multi channel system with separate dvr unit

Well the features sound good, but I have doubts about the sensors being 1080p, they just look like repurposed webcams to me. Also, the highest bitrate is only 2mb/s per camera. That's going to be some blurry looking 1080p!

"Each camera supports up to 1080p30, ideal for capturing vehicle plate number."

I doubt it! Note the specs state 1080p/25.

KuoH

i saw the 25fps but later down the spec sheet it was 1080/30. i overlooked the bit depth. 2mb is not going to be enough.

they use these on buses in China, for that they're ok I guess, cameras aren't small though, not really something you'd use in a consumer application

size doesnt matter as they can be mounted externally and offer genuine night vision for security purposes all be it black and white.

(i have 720 on my RV that has good night vision and often wonder why dashcams are so poor at night )

I am very interested in finding a similar product. The Lukas LK-7300G is single channel and not entirely hideable (it asks to mount the control box in a accessible location). I was very excited to see this post and then disappointed to see the horrible bit rate. I'm not too experienced with surveillance products, but taken from Google/YouTube, the bit rate for a standard quality 1080p upload is 8Mbps and 720p is 5Mbps.

I did some more searching and found the following similar product with claims of HD cameras capable of up to 120fps and 8Mbps per channel (the listing contains conflicting information but if true, WOW lol). I would immediately consider purchasing that product if the specs are accurate. I think that it is more likely that it is 4ch*30fps=120 total fps.

Also, some of these types of DVRs support 3G/4G LTE which if it is possible to link to a family shared data plan would allow you to track the location of your car too. It looks like many of these types of DVRs have bundled fleet management software and apps which would still be cool on a personal and/or family level.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/1080P-4CH-CAR-DVR/400902_209875385.html

More specifically:

and

Some additional questions I would ask are:

• Does this type of DVR have power management so that it does not drain your car battery?
  • Does it have a backup battery? In case of a major accident where the power disconnects, will it keep recording or at least not corrupt the existing video upon power failure?
  • Does this type of DVR have a parking/security mode?
  • Since it can be internet connected (3G/4G LTE and/or WIFI), can it push alerts to you? This would be great in parking/security mode as your driveway probably has sufficient WIFI signal from your house. It could alert you if anything is happening beyond your notice (4am break-in, or break-in while sitting in driveway while away on vacation type thing).
  • How low profile are the cameras and how easy are they to mount and dismount?
  • Is there or will there be future firmware updates and easy access to support?
  • Are there attachable lens filters?
  • Is there, or will there be an OBDII addon module like Lukas has? That thing is pretty cool.
  • Lastly, is there demo videos of this system in action? A clear day and night clip of the system in motion could be a major selling point.

If anyone has experience with these products and/or the seller it would be great to hear more details. I know my post has a lot of wishful thinking :p

Last edited:
Right next to your house you are better off using a dedicated cctv camera, i have a 1080 P camera on the spot where i park my car.
The 4 channel DVR i tried in my car ( with regular 700 TVL cameras ) did not have battery protection.
I dont think it have a build in battery / capasitors to end the last recording so its not corrupted.
I would suspect it do if it have a build in G sensor, motion detect was in my DVR but not somthing i used.
All the cameras in these kind of systems seem pretty large to me, and to me it look like they are mostly geared towards the public transport segment ( inside busses and so on )
But it would proberly be fine on a huge winnibago or simmilar house on wheels.
The low bitrate will render recordings made while moving more or less useless.
I think the 8Mbps bitrate mentioned is the total bitrate, so with 4 cameras running each will just have 2 Mbps to make do with.
The lukas OBD2 module is cool, but it only have full functionallety with some brand / models, so as long as thats the case i will not go there even though i love the idea.

Get good dashcam for car when driving, and parked avay from house.
Get good IP camera for driveway / house, these can have modtion detect zones and start alarm or just send mail to smartphone, and you can remote log on to it via smartphone when you are out on the town / on holliday.

My old system and me babbeling on in Danish.

Back