Mounting SGGCX2 on GoPro mount

Bamajoey

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just purchased a SGGCX2 and need to mount it on a GoPro mount in a 2018 Tacoma. Does anyone know of a way to do this

I just purchased a SGGCX2 and need to mount it on a GoPro mount in a 2018 Tacoma. Does anyone know of a way to do this
What exact GoPro mount do you mean? Provide some photos.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

What exact GoPro mount do you mean? Provide some photos.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

The Toyota Tacoma pick-up trucks since 2016 come with a factory supplied GoPro camera mount pre-installed on the windshield frit.

It may be possible to remove the mount and replace it with a SGGCX2 mounting plate depending upon how they've attached it. You'll find some discussions on Toyota Tacoma forums about this but I don't know if anyone has been successful yet.

gopro.jpg

gopro_toyota.jpg

@Bamajoey, one option for you may be to mount the SGGCX2 to the left of the GroPro mount behind your rear view mirror and simply leave the existing mount alone. Who knows, maybe you'll find another use for it sometime since there are all kinds of alternative mounts and attachments available for Gopro such as a tripod threaded adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
@Bamajoey, one option for you may be to mount the SGGCX2 to the left of the GroPro mount behind your rear view mirror and simply leave the existing mount alone. Who knows, maybe you'll find another use for it sometime since there are all kinds of alternative mounts and attachments available for Gopro such as a tripod threaded adapter.

probably the better option

On the 2018 Tacoma there is not room between the GoPro mount and the mirror assembly. The 2018 has the camera assembly that houses the lane departure alert and the pedestrian alert with the mirror assembly. I would rather not mount the dash cam to the left of this assembly.

I think the problem is, that all the gopro adapters are made the adapt the GoPro camera itself to a GoPro Mount, not a GoPro Mount to another type of GoPro mount possibly. (the other way around)
Are mount to mounts compatible with each other? I'm not sure how those slots line up exactly to know for sure.
If they do line up, I was thinking something like this might create a flat enough area for you to stick the 3M Adhesive mount to then.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Alu...-For-Gopro-HD-Hero-1-2-3-3-4/32401571746.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1383433-REG/gopro_asbmb_001_mounts_for_fusion.html

If that's not an option, I searched around for "Dummy GoPro Camera" and found some other items that maybe you can DIY to fit and have the flat surface area you need.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272892126295
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282669796721https://www.ebay.com/itm/191722396265(My logic might be backward on these last two, again hard to imagine what is needed exactly)

Did anyone ever find a solution? We had a customer asking about this today.

View attachment 44795

It might be possible to create a DIY mounting surface to attach the standard SGGCX2 to using these GoPro mounts from Banggood. While the flat GoPro plate is really for mounting directly to a flat surface it could conceivably be mounted backwards onto the quick release mount so that the flat plate faces the back of the SGGCX2.

It might be possible to create a DIY mounting surface to attach the standard SGGCX2 to using these GoPro mounts from Banggood. While the flat GoPro plate is really for mounting directly to a flat surface it could conceivably be mounted backwards onto the quick release mount so that the flat plate faces the back of the SGGCX2.

View attachment 44797

View attachment 44796

View attachment 44798

That looks like a good match, they could easily stick the thin adhesive dashcam mount to the flat surface. Might hang over slightly but not much.

Looks like there is plenty of space along side the GoPro mount, why use a bodge when you could mount it properly?
Leave the GoPro mount free for when you want to mount an action camera inside its waterproof case :D

I have a 2017 Tacoma so I don't have the camera stuff behind the mirror. Personally I'd rather install the camera on the left side or below all the Tacoma tech stuff. I use the GoPro mount sometimes for action cams when off-roading, but even if you don't plan to do anything like that I can't imagine mounting the street guardian cam to it would be very elegant.

I have the 2018 Tacoma with all the safety camera equipment mounted above the mirror, with the GoPro mount to the right of it. I removed the GoPro mount and mounted the SGGCX2 in its place. It’s been there for almost a year with absolutely no problems.44821

Last edited:
I have the 2018 Tacoma with all the safety camera equipment mounted above the mirror, with the GoPro mount to the right of it. I removed the GoPro mount and mounted the SGGCX2 in its place. It’s been there for almost a year with absolutely no problems.

That’s what I would do if it was my vehicle. Just take it out.

Some people have also mounted their camera off their sensor array on the windscreen.
The one in the picture seem fairly flat, so should be possible to get a good "stick" on it.

I tried to order the banggood mounts.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 2:57 AM
Subject: order xxxxxxxx
To: streetguardian

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for placing an order on our website.

We regret to inform you that the item in your order is sold out and will not be available again.

Would you like to request a full refund or change the sold out item to another one?

We apologize for this inconvenience and look forward to hearing from you soon.

If we do not receive your reply within 3 days, we will cancel this order for you.

Best regards,

Smile

Back