Mounting + wire+trim advice

Kaitlyn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just got a new 2020 4Runner. Wondering two things: Mounting location and finishing my wiring.

Pictures here:
Code:
https://imgur.com/a/Nrg92ts

The front windshield mirror area has the big black box which I believe is part of Toyota's safety system. Then there is also the black dots which I think are the antenna, and could also affect mounting?

Wondering if I should mount it on the left/drivers side, where it seems like there is a bit of a cutout it could fit in and be mostly behind the mirror, or if I should go to the right of the black box "out in the open" on the passenger side? Any thoughts on one location vs another?

I've run most of my wires behind the headliner/weatherstripping, but it's the plastic trim I am having most trouble with. I can use the pry tool to pry it open a bit but I definitely don't want to pry too hard and risk cracking/breaking the trim or one of the clips or whatever is holding it in place. I'm also most concerns with the A-pillar and the other trim beside the rear seats, which hold the airbags. Any advice for running the wires behind these trim pieces? One of the wires is thinner than the other.

Thanks!

The front windshield mirror area has the big black box which I believe is part of Toyota's safety system. Then there is also the black dots which I think are the antenna, and could also affect mounting?
the black dots (frit) is just cosmetic, it's not an antenna

When routing wires and cables near airbags, you need to either run them behind the airbags and related wiring, or follow exactly the route the factory uses for their own wires going through the area. With 2-channel cams, it's usually easier to run cables over the headliner once you go up the A-pillar so as to avoid airbag issues.

With most cars, there's a YouTube video somewhere showing how to safely remove interior trim pieces, or you can seek advice from a dealer or car audio shop. Or have them run the wiring for you.

Phil

Back