Motion Detection

s0ldier89

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New to nextbase and should have looked at specs properly first. Gutted to find this does not have motion detection. A camera of this calibar surley should have it?? I upgraded from a 1080 VIOFO a119a after I had a smash and grab. The camera did its job to the best of its ability. As soon as montion was detected it filmed the bastards coming towards the car, so I got their faces. BUT what it failed to get is the VRN. This was the whole reason I upgraded to the 622gw. I feel given the same situation with this cam it would have got the VRN, but all of that would have been a waste of time as it would not have started to record earlier as it doesn't have motion sensor in the parking mode.

Does anyone know if this is coming to the camera? Surley its just a firemware update??? Or am I missing something in the settings??

If anyone interested, the YT link of the bastards doing the smash and grab of a laptop (my idiotic 20 year old lad left it on the back seat ffs) is below.

Cheers all

Lee

Hello Lee,

Motion Detection is not a current or planned feature of the 622GW. The 622GW has Parking Mode instead.
For Parking Mode, if the camera is completely still for five minutes (the car is parked), then the camera will 'hibernate' in Parking Mode.

If your car is bumped and the G Force sensor registers physical movement then the dash cam will automatically turn on, record for 30 seconds and then shut back down again. If you are unlucky enough to be hit twice in a row then the dash cam would automatically record again and capture both events.

Here's some more information about Parking Mode:
https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/dash-cam-features/parking-mode/

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Motion detect is sort of a flawed parking guard mode, in that many / most places you park there are always some motion, and so the camera will often just record all the time.
What i prefer now that it is possible is to record all the time but using the low bitrate parking guard mode, this make smaller files and generate less heat internal ( important on hot days )
Beside that i do also have G sensor on to lock actual events, CUZ the low bitrate are just treated as regular footage, so when it is the oldest footage on the camera it will get deleted to make room for more new stuff.

A 1080p camera i have generate 350 MB files ( 3 minute ) when recording regular, but in parking mode the same 3 minute files are just 128 MB in size.
The challenge when using parking guard is to have a memory card of ample size, the smallest cards i use are 128 GB but for my day to day cameras i do use 256 GB memory cards.
And as i only use parking guard for 1 hour on the timer, then i have room for many days of regular driving and parking guard sessions.
If i should feel like i need more, i can always up the timer in the camera, my low voltage cut off is set to 12.2 volts, which should give me 12 Hours at least. ( small car - small battery )
At home i have CCTV covering my car parked in the back yard ( from a camera mounted on my 2 floor balcony door )

"Motion detect is sort of a flawed parking guard mode, in that many / most places you park there are always some motion, and so the camera will often just record all the time."
Not true... Mine can be off for hours at a time but always picks up the motion when needed. Anyways I took the 622 back and got a refund. For me a dashcam without motion sensor is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
I've gone back to my old dashcam until I see whats out there.
As I say given what happened in my original post the 622 would have been absolutley useless.
Cheers anyways.

Back