Motorcyclist records his last ride on Helmet Cam, @264 KPH (Thailand) NSFW (somewhat)

Did the front wheel disintegrate because of the accident, or was it the cause of the accident? There are huge forces on wheels and tires at that speed.

Driving home across Wales this Easter, I got the impression that all the motorcyclists that used to regularly do 100+ MPH 10 years ago are now dead. I didn't see a single ambulance picking up pieces this trip! The motorbikes had got too fast.

I'm not sure what happened? AT that speed any little bobble can be the end, debris in road, etc. I'm guessing all of the bike damage was from his off road excursion.

There where white marks across the road so I'm thinking he may have been approaching a roundabout/junction and had to brake very hard, we see him braking because the speed drops rapidly, but then the bike falls over rather oddly, as though it lost the gyroscopic stabilization of the front wheel - that is why I wondered if the wheel fractured first.

Can't really tell what those lighter colored sections are, markings or patching? Thai roads aren't exactly western standard. :)

Ok, this was on a bypass road with some construction going on.

Posted 8 hours ago
Video: Death of a Thai biker - clocked at 264 kmph

3pm_VI.jpg

A helmet cam video being widely shared on Facebook showed the last moments of a Thai big biker on a road on Petchabun in Thailand's north east.

The speedster on a 998cc Yamaha YZF R1M had just reached a top speed of 264 kilometers per hour when he lost control on the Petchabun bypass on Sunday evening.

Bits of 24 year old Surarat or "Nong Tonkao" and his bike were found over a wide area.

His blood was shown on the base of a road sign. He died after suffering severe head and facial injuries.

The video - entitled "A warning to those who like speed" showed Tonkao lose control after racing alongside two friends.

Sanook said that he had probably encountered roadworks after the brow of a hill and lost control. The road is being widened to four lanes at that point.

The accident occurred near the Night Coffee shop in Muang district after the bikers were coming home from a trip to Khao Kor.

The Yamaha he was riding is a powerful machine that retails in Thailand for about 1.1 million baht.

Source: Sanook

Can't really tell what those lighter colored sections are, markings or patching? Thai roads aren't exactly western standard. :)
If it was roadworks with temporary patches that weren't level then maybe the wheel fractured on hitting the edge of one of the patches under heavy braking. All the spokes fracturing like that suggest the wheel was still experiencing rotational force when it broke. Hitting something head on would bend/fracture the rim.

"Bits of 24 year old Surarat or "Nong Tonkao" and his bike were found over a wide area."
Nice wording!

Thats why it is important to wear proper motorcycling clothe, cuz then the pieces of you are normally kept together.
The guy i knew that rammed a car at 130 or so ( in a 50 town zone ) was in at least 3 pieces as the denim he was wearing was not enough to keep him together.
And it was a utter bloodbath.

He probably would have survived, although mangled up, if his body didn't contact something rigid on it's journey.

There's no reason to go fast on any thai road. Too much stuff happens, too many assorted vehicles not following any traffic laws, or laws of common sense, too many animals,

The road construction warnings and signage vary quite a bit, from nothing, to apprroaching 75% of Western type stuff.

Here's some repaving going on while traffic is free to find away around the workers.

it's not quite as bad as in the Philippines were you all of a sudden run out of pavement, and sometimes you can see a worker leaning on a shovel in the distance.

Back