Mounting Suction mount to "dimpled / dotted" area of wind-shield by using CAP from "Pringles"

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Many cars have this "dotted" sun-shade area behind / around rear-view mirror where majoroty of suction mount type brackets will not stay long and fall down, but because that "dotted" area is truly a sweet spot to mount dashcam, for long time I am using CAP from "Pringles" to solve this issue. So now I had time to put video / pictures together and share with you.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a4-2.jpg

I think I will give this a try as my van has this dimpled area behind the mirror also.

Thanks for taking the time to post this Nico..

I think I will give this a try as my van has this dimpled area behind the mirror also.

Thanks for taking the time to post this Nico..

You are welcome.

I've tried the Pringles Cup and cellphone screen protector but none of those worked. Any other help with this because I'm down to no other options beside just mounting it below the black dotted lines. Thanks.

Some vehicles the black dotted section is just too coarse, either move it down or use a 3M bracket if one is available for your camera

we use hot glue to mount dash lights in emergency vehicles. A dime sized dab in the center, then immediately slap the cam on the window, hold in place for 30 seconds, and then pull the lever to lock.

How does the double sided tape hold up over the long run?

I have a scrap piece of smoke colored acrylic, still with factory paper backing on both sides, that I can cut with a circular saw to use in place of the Pringles cap. It's 1/8" thick, a bit heavier than I like, but will provide more stability and rigidity during on/off cycles with the suction cup. Besides, that's what I found in the garage and the price is right. The key is finding the right adhesive that will work on the dot matrix over the long run. Any recommendations?

3M brand, VHB tape.
Comes in clear if you want.

Apply in moderate temp, for glass i'd do it at night or in a garage.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jaime. I researched VHB tapes, and learned that there are several types of VHB tapes out there. So, I decided to call up 3M directly. First I was referred to their Automotive Aftermarket Division, and the person I talked to offered a suggestion after consulting with one of their engineers. However, it was not VHB, and looks like it won't hold up to the potentially high temperature exposure on windshields. He acknowledge that VHB is much stronger, so, he gave me the VHB group's phone number, 800-362-3550.

I explained this particular application to the technical support person, and he recommend Product No. 4941, which is "comformable". It also has very good temperature tolerance. I actually ordered from Amazon Product No. 5952, same configuration as 4941 which is gray, 1" wide, 0.045" thick, 3 yards long, but in BLACK. Amazon is an authorized 3M dealer according to the first tech support person, so you can be sure that they're not fake. I need black for other projects that I have in mind.

Here's a link to a the 3M VHB Tapes Design Guide. Just be careful with the color that's listed. For instance, the one I ordered, 5952, is listed as dark gray. The tech person said it's actually black, and the Amazon specs also say black.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediaw...evTSeSSSSSS--&fn=VHB Design Guide Low Res.pdf

VHB is used in a lot of automotive applications. And they do have several options.

There is another brand floating around out there that i've accidentally bought before, but its crap compared to the real stuff. 3M uses red backing material on all VHB products, and the other brand looked the same. Real VHB has the 3M logo repeated on the red backing material.

The only reason that I said clear, vs the black, is that the black will absorb heat significantly more then the clear. Since its going to be on the window and directly exposed to the sun, i'd be concerned about it loosing some adhesion... not that the dash cams are that heavy.

We use the standard gray VHB to hold window mounted dash lights, instead of the suction cups they come with.

Sometimes i think the entire fleet is held together with VHB.

An update - last weekend I went to Tap Plastics, a local plastics store, and found a few options that can be used for our purpose. First are the circular disks that sell for under $2, made of clear acrylic. Then there's the surplus or remnants bin, where they have materials in various shapes, sizes and colors for dirt cheap. I actually found a black acrylic piece for $1.50 and they cut it into a 3" x 3" square for free. I wanted a slightly bigger area in case I change mounts or camera in the future and have to move the suction cup to another sweet spot.

They I went home and found an old but never used suction cup mounting disk from my long retired Garmin GPS unit. This one looks really nice, so screw the wider area idea. I peeled off the original tape, and replaced it with strips of 3M VHB black tape. I'll keep the cut acrylic for future use. Pack rat at work.

This DIY Pringles idea is pretty cool but if you want something all black with adhesive pad ready to go just Google, eBay, Amazon search for :

Suction Cup Disc
Or
Suction Cup Disk

c912e1ed0e0653836fe3b430c97a0b8a.jpg

Last edited:
Am trying a cheap alternative as we don't eat Pringles.
I had a pack of blank CDR discs and there was a clear plastic disc that I was able to cut down to the size of the dashcam mount. This mount disc was stuck to the dimples with double sided carpet tape.

Oh wow! I remember when I had trouble attaching my G1W mount to the dotted area...my compromise was to mount it 3/4 on the windshield 1/4 on the dotted part...that worked pretty well but your method is a lot better. Wish I would've seen it back then. Would have made my dashcam a lot more inconspicuous.

Found my double sided tape does not work, just been out to the car to find the camera mount and camera hanging from the USB cable.Will have to get some better sticky pads- may use car interior mirror ones instead. The other ones I have in stock are for the number plates.
On the good side the plastic disc was still on the mount so that bit works.

I got this disk with an old satnav. Works great. I still have the protective plastic on it. I will use it when my can arrives. I have one in my wifes car, when I installed it, I left it for 24hrs to bond.

Attachments

• 20141207_104459.jpg
    20141207_104459.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20141207_104512.jpg
    20141207_104512.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20141207_104545.jpg
    20141207_104545.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 24
Many cars have this "dotted" sun-shade area behind / around rear-view mirror where majoroty of suction mount type brackets will not stay long and fall down, but because that "dotted" area is truly a sweet spot to mount dashcam, for long time I am using CAP from "Pringles" to solve this issue. So now I had time to put video / pictures together and share with you.

View attachment 4778

View attachment 4779

View attachment 4780
I am in blanch also, great vid. Thks

Back