Fixed! Mounting a GPS Module That Has Lost All of Its Sticky Stuff

Skeezix

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119
A friend recently gave me his A119 dashcam along with its matching GPS Module. I would like to mount them on my windshield but when my friend removed the GPS module from his windshield he boogered the sticky pad, making it un-reusable.

I have another stick pad with a red 3M protector on one side and a clear protector on the other side but I'm not sure how to cleanly remove the old sticky pad from the GPS module. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Buy more 'sticky stuff'.

Available at most home improvement stores - Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

Other options would be 3M Dual-Lock tape, and possibly industrial strength Velcro.

Edit: You edited your post after I replied.

I have another stick pad with a red 3M protector on one side and a clear protector on the other side but I'm not sure how to cleanly remove the old sticky pad from the GPS module. Does anybody have any suggestions?

The easiest way is probably just scrape it off with your thumb nail.

Last edited:
So I tried to scrape off the old sticky pad with my thumbnail but that left a residue of semi-hardened glue on the module's cover plate. Then I tried a bit of 70% isopropyl alcohol on it and then a bit of Goo-Gone, but neither of those would remove the residue. Finally I used a bit of paint thinner. That softened the residue such that I could remove it. Now I have a nice, shiny backplate on my GPS module and I can see where somebody pried on it to remove it from the module.

Strange

When I changed cars a few weeks back the old sticky pad just peeled off cleanly. It sort of rolled off.

Back