Motorcycle camera used as dashcam legal in Switzerland?

niciuffo

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Is the use of a camera such as a gopro or similar used as a dashcam allowed on public roads in Switzerland? The Wikipedia page about dashcams says that it's illegal in Austria, Germany and Switzerland, and links to this page: http://www.edoeb.admin.ch/datenschutz/00625/00729/01075/index.html?lang=e.
Is it really illegal though? The page says that dashcams shouldn't be used, not that they are illegal. Can anyone with more knowledge on the subject confirm or deny this information? Am I safe to use a gopro every day in Switzerland?

3rd: in Switzerland, you have - if you want to upload videos - to pixelate Numberplates, Faces, Roadnames etc...
You might find the rest of that thread interesting.

I'm curious, do you have winter tyres on your motorcycle? The idea of riding one everyday at this time of year doesn't sound sensible...

Hi Niciuffo

As Nigel already quoted me:
you can use Dashcams - but if you want to upload the Pictures you have to pixelate everything which can contain personal data (Faces, Number- and Streetplates, etc)...

Thats from an official Statement of EDOEB (Eidgenössischer Datenschutzbeauftragter), the one who should protect dataprotection... Available in several Languages:
http://www.edoeb.admin.ch/datenschutz/00625/00729/01075/index.html?lang=en

Acc. Germany: it's not excatly illegal, as long you are using Dashcams for what they're intended to (including looped recording); no "Privat Police"- or "look how weird others are driving"-Videos allowed (at the moment - who knows when they're chaning their law again).
Austria: real expensive use of Dashcams; skuttlebut has it takes a fine up to 10'000€...

Actually, it's illogical. More and more cases where one has to prove to be innocent - if drivers are taking steps to be capable of proving, they forbid it... Beautyful nice world...

Edit:
fixed baaaaad typos...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back