Motorcycle dash cam(Waterproof)?

Thanks. I'm thinking about using SJ4000 as a dashcam for my bike powering it externally for automatic start/stop. The main problem is that this cam looks too much like GoPro and may be a target for theft. My current K2000 is almost unnoticeable and few people in US even know what it is.

Not so many people can read Dutch :) After considering all options I ordered a SJ1000. I will have the cam permanently mounted and SJ4000 is just too much Go-Pro look a like.

Would be VERY interested in something like this, waterproof, yet able to attach to the bikes' power instead of battery. A wireless microphone option would be nice, Bluetooth ? I just purchased the US version of the
TCL SVC200, a.k.a. the Coleman Conquest. Seems to be more suited to action cam usage than car DVR, as
it doesn't power up via external 12v power. However, it does have a remote, which could benefit from the
inclusion of on/off control of the camera.

Hey guys. Wondering if anyone has found or is running a dash cam on their motorcycle. I have one in my car, no reason not to have one on the bike. Near misses are a daily thing here so it would be smart. I would like one on the helmet but having to plug/unplug, deal with batteries, and turning on/off will be a huge pain. Id rather one mounted to the front of the bike, turn on/off with the bike and cycle video's. More so to prove what I was doing if I get hit. Thanks!
BlackVue Bike SC300
http://www.blackvue.com/Prod/SC300.asp
==========
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...d-other-best-price-retail-and-wholesale.5939/

a2t9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'm thinking about using SJ4000 as a dashcam for my bike powering it externally for automatic start/stop. The main problem is that this cam looks too much like GoPro and may be a target for theft. My current K2000 is almost unnoticeable and few people in US even know what it is.
LOL, SJ4000 will be a good choice as an action cam for bike.

LOL, SJ4000 will be a good choice as an action cam for bike.

If go through the posts above, you can find people has the different ideas.

Warning for thinking of using SJ4000 as your motorcycle dash cam.
I used it for about 3 months, and the waterproof case cracked at the bottom. (the base of the 2 tabs)

The waterproof case can't handle the vibration of a motorcycle and will crack eventually.
Plus having to take it off to charge the batteries are quite annoying.

I am looking for an alternative with constant power supply.
Any suggestion?

Hello there, it is my first post on this forum because the subject is interesting and I will add my own input. I wanted to react to shared experiences above but also add some of my ideas.

I bought this dashcam which had pretty good reviews on the web. It features all we need as a dashcam which is 'fixed' to the vehicle, ON/OFF with vehicle power, etc.
Full HD1080P Novatek NT96650 Chip G1WH 2.7" LCD 140° and it is cheap. I only tried it once yesterday and will have to see how the cyclical-recording worked and quality of image. Will post some examples here later.

Videocam on helmets ?

Everybody is free to do whatever want ! You may have different opinions that I fully respect, I just expose my personal thoughts and conclusions...

But I am fully against the cam fixed into/on the helmet for long term health reasons (neck) but also because of safety in cash of a crash. Let me expose my theory.
It is scary :eek: to see above how someone included the cam into the inside foam of his helmet. In case of a shock, the helmet will absorb the impact, that's exactly its purpose, saving your skull to have to absorb the energy: it will bend inside, much more than what you think. Now, by fixing the cam INSIDE it... the impact will move the shell inside and, logically, push the videocam inside, cause the cam does not bend (solid material), hitting badly your skull, face, eye, depending on the impact's direction. Exactly what nobody wants. If we want videocam, it is for safety reasons and if having one put your life at risk, I don't see the purpose. It is the worst idea I have ever seen, I am sorry to say and apologize for being so direct for a first post.

Now, more seen around, the videocam sitting ON TOP, or ON SIDE, of an helmet: it is not as bad as above but still can have very negative effect on the helmet expected factory protection. o_O As you may know, M. Schumacher probably was hit that bad because of the GoPro that was located on his ski helmet. Reason is that (again) the external shell of an helmet is made to bend, absorbing the impact by using the space between your skull and the external shell to absorb the energy of the impact. The fact to put an external videocam on top of it will create a solid centered point of impact, instead of spreading the energy around the impact. It acts as a sword, focusing the impact into a small spot, hitting the head behind or making the shell to explode instead of bending. We all have to know that helmets are extremely precise designs. they are made to bend, to adsorb impacts. All mods on them are prohibited by manufacturers. Even stickers or not approved painting are not advisable, cause the helmet has to (potentially) brake itself in case of impact to fully absorb accident energy, while a sticker or wrong painting will prevent the helmet to move the way the engineers made it for !

