Mounting a rear dash cam with frustratingly placed rear screen heating elements

Mio NoVue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my old car and my wifes car there was a nice section smack dab top centre with no heating elements where you could mount a rear camera.
With my current car literally the only spot is in the drivers side corner if you want to avoid the heating elements. If you go anywhere else, including the ideal top centre, then you'll be on a heating element.

I currently have my VIOFO A119v3 mounted this way using a suction cup mount as I haven't gotten round to hardwiring to the front yet. For the first few times it fell off after a day or so but now it's been in place for a week or two without falling off.

My question is come winter time the heating elements will obviously be in use. Have any of you mounted over a heating element and can give your experience, be it suction cup or adhesive mount? If there's no issues at all then I'd just do it in the centre anyway. If people generally have issue with one style mount over another (suction cup -vs- adhesive) as far as heating elements go then I'm not particular - I'd go with whatever works best.

Is it possible to mount the rear camera on a body/trim piece adjacent to the rear window versus on the glass. I've done that in a couple of vehicles and it's worked out well. You may have to use a different VHB tape than what's supplied with the camera depending on the material of the trim piece.

Back