MT1 adjustable recording bitrate, please.

DesertBike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Viofo, would you please consider making the recording bitrate of the new MT1 system user-adjustable, in the original firmware?

Many dashcams seem to come with a fixed, 12 Mbit/s recording rate. This rate is OK, but the video quality is not all that good. With my A129, I am running a custom firmware that raises front camera bitrate to 28 Mbit/s. This dramatically increases clarity and detail in the video. I have a better chance to read a license plate, for example, in the event of a hit-and-run accident.

I don't care about larger file sizes. 128 and even 256 GB SD cards have become pretty cheap. PC hard drive space is even cheaper, so video file size doesn't matter to me.

There's a fellow who's made modified firmwares for the Viofo A119 and A129 systems, but it would be even better if recording bitrate were selectable within the factory firmware for the MT1.

Maybe he (BCHobbyist) is already planning modified firmwares for the MT1, I don't know.

Are you still using 12Mb/s ? That looked terrible as soon as there was any speed under trees!
Mine is using 16Mb/s and is pretty good most of the time, seems like a good compromise for most people.
Would be nice to have the option of a bit more for making movies, or for those motorcyclists who like to do 200MPH!

On the Viofo A129? I was using the default 12 Mbit/s until a few weeks ago, when I decided to try the BCHobbyist firmware.

He offers a bunch of different options for a few Viofo systems. I chose one that doesn't change the image sharpness, but boosts front camera to 28 Mbit/s. I can't remember whether it also increases rear cam rate. That's not as important to me, since it's typically the front cam that needs to capture more detail (e.g. license plates).

Right now, I don't have a motorcycle dashcam. My Innovv K2 kept malfunctioning, so the DVR is off being looked at by the vendor.

When I was still trying to get the K2 to work, yes, I also experimented with increased-bitrate firmwares there. The one I used most often boosted both cameras to 20 Mbit/s. It helped a lot.

Back