Mount looks like it will last about a week. Any sturdier solutions?

drboyd

Reaction score
I'd love to see an adapter to 1/4 - 20 so I could use my existing mounts. Looks like I may have to start with a chunk of aluminum and carve out anything that doesn't look like a mount - unless someone has an idea.

??

This perhaps?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111176402105
$T2eC16h,%21%298E9s4l90QlBSE%299U0Q5Q%7E%7E60_12.JPG

My suction cup mount is surprisingly stiff and effective; even holds on the shade dots on the glass above the rear view mirror.

I do have the black suction cup as well. I currently have it holding on the regular part of the glass in the meantime and it does feel strong. Did you clean the dotted area with anything especial? As it is cold over here this time of year maybe that is why it is not holding.

This perhaps?
I was also looking at something like what you posted, but holiday spending has set DashCam acceroies on the back burner for a little bit.
Amazon also offers them from E-PRANCE
Suction

I do have the black suction cup as well. I currently have it holding on the regular part of the glass in the meantime and it does feel strong. Did you clean the dotted area with anything especial? As it is cold over here this time of year maybe that is why it is not holding.

I didn't bother to clean it at all, and was surprised it works. For how much longer is the question though.

My other dashcam (from about 6 months ago) has a clear plastic pad, and that one is getting very weak, so I've ordered a stick on one to replace it, which is smaller too.

Have you guys had any luck with those 3M peel and stick mounts? I'm considering getting the G1W but want a different mount option than the suction cup style due to bumpier than normal area around my mirror in a 2010 Prius. Those mounts you guys have links to above look like the same style socket/cutout area for the G1W but the sellers don't specifically call it out as being compatible. Maybe the G1W was to new for them to add it to the compatibility list?

It will probably be another week before I get my mounts so I am hoping they fit with no problem. On another post discussing mounts in this forum, a member had to do a little trimming. As far as the 3M peel, it sticks good, even in Texas dry desert heat.

Looking forward to your results algeeba. A little trim job is no big deal for the right mount.

Well I received both mounts and, due to the additional angle provided, I prefer the mount as shown on the 2nd post. I had to trim about 1/8" lengthwise, which took about 30 sec. with a small file. The part that slides into the G1W slot is also slightly thicker so I had to file down a bit on each side until the mount could slide in. One could also widen the slot on the G1W but then you would not be able to use the original mount as it would then be too loose. The original mount can come in handy if you want to temporarily install the G1W in another car for example.

On a sad note, while I was installing my new mount, I think my G1W is shot. It was working perfectly the day before and now nothing. Don't know what to do as resetting does not help.

snip....
On a sad note, while I was installing my new mount, I think my G1W is shot. It was working perfectly the day before and now nothing. Don't know what to do as resetting does not help.

The "completely dead" syndrome can often be a battery or charger connection issue. Can you trace the connections with an ohm meter?

Hmmm, so there is hope that I can bring it back to life? Can you please tell me exactly what endpoints to check with the meter. Also, my computer does not see the G1W anymore. What is the easiest way to pop off the cover?

There's a disassembled view on here somewhere... I'd check voltage across the battery first, and then look for fuses or fusable links between the battery and the usb port.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P G1WX 3
jfsoto1988 G1WX 3
Talbas G1WX 5
T G1WX 3
winter4w G1WX 15
Back