Motion detection

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
I have the Panorama II S and installed the multi safer. All these pieces work as intended. But when the car is off and the camera is in passive mode (set motion to "YES" in the menu), it constantly records with the "M" showing in the HUD. I have a couple of hours of back to back 2 min clips (per the setting), but the dang thing never stops recording. Is there some "calibration" that I am missing? Thanks in advance for any advice.

(Other specs, 256K PNY SD card -- quickly filling...)

Did you turn Motion Detection to ON in the Panorama S settings menu? That's all you need to do. If it doesn't work try changing the cyclic clip length to a different minute value and try again. (that sometimes flushes out motion detection to work again)

Panorama / Street Guardian SGZC12SG-SS-RC has one of the most sensitive motion detections on the market. Overall it is positive to have a good sensitivity, but is some cases it may trigger even to some non-car / person related objects like tree leaves or flickering street lights. It's always a compromise between sensitivity and practicality.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Here are some experiments I ran to address both questions:

I switched the clip length to 1 min. Motion in the camera, switched off then back on (the M icon shows up on the LCD screen). It sits passively until the first event, then it doesn't stop recording (1 min increments back to back). The street is mildly active, so I thought that if a vehicle drove by during the minute it would auto-extend to the next minute.

To test that, I switched the clip length to 2 min then back to 1. Motion switch in camera is on. I let it begin recording the first event and then covered up the lens completely with a piece of cardboard so the LCD screen was completely black. It kept recording through the 1st minute and then restarted another minute even though there could be no events. I even waited a third minute with the lens covered and it continued to record.

So while I think the detector works properly (it does activate upon first event), it's not shutting itself off after the first event regardless of the ambiance outside the windshield.

Firmware =
2014-12-29 12:30

That's the latest. I remember someone else reporting this and they said the fix was to either change minute length, then turn motion off, on again. (or the other way around) Please confirm you've tried both. I can also private message you the firmware to reflash to get everything back to defaults. (where afterwards you can try turning motion on, and not changing any other settings as as test)

Thanks, Pier28. I did every combination of Motion "on/off", changed cycle times up and down, but pretty much the same result. Works fine up through the first event and won't stop recording.

I am will to try to the default reset instructions. Let me know what I need to do.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the quick help. I will work on firmware reset and I will update tomorrow.

I performed the factory reset and changed only the setting for MOTION=ON (I did this in Korean!) without touching any other setting.

Same results. It waits passively until the first event, then won't stop recording. I tried different cycle times and it makes no difference.

Another observation: while the camera is stuck in the recording loop and the LCD is lit, when I push the center MENU button, it stops the recording (this may be a built in feature), and resets the motion back to passive (not recording until next event).

New Observation: While I was switching back to MOTION=OFF just to try something, with the vehicle key in my lap (parked facing a wall) and the camera powered, it started recording and would not stop. Vehicle is not moving and motion is off. This made me wonder if for some reason the camera thinks it's in constant motion?

I don't know. It seems like it should be so simple, yet my SD card is hot from recording, so I've just disabled MOTION for now and switched my multi-safer to ACC only.

this also effects panorama 2 i had to roll back firmware to get motion detect to work

Pier28 quickly replaced the camera and the new one works fantastic. SGZC12SG
(link to hardwire route and camera profile)
(media link doesn't show up - tried imgur). Let me know if I can post images another way. Thanks again guys, you did a great job in resolving this.

Last edited:
what is the best firmware for panorama 2 with motion detection and good night view having rolled back to an earlier firmware from 1.15.01.
could anybody provide a link to 1.15.02?
any other firmwares anybody could recommend?

what is the best firmware for panorama 2 with motion detection and good night view having rolled back to an earlier firmware from 1.15.01.
could anybody provide a link to 1.15.02?
any other firmwares anybody could recommend?
There are few earlier FW versions that I like personally for night driving, but it has that violet background, however details reading are better. ( v1.12.03-04 )

Back