Motorcycle Cam

gordon861

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, not really a dashcam as such, but I thought I'd share.

Recorded on a Contour1080P at max res:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi gordon861,

Was that you riding? I hope you were ok after that :eek:

Yes that was me riding, hit my right knee fairly well but recovered now, managed to scratch virtually the whole right side and the read left side of the bike. My main problem was the hesitation as I approached junctions for a month or so afterwards. The otherside admitted liability within a couple of days but then spent 3 months arguing over the value of the bike to repair or write off, went with repair in the end. Police are prosecuting the driver, hence the blocked out bits at their request, I'm looking forward to the court case as the driver seems to have turned down the driver improvement course offer by the police.

Is it normal/legal that people don't drive around a roundabout in england, to me it looks that you and this car before you drive just through the center of roundabout?
I mean, if you look why this accident happened this might be one reason, maybe car was looking to the right, not to the center...

In the UK we have an invention called the mini-roundabout, which is basically a simple way of just saying 'give way to the right'. That location had three entrances and therefore the one I was coming from was to the right and he should have given way to me, as he did for the car in front.

When mini-roundabouts are placed correctly it is possible to drive around them without touching them, but it is not an offence to cut the corner when needed. This is good because the authorities over here seem to use them in locations where it is not possible to avoid them, against guidance.

At that location if I had gone to proceed around the circle in the center to other road users it would look like I was planning to go straight on and accidents would happen as people would pull in front of oncoming vehicles. The police saw this footage and no comment was made about my route through the junction from them, or the other sides insurers who would love to get out of the claim if they could.

Ok. In helsinki we have only one such "roundabout" and it is very confusing because it is basically normal crossroad on straight street and center is painted to tarmac.
But anyway, accidents happens for a reason, and one reason is that very thick A-pillar in some cars, it is very easy to lose bikers and pedestrians behind it.
I have indian made royal enfield and i use it in summer more or less, i use yellow hi-visibility jacket but still once or twice every year i have to do something to avoid collision. I'm older now and sometimes i wonder is it time to stop driving motorcycle, it's not so easy to recover even from small accidents like you had.

I'm still recovering from a taxi u-turning in front of me in London 2.5 years ago, which will probably never heal up.

I also have now switched to wearing a ex-police jacket over the motorcycle jacket and a full hi-vis yellow helmet(http://www.twowheel.co.uk/caberg-duke-f ... ellow.html) in the hope I get spotted. In this incident the driver just wasn't looking and the worry is that if I hadn't cut the corner, instead of him driving into the rear swingarm of the bike he would have driven into my ankle. Despite the fact that I always wear heavy boots this probably would have crushed/broken my ankle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you have recovered, what program did you use to black out the license plates.

I used Adobe Premiere, and it took a lot of messing to get it right.

It has a feature where you can add an object onto a layer and move it along a path and apply rotation to it. You can do key frames and it will draw the in between frames.

Youtube have automated face blur, it would be nice if they transfer it to automated number plate blur also.

I have no problem showing the number plates etc on the video, they are only removed at the request of the police, once the case is settled the full unedited version will go up too.

Back