Multi channel wifi or bluetooth cameras without monitor/screen

farmergeorge

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings wise dashcam guru's. I am green to this field. I don't have a dash camera or back-up camera in my 2003 Dodge Ram 3500. I periodically pull a 35' 5th wheel or a 27' utility trailer with my tractor onboard and am looking for a camera set-up that allows me to see how close I'm getting to smashing the car in front of me when parking or the one behind me. I'd love to find a system or bunch of cameras, that will wirelessly send my iphone 6 plus the video they are seeing. It would be great if I could magnetically attach a camera to each side of my trailer when towing/parking and see what's behind me and how close I'm getting to it as I back up instead of asking for help or getting in and out of my truck multiple times to check. I don't mind having cable type cameras so long as there's a box in the truck that can send the incoming signal to my phone for viewing. Does anyone know of a camera or cameras that operate in the way I'm describing? Many thanks, in advance!

George

hardwired system is better, among other problems there is delay on the wireless type that can mean you can hit something before you see it as being that close

hardwired system is better, among other problems there is delay on the wireless type that can mean you can hit something before you see it as being that close
I hear you, but is it that much of a delay where I'd hit something if I was backing up very slowly?

Biggest issue is if you get some wifi interference and the image freezes for a second just as you start to accelerate, you see you are not moving so accelerate harder, then the image returns just as you are about to hit a child that ran behind you - it is not safe.

Biggest issue is if you get some wifi interference and the image freezes for a second just as you start to accelerate, you see you are not moving so accelerate harder, then the image returns just as you are about to hit a child that ran behind you - it is not safe.
I don't think my scenario poses the risks you are talking about as I'm looking at backing my 5th wheel into it's parking spot and the same with my equipment trailer. No kids play on my farm, unless you count the goats..., but I'm guessing that based on your feedback and that of Jokiin, you don't have any recommendations on multi-channel systems that send wirelessly to my iphone.., right.

I don't think my scenario poses the risks you are talking about as I'm looking at backing my 5th wheel into it's parking spot and the same with my equipment trailer. No kids play on my farm, unless you count the goats..., but I'm guessing that based on your feedback and that of Jokiin, you don't have any recommendations on multi-channel systems that send wirelessly to my iphone.., right.
Most of the Wifi cameras will send live video to iphone, although some may struggle with the distance, you could also look at action cameras with wifi.

I'm not going to recommend using any cameras for reversing, best to use your eyes and mirrors in my opinion, however I will suggest the Bluskysea B1W as one for you to look at, which happens to have wifi that is longer range than most. If you are reversing into a parking spot on your farm then maybe also get a tripod, then you can place it on the ground to the side which will give you a better idea of distance than looking rearward from the trailer, a 2D image is not great for judging distance unless distance is across the image.

Most wifi cams can do this as long as you get a good signal. IMHO that will be your biggest problem here since dashcam wifi's aren't hi-power as they normally do not need to be. Yes hardwire is better and safer, but with due caution (which I'm sure you'd use to protect your investments) this could work well enough. And ditto on the B1W for a good choice: powerful wifi, small form-factor for easy mounting, reliable, good in low-light and daytime, and relatively cheap so no huge loss if it doesn't work out. You could use it as a dashcam then making it no loss.

Phil

Back