Mounting options in truck bed cap?

EliRDA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0805, some knockoffs, SJCam 5000+ mod - RearView
Okay, gonna post here as it seems best spot but please move if needed.

I have a ford ranger with a cap on the bed area, I have a sj5000 with a bunch doohickey mounts but it seems the cap is too "deep" for want of a better word so none of the mounts would work.
Nor can I mount it on the sides of the cap as it seems I cant get a good enough angle.

So is suction cup to the window my best alternative? Has anyone else tried anything else? The back window is not tinted permanitely, I have static cling tinting on it to keep prying eyes out. I can always cut that as needed.

But I'm leery of putting it gobsmack dab in the middle of the window as that may distract me when looking in my rearview.

Suggestions appreciated :cool:

I cant understand what was your problem, can you place a picture of the place where you want to mount the SJ

OKay, sorry for the delay. This is the camera with as many connectors as I could find in my packets. This is what I want to achieve. And I know the angle here shows it can work but one handed shooting isnt my best with a cellphone.
Its actually a bit too short & to me it looks messy with so many extenders. I was wondering if anyone else was able to use a sj5000 in the back of their vehicle, I'm just doing it in the back of a pickup.
Or would I be better using a suction cup mount on the back window instead?

I didn't realize that SJCam is now a different site, funny part is SJCam has more parts available than the makers site at sjacamhd does, & some prices appear to be a bit cheaper. (shrugs)

Attachments

• Cap1.jpg
    Cap1.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 6
  • Cap2.jpg
    Cap2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Cap3.jpg
    Cap3.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 8
its a lot better to use a suction cup, on the rear window.

Ebay have everything you imagine for Sj cameras

Thanks efcm, I was thinking a suction cup mount might be better too, puts it closer to the window. I've been looking at a couple different sites (wont name which as I know 1 or 2 are here) & getting a shopping list up. Seems the only mount I didn't get with the original kit was a suction mount LOL

Another consideration for you. A guy I used to work for bought a new truck and had a cap professionally installed which had it's own 3rd brake light since it covered the factory one. A few days later he started to go to work but the shifter would not move out of park and he actually broke it off trying to move it. It turned out that the wire feeding the new brake light had abraded and shorted where it was run between cap and bed, blowing the brake light fuse which locked the shifter so the truck couldn't be operated in an unsafe condition. His truck dealer covered the damage but only because he raised so much #&!l ; it wasn't the dealers fault really. They clipped the offending wire tap and told him to let the cap installer fix it from there (which he never did).

Be very careful how you wire things back there and be sure nothing similar can happen to you including wiring done when the cap was installed.

Phil

Thanks Phil,
I never had mine short but my cap was professionally installed also. I can see how the wires can get cut, I had my dad fix mine when I got it over 13 yrs ago help me fix it since he is capable of that, the wires are in a bad spot.
As for wiring the sjcam, not gonna happen. I bought a mess of batteries with it (5 addt) plus I'm gonna pick up another charger when I get the suction cup mount. I've timed the batteries fairly well & can get from a half hour to more than a hour depending on settings & age/usage of batteries so if I travel more than a half hour I will stop to switch them out. Most of my trips today are less than a half hour & if longer I'm under doc orders to stop anyway & get out of the truck & move around so it would give me a reason to walk back & switch them.
The only reason for it really is for the tourist tailgaters I run into mostly in summer months, they given me a few close calls running their trash cars into my tailgate. And it puts the camera into use until I truly figure out what I want to do & also what might come out now around the new year. (Sales, new releases, etc)

Thanks for the info though

Everyone around here (except me it seems) who has a receiver hitch mounts a cheap extended hi-rise 3-ball hitch in it to reduce tailgating. Folks see that big ugly thing aimed directly at their radiator and begin to think. Well, most of them do anyway, always going to be some idiots no matter what.

Phil

Back