Most Reputable Dash Cam Brands?

spyder

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’d like to purchase a (F/R) 2K/4K setup with extended parking mode w/ a battery pack setup for a rare $$$$ car that won’t be driven regularly (few times per week 6 months/year)… but every brand that I consider (BlackVue, Viofo, Thinkware, etc.) seems appealing at a glance but when I do more research they all seem super sketchy and makes me have zero confidence in their engineering abilities. They all tout their convenient apps, so I checked them out in the App Store (I use iOS) and found that every single app is straight up garbage quality. I’m a software engineer and work on one of the most popular apps in the App Store, all of the iOS apps look to be poorly engineered and they all have extremely low ratings. If these dash cam companies can’t even build a decent iOS app, which is relatively easy, I worry that their hardware engineering will be just as awful and that makes me concerned that their products may cause a fire, cause damage, be unreliable, etc.

I assume that more well-known brands, like Garmin, that have a long history of building and supporting consumer hardware devices, might have better quality control, more mature engineering practices, less tolerance for risk, etc. How has Garmin’s quality compared to these other popular enthusiast brands?

Do any other reputable big name brands like Sony, Samsung, etc. offer dash cams these days? I don’t mind paying more for a well-engineered, trustworthy dash cam from a reputable brand, even if it lacks the latest and greatest features and tech that most dash cam enthusiasts value.

What are some of the most reputable well-known brands that sell dash cams these days? Ignoring price and feature set competitiveness

Thanks!!

I've been using Garmin dashcams for a few years with no problems.

I feel you. I’ve noticed something similar with radar detectors where there’s no option that I’m fully satisfied with. I’ve been justifying it by saying that they’re small companies with limited R&D budgets, but even larger dashcam companies like Garmin and Ring produce dashcams that are really nothing special.

Ah the search for ultimate dashcam… lol

I’d like to purchase a (F/R) 2K/4K setup with extended parking mode w/ a battery pack setup for a rare $$$$ car that won’t be driven regularly (few times per week 6 months/year)

What happens to the car the other 6 months? Is the car laid up in storage? Does it require parking mode during that time?

There are so many factors for a Dashcam to work at a price point that introduces problems.

While I haven't tested any Dashcam that hasn't had a problem at the end of the day I want it to at least always record when expected.

Viofo appear to try to keep their customers happy even after warranty and are active on this website.
By trying to keep some customers happy they tend to stuff up previously working firmware and apps.
Design control in apps and firmware and probably hardware can be sketchy sometimes.

Some companies are at the cutting edge of Dashcam design like viofo with the A139 Pro and as you would know if your in the industry cutting edge always has problems regardless of budget.
MS is still using its customers as software testers.

If you want stability then make sure the Dashcam you pick has a screen so you can avoid all the forced updates.

Find a firmware that does the job you want and don't update it ever.

I think you need to look at older model Dashcam that have consistent good results. I won't say reviews as they could be biased.

Cheers.

Back