Davekyn

Reaction score
Country
Australia
We have chosen the lowest sensitivity setting for Motion detections, yet leaves slowly blowing in a tree 10 metres away in the rear camera are setting it off or a bird quickly flying past 20 metres away. This means the motion detection is going off several times per minute. It does not seem to change the sensitivity from High to Lowest.

Can anyone please advise what can be done to stop the motion detection being so sensitive even on the lowest setting?

Thank You.

I have no answers to the above, but I've just setup a Blackvue DR900S in my other car.
One thing I do like is you can select the detection zone. This reduces the chances of false detection and depending on how far away that tree (= how tall it is). It may fall outside this detection zone.

1) how does relaying info about a Blackvue camera help a user with a Thinkware camera?
2) what good is setting a motion detection zone when you don’t always park in the same location/direction?

All good. I find TieNN89's response quite interesting. I may very well purchase another brand based on the difficulties I am having. In that way I find the information quite helpful.

Being able to control the zone offers up the key point - 'control'

Presently I don't feel I have control with the Thinkware Device where control counts.

Here is what we were told in a nut shell ... " ... point the camera down"
I have to admit with no disrespect intended, that I am somewhat dissatisfied with that answer. I already have the tip of my bonnet in view as too my car's boot. Because most of our footage is taken up with non events (the closing of the car door another issue) and a number of other issues, I am not impressed with today's fancy dash cam tech. That said, I just let it record as is and only focus on that one event that results in a major car accident. All the other so called events are just annoyances to me. We even turned the damn voice over off.

I do like the sound of being able to control detection zone re parking mode but have to be honest ... have given up trying to make sense of the Thinkware device and or dealing with it's support. Lowering the angle anymore defeats the pupose. When I do upgrade, I will be looking for the ability to control the detection zone. That idea I like.

Thanks TieNN89. Sounds like a nice feature indeed.

Take care on the roads guys. The traffic just seems to be getting worse with mind sets as equally frantic.

if you have the tip of your bonnet in view then unless you drive some unusual car it does sound like you have the camera aimed too high, motion detection issues aside having it aimed too high gives poor results from the auto exposure function, general rule of thumb is 40% above the horizon, 60% below the horizon, where your bonnet falls in that space isn't relevant

if you have the tip of your bonnet in view then unless you drive some unusual car it does sound like you have the camera aimed too high, motion detection issues aside having it aimed too high gives poor results from the auto exposure function, general rule of thumb is 40% above the horizon, 60% below the horizon, where your bonnet falls in that space isn't relevant
Yes, that is worth noting. Our bonnet is a very short bonnet and not a usual car. Lowering the camera is not an option. It's already aimed at the most efficient spot. The camera constantly recording non events is not a fault of installation. The more I have to bring this up, the more I regret the over hyped and over priced Thinkware Device.

not saying it's the answer to your motion detection issues, it's just something that negatively impacts video quality if the lens is aimed too high

Smiles. What's with the hang up an continual assumptions of being aimed to high.

Thinkware U1000 is something we are regretful buying based on the amount unnecessary recording after professional installation. I have found other threads on it, but not going to waste my time. We will live with it, but can never recommend this device to anyone. (Edit ... will sell when I have time ... don't like this facet of unnecessary recording at all) I chuckle to think how not one of my friends or family could operate such a device. At least not this one.

Unless anyone has anything to say other than nit picking the camera installation, it's best not to flog a dead horse. When I have time I will be swapping brands based on these responses. That is a sure thing.

I think of the little guy on the island that cries out "The plane ... The Plane!! Boss .. The Plain ..." But instead replace it with respondents hung up on height. The installation is not the issue. It was professorially installed. The U1000 is invasive (thank god we could turn her off), overly sensitive on the lowest setting and takes up a LOT of wasted space recording a LOT of unnecessary footage.

Nothing you can say will change that fact for us.

Anyone in Australia that wants to buy the unit can PM.

I am done with this thread.

1) how does relaying info about a Blackvue camera help a user with a Thinkware camera?
2) what good is setting a motion detection zone when you don’t always park in the same location/direction?

Because I believe that Thinkware should include this option. We're on a forum, a forum for discussion.
Maybe someone from @Thinkware Dash Cam might think this is a great idea and implement it into future firmware if they feel is the right thing to do.

How about instead of jumping on your high horse, have a think.

Example below, it's unnecessary to have the dash cam detecting the top two rows. All it's going to pick up is trees etc or passing cars in the distance.

1600085312409.png

All good. I find TieNN89's response quite interesting. I may very well purchase another brand based on the difficulties I am having. In that way I find the information quite helpful.

Being able to control the zone offers up the key point - 'control'

Presently I don't feel I have control with the Thinkware Device where control counts.

Not a problem, Blackvue isn't the only camera that offers this function. I've played around with a Lukas/Qvia recently and it too has this function.

Yes, that is worth noting. Our bonnet is a very short bonnet and not a usual car. Lowering the camera is not an option. It's already aimed at the most efficient spot. The camera constantly recording non events is not a fault of installation. The more I have to bring this up, the more I regret the over hyped and over priced Thinkware Device.

Can you put up a a photo of the view out of your camera, just so we can see how it's angled.

We have chosen the lowest sensitivity setting for Motion detections, yet leaves slowly blowing in a tree 10 metres away in the rear camera are setting it off or a bird quickly flying past 20 metres away. This means the motion detection is going off several times per minute. It does not seem to change the sensitivity from High to Lowest.

Can anyone please advise what can be done to stop the motion detection being so sensitive even on the lowest setting?

Thank You.
Do you mind sharing a couple clips that show the false positives you are receiving?

With my U1000, it records to several locations on the SD card based on the recording mode.

During normal driving it is continuously recording, and saves files to the Cont_Rec folder. Most of my recordings are out here. During normal driving if it detects an impact, such as an accident, it saves to Evt_Rec. These would be useful when providing info to insurance companies after a colllision. If I push the manual record button to save something worth finding later, it saves to Manual_Rec.

Regarding setting up the parking mode, the camera is always on, but only saves files to the SD card depending on what your settings are. If motion is detected it can save to motion_timelapse_rec, and if impact is also detected it saves to parking_rec.

You can also set a time lapse recording mode for parking where no impact is detected and it will save to motion_timelapse_rec, or where an impact is detected and it is saved to parking_rec.

Your complaint is that the camera is saving additional footage that you don’t desire. However, only files in Evt_Rec, manual_rec, and parking_rec are protected. All other files in cont_rec and motion_timelapse_rec are automatically overwritten on a rolling basis. That is, as the card fills up, it overwrites the oldest files first.

If an incident occurs to your vehicle while driving or while parked, you can go back and look at the saves footage to see what happened and provide info to others as proof. All other recordings are useless and will be erased as space is needed. If you’re concerned that too much is being recorded you don’t need to buy a different camera or set a zone to ignore, you can just buy a larger SD card. The 32 GB or 64GB card that comes with the camera (depending on your market) is really too small anyway.

Does anyone use time lapse only?

Back