Motion-activated LED floodlights for vehicles?

i64west

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian
I'm doing some planning for a security and dashcam setup for a new vehicle. Along with at least a front and rear dashcam with parking mode, I was looking for motion-actived floodlights I could install as separate units on the interior of the glass (away from the dashcam to avoid glare) that in theory, would light up a subject that got close to the car. I'm familiar with the problems with IR illumination and dashcams, and don't want to go that route. My thinking is that a bright light turning on would not only illuminate a potential intruder/vandal for the camera, but would be a bit of a deterrent in itself for anyone getting close to the car to scope it out.

I've done some searching, and apparently nothing like this exists yet. Is anyone aware of something along these lines being sold anywhere?

Welcome to DCT @i64west :)

Best would be external illumination coupled with external cams but sometimes the best isn't workable. If the light source is inside the car, you'll have similar problem to having IR inside- essentially the cam's auto-exposure will sense the bright light and dim the video to compensate :( Might do some good if the light is 'boxed' against the glass such as how glass-mount police blue lights are done which reduces glare-back to the indside.

I know some car alarms use proximity sensing and perhaps that part of their circuit could get you a switch to activate illumination. Could use small LED's in the grille and in the rear license plate mount to illuminate outside- there are some really bright ones made :cool:

Dashcams for security will always be a compromise, so I think it's best to see then as assisting with, but not solving the problem.

Phil

You know, it wouldn't be very hard to create a DIY version of this.

There are a zillion 12V IR floodlights and Illuminators on the market in different designs, price points, sizes, power levels, features, wavelengths, etc. There are also equivalent non IR floodlights.

There are also many small, inexpensive PIR motion detector sensors available designed to operate such floodlights.

If it were me, (I happen to drive a truck) I would mount a relatively small 12V 940nm (invisible to the human eye) IR floodlight array, along with a small PIR sensor switch/timer on (or inside) the front grill of my vehicle.

https://www.amazon.com/ir-floodlight/s?k=ir+floodlight

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01IU8CT0M

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07N31L3C8

motion_sensor.jpg

IRflloodlight.jpg

IRilluminator.jpg

Last edited:
Had some time tonight to do some more searching on this, it turns out the key was to include RV in the keyphrase. I found several that might work. I ordered one of these:

Will probably install these around the roof rack and tie them into my 12v accessory circuit with their own master switch so they can run overnight. Will likely need to make some custom brackets. If this one does what I want, I'll buy 3 more to round out the install.

Last edited:
I am sure when that thing come on, your car will be less interesting to "look" at, cuz i know when i was a punk parasite we loved darkness and hated light.

The thought crossed my mind to put those $5 solar powered motion lights on the roof rack (or similar).
Just how to DIS-arm their function during driving; only arm during parking, is a thought exercise I have not completed.

Yeah don't want them to come on while driving, and maybe not if you park in a busy place cuz your car will be flashing like a rave party then.

I saw a car a few days ago, the kid ( i assume ) have spammed the front of the car with white LED strips, one vehicle wide one and 1 shorter ones about 1 foot long, look like it was stick on, so probably will not last for long.

KIDS :rolleyes:

Had some time tonight to do some more searching on this, it turns out the key was to include RV in the keyphrase. I found several that might work. I ordered one of these:

Will probably install these around the roof rack and tie them into my 12v accessory circuit with their own master switch so they can run overnight. Will likely need to make some custom brackets. If this one does what I want, I'll buy 3 more to round out the install.

Having a roof rack to mount a ready made product like this on certainly could make a project like this easier. I'm wondering what kind of vehicle you have that you are willing to mount four of these twelve inch wide light fixtures all around. Anyway, I like that these units have two PIR motion sensors, one on each side and the whole thing is self contained.

One caveat: I found this item on Amazon and a number of the reviews suggests that you might potentially encounter some issues with this product. There are a few reports that the units are not very waterproof and can literally fill with water when it rains. There are also several reports that the motion sensors don't work well or at all. In fact, 27% of the 40 customer ratings were only one star. I guess you'll need to test the one you ordered and see what happens. I see that there are a few other similar products available on Amazon that may be built to a higher standard. If the whole idea doesn't work out, a more durable, more weatherproof light bar type like I pictured above but with standard LEDS instead of IR and your own DIY PIR sensor switch in the circuit may still be a better option and also easier to mount on a roof rack since they are already designed for that kind of installation. An actual automotive light bar might look better on your roof rack and most of them, as well as a the PIR sensor can be easily aimed up or down and side to side which might be an advantage over a fixed position RV light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07GDVZ4N2

Last edited:
I like that these units have two PIR motion sensors, one on each side and the whole thing is self contained.

Yeah i found that pretty nifty too.

That's the reason I bought it from the Walmart link, much easier to return if anything is wrong with it (I can take it back to a local store here). Will also try experimenting with mounting it inside facing out a window. I'm not sure how well the motion sensor will work doing that. The plan is to have the motion lights on their own switch so they can be shut off during driving.

That's the reason I bought it from the Walmart link, much easier to return if anything is wrong with it (I can take it back to a local store here). Will also try experimenting with mounting it inside facing out a window. I'm not sure how well the motion sensor will work doing that. The plan is to have the motion lights on their own switch so they can be shut off during driving.

Do let us know here how well it works :) If it's OK but fills with rain (as some say it might) then perhaps a few well-placed drain holes drilled underneath can mitigate that.

I'm still contemplating a roof-mounted rear exterior cam for my van. As I again found yesterday, it's got a very mean airflow issue from underneath that goes all the way to the top which makes all the rain-borne dirt stick to the glass windows. And in the rain, the cams inside capture a lot of jiggling droplets and wiggling streams or water which greatly reduces the effective range of those cams.

Anyone got a wind tunnel and a smoke wand I can borrow a few days to work on my problem out with? :ROFLMAO:

Phil

Probably more easy to jerry rig a wiper on your van rear windows ?
Though maybe throw of the wiper arm can be a issue i assume.
I am so happy i have a wiper on my rear window, cuz it is also vertical and get a lot of dirt,,,,, i have been contemplating if a spoiler mounted on the top pf the hatch would reduce this to some degree.

The A - team had a rear spoiler on their van.

5eaddfb0ce43f173babf5fda03444b3b

Last edited:
The A - team had a rear spoiler on their van.
I see they have flat plates too, not pressed ones ... look suspiciously like UK plates!

Yep it seem like many A-team fans have copied that GMC van :)

If the monitoring is to be done at home wouldn’t cctv be a better option?

I have these cams overlooking the cars on my driveway and they are watching 24 hrs a day.

7639e99eacc908772e9c092ea780dc4d.jpg

9fc98fb9c724683cff99ecee60fc368a.jpg

Where is your car parked? Private property, street, parking garage?

If the monitoring is to be done at home wouldn’t cctv be a better option?

I have these cams overlooking the cars on my driveway and they are watching 24 hrs a day.

7639e99eacc908772e9c092ea780dc4d.jpg

9fc98fb9c724683cff99ecee60fc368a.jpg

I think it would be better to use video surveillance. And the cameras are in a great location.

Back