Motorcycle dash cam(Waterproof)?

I just unplug the camera and slide it out of the holder when I arrive at work...takes 2 seconds...
I'm sure it sounds like a "duh!" issue but I tried that with a gopro. Personally, I didn't like plugging/unplugging it all the time and then carrying it around. Albeit the mobius is much smaller than a gopro with a case. Neat idea nonetheless!
I still want a sort of dash cam I never need to take off though

Looking for the same thing. It has to be small, discrete, easy to mount, waterproof, with automatic recording. Don't need a display, and has to be cheap. And if it has an easy to replace lens shield it would be great.
Can't find any camera with this characteristics, and I think the first one to the market will make a gazillion sales with the motorcycle crowd.

This one comes close, but doesn't have automatic recording: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-F9-HD-Motorcycle-Bike-Helmet-Sports-Action-Camera-Video-Camcorder-DVR-DV-/171242845473?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item27dede7521 (search "Sport DV F9" on ebay if link dies)

Last edited:
Looking for the same thing. It has to be small, discrete, easy to mount, waterproof, with automatic recording. Don't need a display, and has to be cheap. And if it has an easy to replace lens shield it would be great.
Can't find any camera with this characteristics, and I think the first one to the market will make a gazillion sales with the motorcycle crowd.

This one comes close, but doesn't have automatic recording: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-F9-HD-Motorcycle-Bike-Helmet-Sports-Action-Camera-Video-Camcorder-DVR-DV-/171242845473?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item27dede7521 (search "Sport DV F9" on ebay if link dies)
One step up: Someone in a different thread I was on did mention that the SJ2000 has auto start when plugged in. I can try looking it up if you want.
Anyway, it's a bit more expensive than the ebay one and looks the same but note the difference in buttons.

You can give it a shot with this one. I've exploded my dash cam budget for a while. I did heavily consider the SJ2000 though. I couldn't find a decent place to mount it on my bike. The only place I could see is under the front fairing, between the forks, upper fairing and wheel cover. Only issue with that setup is that vibrations are far more noticeable, faces cannot be recorded as it's a bit low and license plates are hard to read with the light/angle. I tried it on a GoPro2 and I wasn't amazed. Didn't try at night but I wouldn't be surprised with the placement headlights of incoming car will blind it.

Any where else on the bike and I'm afraid people will tinker with it or steal the camera. I've used a GoPro as a camera recorder where I ride. Not plugged, it sucks. Off the bike it's bulky to have in your pocket or carry around. Then it still takes a few seconds to mount which I find annoying. Then I'm not comfortable just leaving it there.

One step up: Someone in a different thread I was on did mention that the SJ2000 has auto start when plugged in. I can try looking it up if you want.
Anyway, it's a bit more expensive than the ebay one and looks the same but note the difference in buttons.

You can give it a shot with this one. I've exploded my dash cam budget for a while. I did heavily consider the SJ2000 though. I couldn't find a decent place to mount it on my bike. The only place I could see is under the front fairing, between the forks, upper fairing and wheel cover. Only issue with that setup is that vibrations are far more noticeable, faces cannot be recorded as it's a bit low and license plates are hard to read with the light/angle. I tried it on a GoPro2 and I wasn't amazed. Didn't try at night but I wouldn't be surprised with the placement headlights of incoming car will blind it.

Any where else on the bike and I'm afraid people will tinker with it or steal the camera. I've used a GoPro as a camera recorder where I ride. Not plugged, it sucks. Off the bike it's bulky to have in your pocket or carry around. Then it still takes a few seconds to mount which I find annoying. Then I'm not comfortable just leaving it there.
Unfortunately Techmoan didn't give the SJ2000 a glowing review. Maybe a few bucks more for the SJ4000

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/12/29/sj2000-helmet-cam-letting-the-family-down.html

Unfortunately Techmoan didn't give the SJ2000 a glowing review. Maybe a few bucks more for the SJ4000

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/12/29/sj2000-helmet-cam-letting-the-family-down.html
Ha, didn't know he finally reviewed it! Interesting review but I do think he was a bit harsh. I've seen some other footage of the SJ2000 and none had that exposure issue (it'd dim but not to that extent). Even in the comments, people posted videos of their recordings and it doesn't look anything like techmoan's experience. Maybe we should find a member on here who has it?

Someone in a different thread I was on did mention that the SJ2000 has auto start when plugged in. I can try looking it up if you want.

The SJ2000 looks like a great option, just a bit over budget but not by much (if it is over 45€ I'll have to pay customs duties, around 25%. I can live with that).

