Mount Sticker Problem

NRH90

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 622gw
Hi Guys

So I've had my 622gw now for around 5 months, but over the last month or so the sticky sticker on the mount which sticks the mount to the windscreen has been coming away on one corner. I've even returned to the car a few times now for it to be off completely and hanging by the wire.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I've got the one spare sticker which comes in the box but then what when this probably happens again another 5 months down the line??

Hello,

I'd recommend removing the old pad with a sticker removal spray to ensure no residue from the previous sticker is left on the mount. I'd also recommend cleaning the windscreen with an alcohol spray to ensure it's clean and free of debris.

There's a spare pad in the camera's box, or replacement pads can be purchased on our spare parts website here:

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hi Guys

So I've had my 622gw now for around 5 months, but over the last month or so the sticky sticker on the mount which sticks the mount to the windscreen has been coming away on one corner. I've even returned to the car a few times now for it to be off completely and hanging by the wire.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I've got the one spare sticker which comes in the box but then what when this probably happens again another 5 months down the line??
I’ve now had the 622 for a year. I gave up on the sticky pad after trying again and again and again to get it to work. Like you I kept coming back to the car to find the camera hanging by the wires.

It was suggested here I try some stronger pads and I bought some 3M ones that had the same problem. It turned out I already had a load of these pads that I use to affix a GoPro to my motorbike and bike helmet. Both without problems. The problem isn’t with the pad attaching to the glass but the pad that attaches to the camera mount.

I then switched to the suction cup which seemed to fix the issue. However after a short while it too fails to support the weight of the camera. In fact as I write this it has just dropped off again. The simple fact is this camera is too heavy for the fixing mechanism provided.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 5
I have never experienced this with a new camera, and never the pad / windscreen bond.
BUT ! moving a camera ( and put on a new pad of course ) here i have often seen the pad / camera bond fail, even if i have been careful to have clean surfaces, even gone as far as clean / de-grease and then sand camera surface and still it let go.
In those cases i have just put a little CA glue on the camera surface and then pressed it back on the pad on the windscreen, and they they have remained in place.

I've had pad failures on both sides even when doing everything right :( Some plastics don't adhere well to these pads so when I have that issue I scuff the plastic with very fins sandpaper till it's no longer glossy anywhere, wipe that surface with isopropyl alcohol. then when it dries stick it on pressing into it moderately for 3 minutes before releasing. Always works for me and has for many others too. ;)

Using 3M tape or pads you should not mount the cam for 24 hours after sticking the mount in place; 3M's recommendation and again people's experience seems to concur. They should really include that info in the owner's manual of every dashcam but I can't ever recall seeing it, not even once :(

Phil

I have had no problems just slamming cameras in there on Day #1, summer or winter, my problems have always been after moving camera on my windscreen, or for instance to my sisters car as i did with my Lukas back in the day.

The 622 is a heavy dashcam and I'm not surprised the pad is failing.

All you can do is thoroughly clean the windscreen and dashcam plastic, stick the mount to the windscreen and wait at least 24 hours for them to cure before mounting the dashcam module although I've seen 3M instructions saying 72 hours for a full bond.

From what I've seen the 2 series magnetic mount is very strong and if the windscreen is hot from direct sun I can see the mount easily pulling off.

The 622 is a heavy dashcam and I'm not surprised the pad is failing.

All you can do is thoroughly clean the windscreen and dashcam plastic, stick the mount to the windscreen and wait at least 24 hours for them to cure before mounting the dashcam module although I've seen 3M instructions saying 72 hours for a full bond.

From what I've seen the 2 series magnetic mount is very strong and if the windscreen is hot from direct sun I can see the mount easily pulling off.

You're quite right about waiting 72 hours for the full bond to occur but you can achieve 90% within 24 hours. Also, the warmer the temperature during the cure, the quicker and stronger the bond, according to 3M. So, if you can park your car in direct sun with the windows closed for an hour or two after installing the mount you'll be likely to get better, quicker, stronger results. I've found that applying some heat with a hair dryer can also be beneficial.

bond.jpg

That seems at odds with the old trick of using a hair dryer to soften the glue to remove stuck items, but I'm no expert.

That seems at odds with the old trick of using a hair dryer to soften the glue to remove stuck items, but I'm no expert.

According to 3M, there is a difference between the initial bonding and curing period and removing the tape at a later time. The basic idea is that if you apply the tape properly in the first place and allow it to fully bond it has a better chance of staying put.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
el_viejo 622GW 16
B 622GW 15
Back