Mounting F770 / F50 in Kia Niro (large sensor binnacle behind mirror)

CodeMonkey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm waiting on delivery of a Kia Niro in the UK and am considering my dashcam options for what may be a somewhat difficult hardwired fit.
The car has a large sensor binnacle behind the rear view mirror as the attached image shows; the mirror is fixed within the binnacle.
In addition there is an auto-dim sensor on the rear of the passenger side (LHS) of the rear view mirror which needs to remain unobstructed.

Kia Niro Rear View MIirror.jpg

I'm keen to include speed camera alerts so have been looking at the Thinkware F770 or F50, with my preference being the F770 as it looks to me like the F50 may have limited angle adjustment and has no means of easily checking that the view is at the correct angle without removing the memory card etc.

Currently my options seems to be either:
  1. Mounting the F770 to the left of the sensor binnacle at the top of the screen (allowing for space to remove the dashcam from the mounting bracket) - I'm uncertain whether the 140 degree view will be sufficient to include the drivers view when filming.
  2. Shim the mounting bracket to raise it's height level with the binnacle so that the camera can be mounted tighter to the binnacle whilst still allowing it's removal.
Alternatively I could go for the F50 (with GPS accessory) and mount the camera to the driver's (RHS) of the rear view mirror, however I think that may obstruct free movement of the rear view mirror when positioning it. Also I'll be left trying to find a mounting location for the GPS unit.

Throughout all this I need to ensure that I don't breach UK regulations by obstructing my view (less than 1cm overlap within driver's wiper range, 4cm within passenger's).

Can anyone suggest alternatives?
Or have I failed to consider something else?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

My Audi S5 has a large 'binnacle' which incorporates various tech including a camera (but of course it is not an integrated dashcam!). This left me with very little option about where I could mount my F750. I spent a lot of time considering where to mount it and in case it is of use to you here are my findings:
1) Since the purpose of the dashcam is to capture incidents it is essential that the lens is placed in the best place and quite frankly that has to be as close to the centre line of the windscreen as possible. If you mount yours to the left of the binnacle then the video will be unbalanced and you'll miss some view of the offside. You might accept this compromise but I couldn't.
2) Since the lens is wide-angle, it can't be mounted too close to the binnacle or else part of it will appear at the edge of the video like a fuzzy shadow.
In the end I mounted mine to the right hand side of the binnacle so that it is partly behind the mirror. I suspect that it will fail the MOT restrictions but that's something I will tackle in 18 months when the car has its first. Possibly it will then pass if I remove the dashcam from its mount. If not in the worst case I'll have to temporarily remove the mount, but at least that will mean that I can use some black 3M mounting pad when I replace it!

Details of my install are here.

My Audi S5 has a large 'binnacle' which incorporates various tech including a camera (but of course it is not an integrated dashcam!). This left me with very little option about where I could mount my F750. I spent a lot of time considering where to mount it and in case it is of use to you here are my findings:
1) Since the purpose of the dashcam is to capture incidents it is essential that the lens is placed in the best place and quite frankly that has to be as close to the centre line of the windscreen as possible. If you mount yours to the left of the binnacle then the video will be unbalanced and you'll miss some view of the offside. You might accept this compromise but I couldn't.
2) Since the lens is wide-angle, it can't be mounted too close to the binnacle or else part of it will appear at the edge of the video like a fuzzy shadow.
In the end I mounted mine to the right hand side of the binnacle so that it is partly behind the mirror. I suspect that it will fail the MOT restrictions but that's something I will tackle in 18 months when the car has its first. Possibly it will then pass if I remove the dashcam from its mount. If not in the worst case I'll have to temporarily remove the mount, but at least that will mean that I can use some black 3M mounting pad when I replace it!

Details of my install are here.

Thanks for responding.
I agree with your point about positioning - my current car (a Cee'd) has a 170 degree camera mounted almost directly behind the rear view which ensured clear footage when my car was hit by a small sheet of scrap metal from an oncoming tractor trailer in April. Without that footage my claim against the tractor driver would have been unsuccessful and I would have taken a significant hit on my insurance.

Since posting I've plumped for the F770 which arrived earlier this week so I'm going to pop into the dealership tomorrow and play with the demo Niro to see if I can fit it on the RHS of the sensor binnacle / pod at the top of the screen. I'm reasonably hopeful as the actual camera is significantly smaller than the rough cardboard model I made to get some basic idea of positioning. With any luck I'll be able to hand the kit over to the dealership with clear instructions on fitting and mounting it ready for when I pick up the vehicle.
Ironically I'd stocked up on black 3M pads but in the UK at least they seem to be supplying the F770 with black / dark grey pads as standard.

Have you gone for the 2 channel version? I put the front camera in the rear of the car and smaller camera in the front, dont really need to acces buttons other to turn on wifi and format once a week when im cleaning it

Have you gone for the 2 channel version? I put the front camera in the rear of the car and smaller camera in the front, dont really need to acces buttons other to turn on wifi and format once a week when im cleaning it

I went for the single channel (may add the rear later) but think I can mount it to the rhs of the sensor pod without issue.
Still waiting on my car delivery, but I've checked in the demo model with the actual camera and all looks good. When my car arrives I'll be mounting the camera and leaving it with them for wiring as part of the pre-delivery inspection.