Can you please try and look up if it has the auto start feature? I couldn't find that information anywhere.

Good news
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27862371&postcount=132

Hey everyone,
Just an update: The Mobius waterproof case with waterproof USB idea is NOT dead. I get asked this about 5-10 times a day so thought I would get a message out there. We intend to release it soon but how soon is yet to be determined due to other issues, projects, and scheduling with the factory. However, this idea is very much alive.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Last edited:
The SJ2000 looks like a great option, just a bit over budget but not by much (if it is over 45€ I'll have to pay customs duties, around 25%. I can live with that).

Can you please try and look up if it has the auto start feature? I couldn't find that information anywhere.
I was talking with spytec (in PMs) but he told me that, "The SJ2000 does support auto on/off record and looping. However, it will not remain waterproofed while charging.". You could send him a message to make really sure, perhaps.
The waterproofing shouldn't be too hard to deal with, especially if it'll stay on the bike for a while.

Good luck and let me know if you go through with it.

I found another camera called the Monoprice MHD Action cam:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=10159
It has the bullet form factor that I like. Price is under $100. Looking at the specs I think this camera is a rebadged version of the Polaroid XS80 sold at Canadian Tire, but slightly cheaper.

But I really prefer the bullet form factor of the monoprice over the other ones, I prefer it so much that I'm willing to compromise on its shortcomings. Also it's waterproof without needing an additional case. I'm not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that the monoprice cannot be charged while it's being used, which is a major con for me as I'd like to wire it into my motorcycle.

Another one I really like is the Replay XD mini, which bills itself as the smallest and lightest hd camera on the market: http://replayxd.com/cameras/replay-xd-1080-mini/
Still haven't decided if it's worth the price though. Would be nice if the makers of the mobius or one of the other chinese cams came out with a camera with the bullet form factor, waterproof, and with video quality equal to the mobius, for under $100. I'd buy it.

We carry stock on the SJ4000. It supports auto on/off when connected to power. Some guys have modified the water tight case to allow constant power hook up, they simply reseal it in place.
See it here: http://www.reliable-eyewitness.com/Product.html
N.American warranty!

Last edited:
Just some pics for the USB connection into the back of the Mobius waterproof case, mounted on my motorcycle. Just have to buy a rubber grommet to go over the usb head to stop any water going inside.

2r5chad.jpg[
21291mp.jpg
[/IMG]
2d6r66a.jpg
[/IMG]
4hod5.jpg
[/IMG]

The same for the C1 in the waterproof case...
2ep342v.jpg
[/IMG]
2e1hj12.jpg
[/IMG]
19bdki.jpg
[/IMG]
2nr0r5g.jpg
[/IMG] used this for the C1 to hook it up under the seat.

I wanted a Helmet Cam but I don't like mounting anything on the outside of my crash helmet, looks ****e and can cause wind noise, whistles, which I hate with a passion. So, what about something mounted inside. Discrete, waterproof, and out of the way.
After watching Techmoan's review of the Mobius Camera I purchased one along with the lens extension cable, maybe this is what I am looking for.
I mounted the lens into the breath guard of my Shoei GT Air, then Velcro mounted the Camera itself to the inside of the chin bar. For me it's fine, no clearance problems but if you have a chin like Bruce Forsyth it may not work for you.
Powering the camera was the next issue. Inbuilt battery lasts about 80 minutes so not enough, considered power from the bike but, I don't want to plug / unplug cables every time I get on / off the bike. I just know I would forget and rip the wires out.
Solution, a USB Battery Pack placed in my jacket pocket giving me hours of constant recording time. I went for a 9000mAH capacity which gives me more than 8 hours of constant loop recording, is light in weight and nice and compact.
Well, that's my solution at the moment until something better comes along.
I hope this will be useful to others on the forum who, like me, don't want a brick stuck to your helmet (ooohhhh missus).
CIMG0029.JPG CIMG0036.JPG CIMG0037.JPG

Great use of the lens extension. Post a video if you can

Thanks.
Dont have any video at present, formatted the card. Will post some up when I get out on the bike next.

Do you have links about the case mod for the external power?

No links, it was a customer of ours who did the modifications himself. From what I know he simply used a dremel tool and routed out the plastic infront of the usb connector, then silicone it in place. His requirements are different, he keeps the unit in one place and if needed hooks his laptop to the usb extension to download files.
It is on the mirror arm of a tow truck facing backwards. Works very well.

Back