Mounting Solution

DL10

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a dash camera owner prior to finding this forum. I have the top one - DR200 and works great, minus the 480p quality. I mounted it right above the center mirror and having it also record inside car, it gave me almost 360 coverage because you could see out the side & back windows too. After reviewing this thread: http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=521 I wanted to help.

I purchased the F500LHD after great reviews on here, received it about 6 weeks later and have had great results with it. Obviously much better day/night quality. The suction cup mount is way too big (order the smallers ones for $5) or do what I did. Purchase the Tetrax Fix, place magnet on back of mirror and now you have a solid mounting solution, that also allows you to remove the dash camera at anytime (big must). Now if only the camera screen would turn off after X secs automatically that would be great!

8663294792_2efed47f93.jpg

8662197235_d46c5e2f5d.jpg

8704330983_c70f8d3338.jpg

8705454406_14a5a4f05d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi DL10,

That is a great idea for a mount. Never heard of Tetrax Fix before but it seems like a nice solution. Does it easily come off or vibrate on bumpy roads?

They have a large line of magnet products. I use their vent mount for phones and GPS. They are very solid and the magnets are designed not to interfere with electrical products. Because the magnet is so strong, bumps and movement does not affect the camera. To remove, slide down (do NOT pull away) and the magnets will separate. The magnets are held on with some very good peel away glue/tape.

This solution or the smaller suction cup mount are the only 2 I would ever consider. Since the F500LHD screen does not turn off unless done manually, hiding it behind the mirror prevents the driver from always having to turn it off. Big perk!

I like the solution of the camera mounted on the back of the mirror but the problem I see is the right angle because the mirror is not parallel with the dashboard but have some angle. Also moving it by two drivers can give some problems, but I think not big.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi there,
I liked your proposed solution. Nevertheless, i do have a question.
I see that the cam is attached to the tetrax. Is the cam attached directly to the tetrax permanently via the 3m adhesive tape supplied ? From the picture i see no plastic mount connected to the cam.
If the answer is yes, how can you configure the unit without the lcd?

If not, please explain.

Getting the right angle is minor. I test fitted it using the LCD screen to make sure it was within view. Any small adjustments (if different drivers) could offset the angle a bit, but I cant see it being much. Besides, look at it this way, if an "Event" happens to the far side of you, you can quickly angle your mirror thus pointing the camera at the "event" you want to look at!

The magnet is 2 parts, one mounts the camera, and the larger one to the back of the mirror. It uses super duty sticky to adhere to the plastic. I mounted the magnet on the camera below the hinge (above the silver strip) where the lens is at the bottom. This allows the screen to still be viewed and the camera hinge to still operate (if needed).

I also have a question about your solution.

How well would the magnet hold if you attached it to the bottom of the camera, and attached the other piece to the dashboard? Is the magnet and camera as strong that way?

Updated my 1st post with more photos of the magnets and how they are on the camera and the mirror.

The magnet is pretty strong, it has a curved design which helps even more in holding it in place. Regarding the dash, the sticky may not adhere well to the porous dash material. Could be wrong though. For ~$15, its worth a shot.

Thanks for the updated pictures. That magnet is smaller than I expected. Seems like a very nice mounting solution.

Yeah it works okay. I ordered the smaller suction cup mount 2 days ago and will post pictures of that once I get it. So far the F500LHD has been a great camera. Still cheaper to buy x2 of these than it is to buy 1x dual view camera.

I ordered one to try this out, since it seems to be a great solution. The only issue is that there is nothing to stop the camera from rotating about the magnet. Mine ends up swinging like a pendulum. How did you overcome this issue? Do you have the top of the camera pressed up against the windshield? Even so, seems like it would slide down on the first bump and/or vibrate against the windshield...

Rotation was something I was lucky with. I knew I wanted the top part of the screen to stick out, so I could see the red blinking recording on the screen. It just so happens my height, angle and car mirror design, the top of the camera just barely hit the windshield.
I wish the Tetrax Fix came with 2 magnets and 2 mounts. Instead it only comes with 1 magnet and 2 mounts. This would really guarantee a solid mount and no movement at all.

That or the dash cam companies starting looking at universal clamp on mirror solutions instead. They make awesome ones for radar detectors, cant be much harder for cameras, see Radar Detector Mounts. This might be able to be modified for the DVR-007 / DVR-027.

I have been away for quite awhile and just saw your post on my thread with a link to this thread about mounting on the mirror. It looks great. The black one is out of stock right not so I will have to wait.

Expoxing a bar for it to clamp onto did not work for me. The expoxy did not hold, partly because the mirror is curved, partly the surface.

Hey guys, I need some help finding an original size suction cup mount for my F500LHD
My original one got broken and I have bought 2 from Alibaba (1 recommended on this site)
but both of the bases that sticks to the glass are too big (they get caught at the bottom of video, original does not)
I cannot even find the broken original to measure it.
So can someone direct me to the original size please,Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
youri DOD F500LHD, F900LHD 0
Back