Multi input Rear view camera/dvr

phy6

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have small two seater with no visibility out the back (Lotus Exige S).

The cars existing rear view mirror was removed during a windshield replacement (it was literally useless anyway, see picture). There is no windshield mount currently.

The only reason for having a rearview mirror at all is to make re-inspections easier in case I get some numnut inspector who thinks it has to be there. Otherwise it's safer without it because of how much front FOV the stock mirror takes up.

Anyway here's my wishlist that I'm starting off with, and I'd really love input from you experts:

1) A high resolution LCD display, 4" to 6", in place of or possibly inside a rear view mirror, with 2 or more AV inputs.
2) Full time rear view camera display, for driving and parking
3) I'd like a rear view camera mounted at the rear of the car, with a wide FOV, but still be able to see the license plates of other cars. (this rules out cams mounted on the rear view mirror). One camera at each rear corner would also work, if they could be displayed simultaneously.
4) Front camera(s) either at the top of the windshield or in the front bonnet grill, to see if I'll make it over a speedbump.
5)DVR ability, preferably centralized at the display, rather than at each camera.
6)DVR ability while parked, running off car battery.
7)Ability to navigate between different views using the display or buttons.

After these functional requirements, of course I'd like the best quality picture/highest res, etc.
I'm expecting that I'd need some Frankenstein assortment of DVR and cameras with good lenses.
For any clip-on type rear view mirror I'll have to fashion a mount to a generic windshield mount.

Other nice-but-overkill things:
Ability to integrate with ultrasonic parking sensors on the display
Wifi/Bluetooth/Android features.
G meter (record on shock)

Some things I've looked at on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/160916732370
Pros:
Looks like it would work, I could order higher quality cameras elsewhere.
4 Channels

Cons:
No DVR ability
Still rather large
Need to create a mount.

This screen:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/350903542279
Pros:
Minimal bezel

Cons:
Low vertical resolution
No other features