Mounting

gunnydon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new to dash cams. Got a Rexing S-1 for Christmas and just found out Oregon law prohibits mounting on the windshield. I'm trying to figure a way to mount it to the dashboard. I would like to move it between vehicles, any ideas?

I'd have a closer look at the law first- sometimes certain things are permitted. And in the US those laws are almost never enforced as long as it's not a blatant violation since GPS and road toll transponders have become so prolific. I'd also look at the fine; if it's fairly low I'd chance it. A properly mounted dashcam is hardly noticeable from the outside, especially with so many cars having sensor pods and such in the same area ;) In about 7 years of keeping up with this and other dashcam sites, I've not heard of one single incident of a person being charged with a dashcam mounting violation but in the UK a few have had to remove theirs to pass the MOT (vehicle inspection).

Here in SC use of "electronic devices" while driving is prohibited, but excludes factory fitted equipment, car monitoring devices (gauges), and driving aids. Since I review my own driving habits occasionally my dashcam is a driving aid and therefore legal :cool: As to placement it can't block the driver's vision, that's all.

Phil

If you do not want to risk a ticket, perhaps your Rexing can still be returned, and replaced by a rearview mirror camera. These should be legal in Oregon, and are much easier to move between vehicles.

I'd have a closer look at the law first- sometimes certain things are permitted. And in the US those laws are almost never enforced as long as it's not a blatant violation since GPS and road toll transponders have become so prolific. I'd also look at the fine; if it's fairly low I'd chance it. A properly mounted dashcam is hardly noticeable from the outside, especially with so many cars having sensor pods and such in the same area ;) In about 7 years of keeping up with this and other dashcam sites, I've not heard of one single incident of a person being charged with a dashcam mounting violation but in the UK a few have had to remove theirs to pass the MOT (vehicle inspection).

Here in SC use of "electronic devices" while driving is prohibited, but excludes factory fitted equipment, car monitoring devices (gauges), and driving aids. Since I review my own driving habits occasionally my dashcam is a driving aid and therefore legal :cool: As to placement it can't block the driver's vision, that's all.

Phil
Thanks for your reply it's much appreciated. I went ahead and mounted it on the windshield behind the mirror where there's no obstruction. I'm not watching the tiny monitor while I'm driving anyway.

If you do not want to risk a ticket, perhaps your Rexing can still be returned, and replaced by a rearview mirror camera. These should be legal in Oregon, and are much easier to move between vehicles.
Thanks, sorry for the slow response.

We are allowed dashcams in the UK but they must not be placed anywhere within the drivers side windscreen wiper sweep area. That makes sense to me and the most common placement is behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side. Make it discrete and probably no one will bother you, as posted by other US owners.

Back