Moving from one car to the next

RC23

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I will have another car in a year and would then move the A119 V3 there. What technique do I use to get the holder off the windscreen? With a hair dryer and then a plastic spatula? Which adhesive tape should I use in the next car? What hints do you have?

Thanks

I remove my mounts with a very thin sharp putty knife on a warm day. I carefully work the blade between glass and pad rocking the knife back and forth sideways, then when it's about 2-3mm in between I lift the knife away from the glass and hold it there for awhile to give the adhesive time to peel away some. Repeat the process as much as needed and at some point the 'lifting' motion will cause the rest up the adhesive to release except at the far end. Then I pull on the mount while using the tool rocking back and forth again to release the far edge without stretching the pad apart from the mount.

Slow and gentle are the keywords with this method; it may take me 5 minutes to get the mount off but if I don't hurry it the adhesive pad can often be reused, although it will not stick as well the second time so you have to keep an eye on things from then on. Best to use a new adhesive pad ;) There should have been a spare adhesive pad with your cam in the box. If not (or if you've used it already) a PM to Viofo here or an inquiry to their support email can get you another one. Or you can purchase the tape as a "3M" brand product; the type supplied with most cams is #5952 if I remember correctly (which I may not :eek:). Other stuff will work but I'm not familiar with it.

Phil

Yes be careful with GPS inside mount on viofo products.

There is also the string saw approach using a piece of string to saw thru the sticky pad, here it is of course important to saw along the windscreen as otherwise the string will also saw into the plastic of the mount.

I have gotten hold of a little roll of clear Tesa brand dual sided tape, that seem to work fine, it is meant for outdoor use and UV resistant, but there are also 3M brand tape.
Clear or black tapes is what you would want for stealth reasons

Thank you, that sounds like experience. That's how I'm gonna do it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HONK A119 V3 13
Back