FANTASTIC idea!
How are you getting on with the back camera mounted at the front Neil?

That would solve my problem which is similar to the OP's but perhaps slightly worse as my sensor housing is huge on the Mazda 2 and as a driving instructor I can't be breaking the rules.
If I have it under the housing just slightly to the left for the cables to be able to be added and removed, I can see about 1 - 2 cm of it below the mirror which is illegal but possibly something I might get away with.

1.jpg

But from the passenger side I think it would bug me, let alone an examiner!

2.jpg

Apart from sending it back I've been considering everything, even including mounting it on the plastic sensor housing or to the left of it but upside down!

If I could have that tiny cam at the front and the main one in the back it would work brilliantly!
I could have the lens in the centre of the screen, it wouldn't be such an obstruction to the person sitting in the passenger seat AND with my tinted rear windows the camera will be less obvious to thieves, especially as I intend to block the blue light on the rear cam with some black tape.

My concerns are reports that the rear cam footage isn't as good as the front and I will need to check that the rear cam lens has the same 140 degree wide angle.

Shocked I didn't think of this idea.
Hope the fitter via Chameleon will be happy to accommodate it.
If this works I could hug you Neil!

So I wound up fitting to the RHS of the sensor pod - not as subtle a fitment as I'd have liked, but the lens picks up the full driver's view.
The sensor pod only shows as a faint shadow to the lower lhs of the video frame, but this was unavoidable if I wanted to get a full view out of the windscreen.

On the plus side, the position doesn't obstruct my view and is partially hidden from outside view by a tinted section at the top of the windshield.

IMG_20160918_121015 (1).jpg

So I wound up fitting to the RHS of the sensor pod - not as subtle a fitment as I'd have liked, but the lens picks up the full driver's view.
The sensor pod only shows as a faint shadow to the lower lhs of the video frame, but this was unavoidable if I wanted to get a full view out of the windscreen.

On the plus side, the position doesn't obstruct my view and is partially hidden from outside view by a tinted section at the top of the windshield.

Thanks CodeMonkey.
Is the lens in the wiper area?
Not sure if I can do this as to get the lens within the area covered by the windscreen wipers would mean I am breaking the law and as it's a driving tuition car, that wouldn't do.

Thanks CodeMonkey.
Is the lens in the wiper area?
Not sure if I can do this as to get the lens within the area covered by the windscreen wipers would mean I am breaking the law and as it's a driving tuition car, that wouldn't do.

Unfortunately the Niro is somewhat awkward in this regard. The wipers sweep pretty much all of the screen, except for small part at the top of the sensor pod and the top corner of the passenger side.
I've decided to fit mine in the only really practical place on the basis that:
- at my height the only thing it obscures is incoming planes
- I've yet to see any of the many drivers on my commute with satnavs stuck directly in their eyeline stopped by the police.

If it helps, I had a similar issue when I purchased my F770 dual channel cameras; I never thought about the law and where I was going to place it at the time of purchase, thinking it would be ok to place it anywhere just until it is not dangerous / obstructing too much of my view.

Eventually I attached the front F770 unit to the underside of my sensor / binnacle housing. You can see my installation here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ra-post-your-pictures.502/page-40#post-278417. My car is a Toyota Auris Hybrid with a large housing behind the rear view mirror too.

I can still see and access the buttons on the unit, though some of it is hidden behind the rear view mirror. Doesn't obstruct my view either (not much anyway and not dangerous either) .

Last edited:
Ah thanks DashcamUser1

I had considered sticking mine to the plastic like that and called my garage who said I could even stick it over the join of the two pieces as it is unlikely to need to come off again.
But a few people told me I would end up with too much vibration if I did that.
Are you noticing any vibration in your videos?

If I put it on the screen under the binnacle housing it's safe enough from the drivers seat but I don't like it from the passenger seat and that's where I'm sat giving my driving lessons.
The pics of my car are above.

Doubt you will get back to me in time to change my mind and place it on the housing as the man to fit it will be here shortly.

Hi Lois,

No I haven't noticed any vibrations with mine in any of my footage. I did use small cable ties though, to attach the holder tightly to the ventilation grills of the housing. I also used layers of new double-sided tape (licence plate tape from Halfords) carefully cut to match the contours of my sensor housing, so not to block all of the ventilation and to act as cushioning against possible vibration. Double-sided tape is rather spongy when put in layers and should absorb the vibration.

The front dash cam doesn't distract me at all. It seems to be in an ideal position since I can see and access the buttons easily enough, yet it does not obstruct my view (not much anyway, only part of the sky when looking up). I installed my front unit so that the camera lens is as close to the windscreen as I could get it. I think it should be less of an issue from the passenger's side (though I have installed mines more towards the drivers side).

Looking at your binnacle, you should be able to get away with a similar setup as mine.

Last edited:
Back