Most reliable non-Blackvue cards & 256GB

The Samsung 512GB card works great on the DR900S-2CH with ~30h of recording at Extreme.

7 days so far & the 256GB WD Purple has been working fine
Got it for A$150 delivered from Centre Com

Hey.. Long time reader..1st post
I have had the DR900s- 2ch since December 2018. I live here in Florida.. Haven't once had an issue with heat an let me tell ya..the 900s has seen many days in a Disney World parking lot......I had a Samsung 64g EVO+ micro in it and switched over to the Samsung 256 EVO+ ... Zero issues.. Just put the card in...voice sez check sd card...hold button by the power in for 10 sec or so..voice sez hold for 5 sec to format...and within 30 sec..your good to go. With the 64 g Samsung card recorded over 450 video files using a tad over 59g of space. I will post a shot of that. My setup is on kill.. Highest rez..and shooting non stop day and night 1 min files each fron and back cams. Haven't had an issue with the battery and the car is a 2014 Toyota Highlander. Later this weekend when the wife gets back from Orlando I will take the 256 EVO+ out and see how many files and the elapsed time it has recorded before the loop .. Here are a few capture shots with the 256g ... front & back cam...along with some file info on the 64.. Again.. I have no issues with the Samsung EVO 256 or the 64g

Attachments

• bv2.JPG
    bv2.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 38
  • bv3.JPG
    bv3.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 35
  • bv4.JPG
    bv4.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 37
  • bvcard.jpg
    bvcard.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 40
I'm going to try the 256 WD Purple (f.y.i. WD has 10% off at the moment using "WDMARCH"). Currently using a 128 GB Samsung Pro Endurance, but I'm finding I want more footage history. Will use the 128GB as a backup and keep in the car. Just in case I need to remove the 256GB to transfer files and what not; or in case it's requested from law enforcement as evidence if I catch something crucial to an incident.

The police detectives investigating my accident only needed me to burn them a cd of the relevant files off the sd card. If I had handed over the sd card to them, they would have done the same thing. They were happy I did it for them.

Feeling lazy today.

I’m been using the WD Purple 256gb card on the dr900s for two weeks. Zero problems, summer heat reaches 120 outside around July. I hope card handles extreme temperatures. BlackVue’s 128gb card failed on me last summer. Only worked for 2 or 3 months.

Last edited:
WD Purple 256gb running ok past couple days for me!

I think you will find that pretty much any card will 'run OK' for a couple of days. It's its 'staying power' that is usually under question.

Running 2 weeks on the front unit & 1 week on the rear unit with no problems

I think you will find that pretty much any card will 'run OK' for a couple of days. It's its 'staying power' that is usually under question.
Disagree.
Stick most cards in the Thinkware (F770) & they are incompatible (eg: Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB)

Similar happens with the BlackVue. You just simply format the card in the BlackVue app on a PC/Mac and it then works fine.

Stick most cards in the Thinkware (F770) & they are incompatible (eg: Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB)
Yeah, I found that it will reject all Samsung U3 cards I put in it. The Samsung U1 cards I have work just fine. It made me happy that it will take the 256gb Sandisk ultra A1 cards. I can get a full week of driving to and from work on it.
My Blackvue 650 only needs a 64gb card to get the same. Been thinking about upgrading to a 750 or a Street Guardian since my 650 rear camera failed recently.

My 750 works just fine with a Samsung Evo U3 128G card.

There is a 1tb card out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a green Samsung 128GB card fail in my DR900S, was starting to re-boot and even worse, the camera would freeze up without any warning or notification. Put a new 128GB card in and no problems (I keep them stocked at my house and carry a spare lower GB so I can replace card in case of accident).

Currently looking for something more durable since I live in the Florida heat and summer is moving in.

Had a green Samsung 128GB card fail in my DR900S, was starting to re-boot and even worse, the camera would freeze up without any warning or notification. Put a new 128GB card in and no problems (I keep them stocked at my house and carry a spare lower GB so I can replace card in case of accident).

Currently looking for something more durable since I live in the Florida heat and summer is moving in.

A Samsung 128GB card would be overwritten 1-2 times a day (~8h of footage) with a DR900S-2Ch at Extreme.
The Planar TLC NAND it uses has a life of ~500 cycles which equates to around a year.

You're better off buying an endurance or higher capacity card (256GB/512GB).
The 512GB Samsung Evo is based on 3D TLC V-NAND which has ~3x the endurance of Planar TLC NAND. That and it's 4x the capacity which increases the time between overwrites.

I guess I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around using 256GB and above since the user manual and Blackvue website say the max they recommend is 128GB. But if the general consensus is that 256 is acceptable w/o issues then I'm game. I would assume the process for using the 256+ cards would be the same in the Blackvue.. insert and format using the button hold (5sec) and all is good and not having to format on a computer (which I never do).

I started using memory cards in my drone that were too big and got some strange results... video's cut in odd places, etc., so don't want issues with my DR900 vids.

I guess I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around using 256GB and above since the user manual and Blackvue website say the max they recommend is 128GB. But if the general consensus is that 256 is acceptable w/o issues then I'm game. I would assume the process for using the 256+ cards would be the same in the Blackvue.. insert and format using the button hold (5sec) and all is good and not having to format on a computer (which I never do).

I started using memory cards in my drone that were too big and got some strange results... video's cut in odd places, etc., so don't want issues with my DR900 vids.

Most of the time the SD cards supported are defined by the controller itself. Very basic/old controllers will only support SDHC which can allocate upto 32GB, whereas SDXC (in most BlackVue dashcams) can allocate upto 2TB.

With that said, using a card not specified by the manufacturer can’t cause issues, but if the hardware and software are properly designed there’s few reasons why it can’t allocate the entirety of upto 2TB.
Most issues will arise as a result of the particular implementation and hardware specifications that an SD card has. One peculiarity I’ve noticed is certain older, high performance SD cards will have a power draw higher than the SD controller can supply.

If you’re referring to the Mavic drones, I believe the issue is related to the formatted file system and not the capacity itself.

I can vouch for the 512GB Evo, it’s worked flawlessly since January.

Last edited:
WD Purple 256gb running ok past couple days for me!

You running it in a DR900S-2CH? I am about to order one, saw them on Amazon for less than $100.

Any issues with write speeds/video quality in 4K?

Back