 GB Card, so who is gonna be the first one? :)

Endurance and EVO are two different things and are designed for different purposes.

Yes the 256GB EVO is designed for 4K recording due to having a high bitrate, but it's not designed to have 24/7 write on it.
Cards needs to be specifically designed for use in CCTV/Dashcams or they will have a significantly reduced lifespan and could void warranty.

Yes the cards will work, but instead of lasting 10 years for example, they could last a year or even less.

Yes i know, but you could buy two EVO Cards for the same money and with the 10 year warranty it should be a big trouble to replace them.
Its cheaper to replace a card then to send it back to Samsung and let them do some warranty checks.

EVO Red and Green are actually the same, Green is limited to Amazon and Red can be sold by everyone.

FWIW, I have just had a Samsung Evo Plus 128 fail in my 750 and it has only been 'filled' two or three times.

Running 128 GB evo select (green version amazon) since Aug 2018 continuously with b-124 and not had a problem... set to high bitrate, 265 in motion record 24/7 over 20 hours after parked.

Back