multiple cams

gnc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, new on here but had cams for years, just had some one reverse out of a drive into the side of my car, front facing got nothing, is there a multiple unit available , my cars a convertable so no rear side widow. was thinking maybe a bike cam setup mounted on the door mirrors. any advise gratefully recieved.
geof

Not really any 4 channel systems out there yet, that will probably be a few years before we see the first worthwhile ones.
Some of us have used single cameras as rear and side cameras for years, but the up and coming dual remote, of which i am testing one ( the K2S ) are well suites for side view and also where i have my test sample installed now.

I drive a little 5 door hatchback, and both the front and rear doors have a fixed glass, and i choose to mount on the rear doors as the mirrors would be in the way to some degree + i have my phone dock hanging off the fixed glass on the driver side door.

First a little footage, then demo of the install.

Outside cameras are not really a option to me, i suspect they will often have some degree on dirt on them, and the lens i assume are also prone to get scratched by washing the car,,,,,, and this are no good for the small detail people expect dashcams to capture.

Last edited:
I assume you just have a front camera, and after you was hit the guy probably left passing behind you, so with a dual channel camera you probably been able to nail him based on the footage from the rear camera.
Still if you drive a convertible, those seem to be notorious problematic in regard to multi camera systems.

Welcome to DCT @gnc :)

Convertibles can present a mounting problem for side cams. At present there are few waterproof cams with good resolution- most are high-priced commercial designs intended for fleet or truck use. Motorcycle cams are discussed HERE on this site and will probably be your best option. The Innov K2 seems to be OK and there have been some good comments on the VSYSTO as well, but it's pricier. A few dual-channel standard dashcams have planned waterproof remote modules but I'm not sure if any have reached the market yet. A dual-remote system like the K2S-WP might be a good fit here; this new version comes with 2 waterproof remote cam modules. The standard K2S is similar but not waterproof.

You may also consider some kind of a DIY mounting scheme with either a dual-channel or two single-channel cams involved. A seat-headrest mounting might work but may have vibration issues without someone sitting there. The sky and your preferences is the limit for DIY.

There are also "Taxi" cams which incorporate the rear cam into the front cam housing like the B2W. They may offer enough FOV width to work for you but aren't going to completely cover both sides.

Sorry to hear of your problems and hope you can find a solution you like- we're far better off in this than we were just two years ago with many more choices now :cool:

Phil

thanks again, no i was in car and stopped him, but id like something as proof and peace of mind, will gett a cheap bike duel cam and see if attaching them to the door mirrors is any good.
geof

You can probably mod a set of side mirrors and put either a dual remote motorcycle system in there or any other that offer waterproof camera units. ( providing MC systems have a parking guard that's usable )
But you will either have to start hacking into the existing mirrors or buy a set at a salvage yard and modify those to your liking.
But you need a tool set and some DIY skills to do it either way.
I have also seen a 4 channel system but where the outside mounted cameras are aimed back down the side of the car, so uncertain if those would have made a plate capture,,,,,, the biggest chance in your particular case i feel must have been on the rear camera as the idiot passed and left that way.
and still you will have to drill holes in the side of your car to mount such a system, and IMO no system are that good that i would drill holes in my car to accommodate it, and i think few people would not least with a brand new expensive car.

not a new car. 1973 triumph stag. luckily it looks like he hit my bumper. was dark so couldnt really see till this morning

For cheap, the DV526 motorcycle cam might do. There's also a waterproof remote made for the Mini 0906 but the main module isn't waterproof and recent versions of this cam seem to have QC and some reliability problems. You mentioned darkness so I presume you want good low-light performance. For that look for Sony IMX series sensors, the 323 is basic but OK and the 291 is excellent. Some newer ones out there which I know little of but might do OK.

Phil

Uuuuuu a stag :cool:(y)

All new cars are ugly,,,,,,,, in my book at least, with a major lotto win i go shopping for old cars,,,,,,, expet my daily driver which will be BIG and 12 ton and featured in Top gear with "the hamster" as the driver in southafrica.

I'd recommend the Viofo MT1 ( https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/mt1.315/ ), but it is not quite available yet! Dual waterproof remote camera with similar quality to the popular Viofo A129 Duo. The main unit can be hidden, only need access to get at the memory card and the remotes are quite small.

cant tell one new car from another, need to see the badge first. using stag as daily driver, i know im risking breakdowns. but when my engine light comes on , it stops.

Uuuuuu a stag :cool:(y)

All new cars are ugly,,,,,,,, in my book at least, with a major lotto win i go shopping for old cars,,,,,,, expet my daily driver which will be BIG and 12 ton and featured in Top gear with "the hamster" as the driver in southafrica.
I think you buy a Stag for the noise, not the size or weight!

Yeah, i think the Stag will be a nice little car to break out on one of those illusive Danish summer days, i am pretty sure it will not be my daily driver,,,,, though i fear the same about the Marauder but at least it will let me drive anywhere in my country in safety.
In the marauder you will probably not even notice if you run over a stag :)

niose and looks, deffinaitly not performance
Yes, not exactly a Caterham on handling:

Of course it's not supposed to sound like that, this is what it's supposed to sound like:

:ROFLMAO:

that first one, definitley wasnt powered by a triumph v8

that first one, definitley wasnt powered by a triumph v8
That one had the Rover engine:

Hard to find a good sound clip of the proper engine where the car is actually moving! Maybe you could post some dashcam footage?

Back