Motion Detection/Parking Mode/Latest Firmware

Muzza

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I'm seriously considering the CF-100 to replace my G1W, in which the battery has died. I have a couple of questions:

Firmware
Is it likely that product bought now will have the latest firmware, or will I need to update after purchase?

Parking Mode/Motion Detection
I'm a bit confused regarding the dedicated Smart Parking Mode vs the standard Motion Detection. I would prefer not to have to have the camera powered up 24/7 due to the battery drainage issue (BTW, my car has both always-on and ignition-activated cigarette lighter outlets). But I would still like to have protection when the car is parked.

So in standard Motion Detection mode with the car parked and the camera powered down, if my car is hit whilst parked, will the camera activate using capacitor power and record the event?

Cheers

Muzza

firmware: it might already have the latest M1.3 but even if it doesn't, the upgrade process is dead simple. i posted a thread on how to do it in this forum.

parking mode: does not work unless it gets power from the vehicle. capacitor power is only good for about 10 seconds - just long enough to close the video file and shut down the camera once it loses power from the vehicle.

so to have parking mode, you MUST get power from the vehicle. they make battery drain prevention devices so you won't be left with a dead battery, power magic pro is a common/popular one which i think is still on sale at amazon.

firmware: it might already have the latest M1.3 but even if it doesn't, the upgrade process is dead simple. i posted a thread on how to do it in this forum.

parking mode: does not work unless it gets power from the vehicle. capacitor power is only good for about 10 seconds - just long enough to close the video file and shut down the camera once it loses power from the vehicle.

so to have parking mode, you MUST get power from the vehicle. they make battery drain prevention devices so you won't be left with a dead battery, power magic pro is a common/popular one which i think is still on sale at amazon.

Much appreciated!

OK, so I can plug the camera into my always-on cigarette lighter outlet and the Parking Mode will work - great. Not sure that I would need to install a battery drain prevention device. Under what circumstances would the camera drain the battery to that extent?

If I did use a battery drain prevention device, is there a model that has a male plug that plugs directly into the always-on outlet, thus avoiding hard-wiring it into the car?

Thanks,

Muzza

Last edited:
Much appreciated!

OK, so I can plug the camera into my always-on cigarette lighter outlet and the Parking Mode will work - great. Not sure that I would need to install a battery drain prevention device. Under what circumstances would the camera drain the battery to that extent?

If I did use a battery drain prevention device, is there a model that has a male plug that plugs directly into the always-on outlet, thus avoiding hard-wiring it into the car?

Thanks,

Muzza
depends on your car and the size and condition of your battery. it could drain the battery in 3 days, or it could kill it in 3 hours. there's no way to know for sure. you're headed into the summer so it's not such a problem, but here winter is approaching and i've noticed that parking mode doesn't run NEARLY as long now that it's cold. the BDP kicks in and shuts off the camera when the battery voltage drops to 12.2v (where i chose to set it) much lower than that and most cars won't start. even hybrids (as i recently found out with my wife's hybrid highlander)

Serendipitously, whilst searching for articles about battery drain prevention devices, I came across this article in this very website!
https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

It basically concludes that if a car is driven regularly and has a healthy battery, then these devices may not be necessary. My query has been answered, so at least for the time being, I won't be buying a battery drain prevention device.

Back