MultiCam Designer / PiP- PowerDirector 12 Tutorial (WF1 Front/Mini 0801 Back)

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
Now that I have two DashCam's I'm exploring the best way to edit both videos into one seemless production.

I just upgraded to PowerDirector 12 for the new MultiCam Designer tool. It auto syncs multiple videos by comparing all audio tracks. (or you can set a marker, and bam done) Here's the tutorial I followed, pretty cool

Here's my first quick sample video I threw together. This is going to be fun once I master the technique. :)

Again.....
Front = Vicovation Vico-WF1
Back = Mini 0801

I've seen one where someone had inserted the rear cam view in the top center of the front cam view like as though it was in the rear view mirror, can't recall what software was used to do it but the effect was pretty cool

I'd like to learn a bunch of tricks, I'm just starting to dig in. This video is supposed to have music by the way, but the youtube audio swap edit didn't work right.

I'd like to learn a bunch of tricks, I'm just starting to dig in. This video is supposed to have music by the way, but the youtube audio swap edit didn't work right.
it's way too time consuming for me, I appreciate the work that people do though

Do you hear music when you watch this clip? It's really strange because when I go to edit the video, and click on audio swap, it shows and plays the music I wanted. When I watch it from my iPhone I actually hear the music. If I watch it from my PC I don't hear the music. I even tried using another browser to make sure it wasn't some strange cache thing.

EDIT: Oh now it's working, must be a delay in the mobile vs regular video on their servers

I've seen one where someone had inserted the rear cam view in the top center of the front cam view like as though it was in the rear view mirror, can't recall what software was used to do it but the effect was pretty cool

Yeah that's pretty easy, you just resize the window of video track #2 and then move it at the top of video track #1 where the rear view mirror goes.

So basically........
You drag a video to track #1
You drag a video to track #2

You hightlight video track #2 and hit the modify button. (and perform the steps I talked about above)

I'll try it now.

Good to see the WF1 going for a ride. This program seems nice. Not the most cheap application at roughly 100 dollars, but i have seen more expensive, and as easy as it seems to be to edit video files might be a great purchase to work with multi video tracks.

This was footage from my dual cam, edited on power director 8 (I hadn't formatted the card for an absolute age, hence the problems!).
I have tried many other video editors but cannot do on them some of the stuff I can do with pd8 - being a bloke, I don't do manuals & pd software is so intuitive. What I also like is that I can drop the volume at any point - (like when I swear at another driver!)- you can even split the audio/video in 2 clicks. The 2nd video can be placed anywhere on the screen and be any size.
I will be upgrading to PD12 when cash permits.

@sludgeguts Nice! Yeah PD12 is a solid upgrade. :)

Yeah that's pretty easy, you just resize the window of video track #2 and then move it at the top of video track #1 where the rear view mirror goes.

So basically........
You drag a video to track #1
You drag a video to track #2

You hightlight video track #2 and hit the modify button. (and perform the steps I talked about above)

I'll try it now.

This is from Version 10 but still the same steps. (Jump to 1m08s)

Presto Chango Voila.......
Raw WMV clip:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/07t56cw94uck7f8/Rear View Mirror PiP (Picture In Picture) WF1 & Mini 0801.wmv

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I was testing PD12 but its to fussy editing video clips with different Fps from different dash cams if want to do side by side tests and video edit ( 29.970 vs 30.00 Fps video clips ), always gives me an errof, even after playing with settings. So I gave up PD12 and still using much more userfriendly AVS4Yoy.

I always just click yes and it automatically fixes things. I've battled between 30fps and 60fps but never 29.97 vs 30. I'll have to try AVS4You and see what I think. http://www.avs4you.com If it supports .MTS files (and Chroma Key) I'll compare it.

You may try with few raw video files with different extensions ( mov, avi, mp4 etc, 29.970, 30Fps ) to put two or more clips into one split screen.
I tried edit 4 different dash cams but no success with PD12.
AVS dont have synchro-thing but at least no problems at all with mixing together different clips files extensions / Fps.

