Mount 0805 to rear of the car?

timebandit

Reaction score
Hi

I want to get a cam to record the rear of the car. It's not enough with front only :(

Is it easy to install/mount this camera to the rear window of a car. Esp on a Volvo V50?

Thanks.

Volvo V50 is an Estate model and I would install it not on rear windows, but on plastic trim of rear centre brake light.
Your problem will be running power cable via flex-joint if you want nice n neat install.

B23VolvoAlt1Large.jpg

The other option is to mount directly to inner roof liner by using some sort of "DIY mounting metal extension plate" the way camera will not be obstructed by rear centre brake light.

volvo__v50_1_6d_kinetic__navigation__bluetooth__pdc__2008_6_lgw.jpg

Thanks for your answer! :)
Yes, I would prefer a neat and nice installation. I have no problems removing panels etc to wire it all up. It's worth it. But I don't like drilling, cuting and modify trim panels. I really suck at that, unless there's a good DIY manual or something.

I also forgot to mention just as the picture, we have a full size dog cage that takes up the entire space :)

Any thought/idea how/what to do is appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for your answer! :)
Yes, I would prefer a neat and nice installation. I have no problems removing panels etc to wire it all up. It's worth it. But I don't like drilling, cuting and modify trim panels. I really suck at that, unless there's a good DIY manual or something.

I also forgot to mention just as the picture, we have a full size dog cage that takes up the entire space :)

Any thought/idea how/what to do is appreciated.

Thanks.

As I pointed out in my previous replay you can attach 0805 to "plastic trim of rear centre brake light". No need drilling, original 3M VHB adhesive double sided tape should hold strong on that plastic surface.

I have bad experience about using tape on these kind of plastic but it might be worth a shot at it.
Consulted my wife and checked the space yesterday. It might also be possible to make a metal or wood plate or something like you sugested but it can be attached/mounted on the dog cage. It might be enough room between the cage and the window. If that's the case it's pretty easy to achieve.

I forgot that I have heavy tinted windows due to the dog and heat/sun. But found video that was still good enough during daylight but during night it's not. Have to do...

I have bad experience about using tape on these kind of plastic but it might be worth a shot at it.
Consulted my wife and checked the space yesterday. It might also be possible to make a metal or wood plate or something like you sugested but it can be attached/mounted on the dog cage. It might be enough room between the cage and the window. If that's the case it's pretty easy to achieve.

I forgot that I have heavy tinted windows due to the dog and heat/sun. But found video that was still good enough during daylight but during night it's not. Have to do...

Can you make picture of the car back door opened to see the cage, so will have more ideas what can be done.

Last edited:
Can you make picture of the car back door opened to see the cage, so will have more ideas what can be done.

Here's some pictures as requested. I think there might be enough room between the cage and the window as the doors have some angle inwards. Both doors can be opened and needed sometimes. But it's no problem to run the cable along the bars in a pretty good way.
IMG_20160424_181159.jpg IMG_20160424_181202.jpg IMG_20160424_181204.jpg IMG_20160424_181206.jpg

That would be the best and good looking install! :) If it really mounts to that plastic I will try route the cable that way. The extra +12V socket is located at the right side when removing those trim panels. Wounder if it's easy to route the cable in that existing connector route.
Time to read on how to remove that trim on the trunk door so the cable can be installed neatly.

I have mounted on the rear window of Honda Pilot SUV at the top of glass.
Run the cable under the seatbelt hole plastic leaving enough slack for the tailgate to open. It is holding up fine for 4 months now.
A bit of cable hanging from the ceiling is not bothering me.

I'm using the supplied adhesive tape with the SG9665GC to mount my rear camera on the high brake plastic cover and it's solid. Wires easily tuck away and down behind the door seals etc. The dealership technicians never noticed it!

Mine has to feed into the boot which has solid rear seats which is why you can just see the wires that then disappear through the harness bracket holes but if feeding to the front it would be invisible except for the little bit at the high brake light cover.

Different car but similar principle.

DSC_0993.JPG

DSC_0994.JPG

DSC_0995.JPG

Back