motion detection not sensitive enough on GT550W?

gnychis

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have noticed that the GT550W's motion sensing does not quite seem to be sensitive enough, and when it is on and I come to a stop light, it often stops recording. I would have hoped that if there was full motion 10 seconds ago, it would continue recording continuously for ~5 minutes or so before it would go in to "parking mode" (i.e., motion detection). But, instead it seems that as soon as the g-sensor and motion detection sensor stops triggering, it stops recording. It seems like cars moving at a distance are not enough to keep it going.

I wanted to keep motion detection on so that I get a deeper history of video (i.e., my oldest video is a few days old, and not just 8 hours old), however motion detection seems to create more video holes than I'd like. What are peoples experience with motion detection on this camera? Sometimes damage can be minor (e.g., a scraped bumper), but it might take a day to notice it. Therefore, I'd like a deeper history which I figured motion detection would help create.

It is similar to the GT300W before it, best to leave motion detection off as it does not really work well enough for dashcam use.

So, this camera does not have an effective parking mode then. Right?

Also, I'm assuming there's no way to configure the sensitivity.

That was the same behavior I got in the short time I tested it. Seems like the motion detection was added as a marketing gimmick and not field tested very well or at all. At least the image quality is quite good, I just wish it wasn't microsd given the size of the unit. The tiny size makes for difficult removal / insertion for daily archiving.

KuoH

So, this camera does not have an effective parking mode then.

Motion detection on many of these NT96550 cams is a marketing gimmick, like IR lights on other lower end cams.
Not sure if the hardware is capable of a lot more or not, but I believe it may come down to FW. I don't think anyone has pushed this platform FW wise as much as some others. Mobius and perhaps Innovv may be exceptions as there is ongoing FW development in those camps at least.
For now if you want better implemented motion detection look to Korean cams like the Panorama II or Lukas LK-7900.

I have noticed that the GT550W's motion sensing does not quite seem to be sensitive enough, and when it is on and I come to a stop light, it often stops recording. I would have hoped that if there was full motion 10 seconds ago, it would continue recording continuously for ~5 minutes or so before it would go in to "parking mode" (i.e., motion detection). But, instead it seems that as soon as the g-sensor and motion detection sensor stops triggering, it stops recording. It seems like cars moving at a distance are not enough to keep it going.

I wanted to keep motion detection on so that I get a deeper history of video (i.e., my oldest video is a few days old, and not just 8 hours old), however motion detection seems to create more video holes than I'd like. What are peoples experience with motion detection on this camera? Sometimes damage can be minor (e.g., a scraped bumper), but it might take a day to notice it. Therefore, I'd like a deeper history which I figured motion detection would help create.
It is very focal point sensitive.. Center part of video sets it off easily, might be how you have your camera pointed. Saying that if im in a position eg parking lot and want to monitor, I just let it record the whole time. If someone bumps your car you want the whole thing anyhow.

True, but storage capacity becomes a real issue when recording continuously, even a 64GB card only barely gets through a night. The ideal motion detection / parking mode I envision would include among other things, sensitivity adjustment, pre-buffering and trigger length. The sensitivity adjustment is self explanatory and pre-buffering would allow you to capture the moments (say 10 sec) leading up to the trigger event. Trigger length would then set how much longer it continues to record even if there's no other motion detected. That way, you would have a complete record of the motion trigger without wasting storage.

While I don't know capabilities the various chipsets expose to the firmware, pre-buffering and trigger length would seem to be possible to be implemented by firmware if it has contious access to the video stream.

KuoH

Saying that if im in a position eg parking lot and want to monitor, I just let it record the whole time. If someone bumps your car you want the whole thing anyhow.

Back