Last edited:
Youtube made some alterations a while back & consequently, I had problems with clips uploaded using PD8. Solved this by adding tags yt:stretch=4:3, yt:stretch=16:9.
I did, however fancy an upgrade to a better version some time back so bought PD11 - only to find my antique PC (November 2008, Windows Vista) couldn't cope with it!
So have installed it on my Laptop (Win 7 (probably 2010 model).
This is great for uploading dashcam clips BUT is absolute pants when I try to upload a 45 minute clip of my lad's uni American football team! YT simply says it cannot process the video. the cam is full HD & stuff. But even dropping the uploaded video's resolution to lowest, YT still doesn't like it. Even tried saving the video to my HDD in the many formats available THEN uploading directly from my YT account - but no joy.
Glad I kept PD8 on my desktop!
With the short dashcam clips, it works really well with the dual cam footage (they are both sync'd anyway) - but if they were from different cams, it should be easy enough to sync from the audio spikes (I hope!). I have tried many other video editing software but find the PD stuff so easy to use that I just keep coming back to it. I'll maybe give the AVS a go & see how I get on - bearing in mind I'm an old fart & don't do 'reading' instructions:D

Youtube made some alterations a while back & consequently, I had problems with clips uploaded using PD8. Solved this by adding tags yt:stretch=4:3, yt:stretch=16:9.
I did, however fancy an upgrade to a better version some time back so bought PD11 - only to find my antique PC (November 2008, Windows Vista) couldn't cope with it!
So have installed it on my Laptop (Win 7 (probably 2010 model).
This is great for uploading dashcam clips BUT is absolute pants when I try to upload a 45 minute clip of my lad's uni American football team! YT simply says it cannot process the video. the cam is full HD & stuff. But even dropping the uploaded video's resolution to lowest, YT still doesn't like it. Even tried saving the video to my HDD in the many formats available THEN uploading directly from my YT account - but no joy.
Glad I kept PD8 on my desktop!
With the short dashcam clips, it works really well with the dual cam footage (they are both sync'd anyway) - but if they were from different cams, it should be easy enough to sync from the audio spikes (I hope!). I have tried many other video editing software but find the PD stuff so easy to use that I just keep coming back to it. I'll maybe give the AVS a go & see how I get on - bearing in mind I'm an old fart & don't do 'reading' instructions:D

I really like PD audio sync, but if editing side by side 2 or more different extension / Fps video files, it sais error. PD is too fussy, so I found AVS most userfriendly to all major file extension with no matter what Fps, but of course tske few minutes more manually to synchronise.
If working with files with same files extensions / Fps, then PD is great soft.

Here's a tip on how to combine using MultiCam Designer & Then use PiP.

MultiCam doesn't let you choose PiP unfortunately. That's ok though because here's what you do.

Follow the MultiCam instructions TWICE. (post #1 above)

1) Use MultiCam to sync your two videos, output only Camera 1
2) Use MultiCam to sync your two videos, output only Camera 2 this time

You now have a video of camera 1 and a video of camera 2 that are both in sync. Simply add each new video to its own video track, and resize the window accordingly to show PiP explained in post #6 & #9 above

So there you have it, sync your two videos twice outputting one camera at a time. place the resulting videos on video track 1 and video track 2, and drag/resize to show PiP

Last edited:
Here's a tip on how to combine using MultiCam Designer & Then use PiP.

MultiCam doesn't let you choose PiP unfortunately. That's ok though because here's what you do.

Follow the MultiCam instructions TWICE. (post #1 above)

1) Use MultiCam to sync your two videos, output only Camera 1
2) Use MultiCam to sync your two videos, output only Camera 2 this time

You now have a video of camera 1 and a video of camera 2 that are both in sync. Simply add each new video to its on video track, and resize the window accordingly to show PiP explained in post #6 & #9 above

So there you have it, sync your two videos twice outputting one camera at a time. place the resulting videos on video track 1 and video track 2, and drag/resize to show PiP

Thanks for advice.

Back