Motion activated 360 degree damage cam

CrashCam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, new account, first time poster;

I'm looking for a solution for my car that would catch and record anyone who would move past my car when it is parked and locked.

I've had people key and dent my car too many times, and I want some kind of 360 degree camera that is activated by motion detection, when the engine is inactive. Preferably something either powered by solar, or that recharges battery when moving, rather than just draining the car battery.

Is there anything out there that would do what I require?

Or is there a way of getting such a product, i.e. wiring a 360 degree camera to some sensors or something along those lines?

-- the ideal is that whenever someone passes my car within, say, 1 meter of the sides or rear, the camera activates and records until ~10 seconds after the trigger leaves the area. I am aware of potential negatives, and obviously it would just record the face etc.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Motion Detect with pre-buffering is what you're looking for and several dashcams have that, but AFAIK there are none yet offering 360 degree coverage with it. And 360 cams of any type are pretty new to the scene with few showing much promise as anything good will have a very high cost. Those of us with similar requirements usually have multiple cams installed along with a powerbank or extra 'car' battery wired in to power them when parked as your car battery can't really handle this type of load well. Even with 4 cams you'll normally have blind spots in coverage :( Given enough money almost anything can be done though, so don't be disheartened ;) It's also important to know that dash and action cams do not fare well in low-light conditions and won't be usable in total darkness.

I'd suggest you first set a budget for the whole thing as that is what will limit your options most. Next is to decide what is the absolute minimum coverage you can settle for. And what kind of vehicle you have will also have weight on making the best decisions. Of course there things can be upgraded if money allows, but it will provide a base to start working from and show you what can be done from there. You might want to search the forums here to learn more as yours is a perennial question we get frequently.

And welcome to DCT :D
Phil

Hi there, new account, first time poster;

I'm looking for a solution for my car that would catch and record anyone who would move past my car when it is parked and locked.

I've had people key and dent my car too many times, and I want some kind of 360 degree camera that is activated by motion detection, when the engine is inactive. Preferably something either powered by solar, or that recharges battery when moving, rather than just draining the car battery.

Is there anything out there that would do what I require?

Or is there a way of getting such a product, i.e. wiring a 360 degree camera to some sensors or something along those lines?

-- the ideal is that whenever someone passes my car within, say, 1 meter of the sides or rear, the camera activates and records until ~10 seconds after the trigger leaves the area. I am aware of potential negatives, and obviously it would just record the face etc.

Many thanks!

I'm working on such a product. Even have a working cloud connected prototype. Have a read here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ud-connected-roof-mounted-smart-carcam.19212/

I'd love your feedback.

Also have a look at: https://caruma.tech

Cheers,
JG

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Action Camera Discussion 7
Back