:( And the last point to mention on that is about insurance companies. It seems like riders, that's the main reason of a dashcam from what I read, want to bring some evidence to their insurer that they were not the one at fault in case of an accident. Fair enough. It means that they are 'insurer cautious'. And they are all right to be ! But, big but, if at the same time you modify the helmet protection potential by attaching a viedocam into/ on it, the same insurer will certainly have a nice video showing you were not responsible for the accident itself... but potentially responsible for the injuries to your head ! You can imagine it could potentially claim that manufacturer instructions were not followed properly etc. Check again the story about M. Schumacher, you will read the comments related to the GoPro stating that it was a stupid accident. But that the videocam made it worst: in the US, where insurer have a lot of power, it may make a big difference.
Big question mark on that helmet-mounted cams, would they be on bicycles', skis' or motorbikers' helmets, to my opinion.

Waterproof fixed dashcam project

Now, more on the subject itself: I want a dashcam attached to the bike and powered permanently by the bike. This is actually the real challenge we are discussing here since putting a sport cam to a bike with no power supply and to be taken each time you stop is not really a challenge, means not much to discuss about. ;)

So, I bought the above mentioned dashcam but, as we all said, I am lacking the permanent power supply and the waterproof feature. Like you all do guys, reason for this thread to exist. ;)
-Permanent power supply. This cam comes with a 12v socket which integrates the 5v adapter. Not huge but still not convenient on a motorbike. Since I am driving a BMW K1100LT, it will be easy for me to take two wires from the bottom of the socket and hide the whole adapter somewhere. May not be the case on a naked bike... I will post some pictures of that adaptation once I do it.
-Waterproof: it goes with the challenge of attaching permanently the cam to the bike. Cause attaching a cam can be achieved but once you put a waterproof casing around it, you are back to the same issue: attaching the case to the bike. So actually, if we are buying a NON waterproof dashcam, we will have to think of attaching a waterproof casing to the bike, not the dashcam itself. :D I read all your above subject, thanks for all that info :) and came to the conclusion that, well, the best option would be to build my own waterproof casing. Since we are not (hopefully) going 3m under water on a motorbike (that would be very unlucky) but only face heavy rain or storm, we have to make a casing which is "somehow" waterproof. I searched Google for "waterproof build camera" to see what people DIY experiences and found out that actually, the best would be to buy a cheap piece of transparent plexiglas and cut / bend it to the shape we need to enclose the dashcam inside it. Some silicon, HD-fishtank glue would seal the front and 4xside panels... we are left with only the back side to close while the rain may be thrown from the back due to backwind at speed: nothing too complicated to protect/seal and make a backside which is waterproof enough for your needs, but we can remove and pass through some electrical wires (power supply). I will try to build something in the next weeks and let you know my first attemps... thank you all for all the comments and sharing your experiences, it helped me a lot to think through the issue. Cheers !

Continue sharing ideas and experiences, the world reads you ;)

@antonov, good to learn your post, and look forward to see your further ideas on moto cam.

If you are interested, you can have a look on below blogs seeing how riders install on their bike.

http://innovvactioncam.blogspot.com/

Hi, just ordered two acrylic (polystyrol) transparent sheets 500x500mm as base material. One in 2mm and other one in 4mm. Now, have to wait till receipt !

And added also this item: 3A 15W DC 12V Pour Power Adapter Chargeur Module Convertisseur DC 5V Double machine USB in order to reduce the size of the whole setup and get rid of the factory 12v socket adaptater which can easily be replaced by the above. I took on adaptater with two USB output: the reason is that I will keep one for potential needs (charging electronic devices) and the second one I will cut it and use it to wire the dashcam only.

Some more patience needed I guess !

Last edited:
Hello, all fitted on the motorbike ! I built kind of a transparent box made of acrylyc sheets which holds firmly the NOVATEK dashcam. Itself is powered by the 'light' power supply which means that cam switches ON when I manually turn the lights ON (which you are supposed to do each time you drive) and turns OFF when I manually switches OFF the same, i.e. I arrive at destination.
As said, I took this as an opportunitiy to also get a USB port into the golves'box to charge Iphone or power some other stuffs working on USD 5V supply.
The whole is very discreet, recording of a high quality in 5mn's loops. Good enough for my needs so far.

I understand that some fellows on this forum are kind of 'professionals' and I tell them that YES to my opinion there is a market for a factory-designed motorbike dashcam since safety is a main concern on bikes, the public would be very receptive to a purpose built product. Or at least proper casing since mine is, and only is, a DIY stuff that will last... not as long as a more engineered product would. <Looking forward to get that offered in a decent selling priced !

Hope my DIY is of inspiration to you guys. Ride safely !

redp1019.jpg

redp1022.jpg

redp1021.jpg

redp1024.jpg

Back