Multiple seconds of video lost when entering/leaving parking mode ...

the Blackvue uses a different method to handle their parking mode, not a fan of their product, not a fan of 2 wire parking mode either, but for 2 wire parking mode even it's not perfect they still probably do that better than anyone else does

When not using the 3 wire hardwire kit, The camera will go into parking mode after a set amount of time (think it's either 3 or 5 minutes) and no GPS change in position.

It will do this when using the 12v receptacle if your vehicle keeps it powered when shut off, or using the 2 wire kit wired to always on power.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not sure why anyone would install a 3rd party hardwiring kit. Asking for trouble. My guess if the camera does enter parking mode on 3rd party hardwire kit is the transition to "Parking Mode" may either be through G Sensor (motion / force) or GPS (lack of motion). Seems counterproductive to have the car constantly switching back and forth if at a traffic light or stopped for a few minutes.

Far as the transition from Parking Mode ---> Normal Record, I watched the time today. It does indeed take 7 seconds to transition. Does that mean 7 seconds of video is lost? I'm not sure, but that may be true.

the Blackvue uses a different method to handle their parking mode, not a fan of their product, not a fan of 2 wire parking mode either, but for 2 wire parking mode even it's not perfect they still probably do that better than anyone else does

As I've never used a 2 wire hardwire kit, I presume these kits tie into the GPS or G-Sensor to detect inactivity and switch to parking mode?

As I've never used a 2 wire hardwire kit, I presume these kits tie into the GPS or G-Sensor to detect inactivity and switch to parking mode?
there's a number of ways to decide how to change modes, it's not perfect but they've been doing it for years and are a long way ahead of anyone else using a software only (2 wire) parking mode

there's a number of ways to decide how to change modes, it's not perfect but they've been doing it for years and are a long way ahead of anyone else using a software only (2 wire) parking mode

But now the technology is out for a 3 wire hardwire, is there any benefit to maintaining the 2 wire setup? Unless of course you want the camera to record in normal mode longer when parked versus an immediate transition. I.E. 5 Minutes of inactivity = Park Mode versus shutting off engine to immediately switch to park mode.

I'm not a fan of 2 wire parking mode at all

What baffles me is the fact Prelude or anyone else would pair a Blackvue hardwiring kit with a Viofo Camera. And a 2 wire hardwire kit at that.

FYI: I believe the street guardian has parking mode, correct? Prelude is accurate to say the counter takes 7 seconds to switch from Parking Mode --> Start Car --> Normal Mode --> Begin recording. So I presume those 7 seconds aren't being recorded. I haven't tested yet to verify, but let's assume this is accurate.

Is it the same process on the Street Guardian? Is there "Missing Video" between the transition?

What baffles me is the fact Prelude or anyone else would pair a Blackvue hardwiring kit with a Viofo Camera. And a 2 wire hardwire kit at that.
the Power Magic Pro is not a hardwiring kit, it's a power management device (selectable timers and low voltage cutoff points), it has a cig plug socket as the output that the camera power supply plugs into, I would think anyone that has one already figures they may as well use it since it's there, quite likely they expected that the Viofo would do 2 wire parking like the camera it replaced, that's not the case though

3 wire will also have a delay as it stops and starts as it changes modes, can be done quicker though and it's something that's going to happen while you're in the vehicle not at some random x minutes later when you're either not with the vehicle, or you're driving

the Power Magic Pro is not a hardwiring kit, it's a power management device (selectable timers and low voltage cutoff points), it has a cig plug socket as the output that the camera power supply plugs into, I would think anyone that has one already figures they may as well use it since it's there, quite likely they expected that the Viofo would do 2 wire parking like the camera it replaced, that's not the case though

Blackvue's website shows the Power Magic Pro being wired to the fuse box and states it's a hardwiring kit??? I've never owned it so I can't say otherwise.

3 wire will also have a delay as it stops and starts as it changes modes, can be done quicker though and it's something that's going to happen while you're in the vehicle not at some random x minutes later when you're either not with the vehicle, or you're driving

Tried explaining this to Prelude without much success. That the gap between Normal Mode -- > Parking and Parking Mode -- Normal is expected while the camera transitions.. O well beating my head against a wall there.

1584849425935.png

https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/

Power Magic Pro

Hardwiring Kit with Parking Mode Switch. Enjoy your dashcam’s Parking Mode. Protect your car’s Battery.

Yes the gap while it changes modes is expected as that's how the Viofo does it, likely he expected it was going to be a seamless transition as that's how the Blackvue does it, not all cameras work the same though

Yes the gap while it changes modes is expected as that's how the Viofo does it, likely he expected it was going to be a seamless transition as that's how the Blackvue does it, not all cameras work the same though

I presume with the 2 wire hardwire kit, it's seamless because there's no transitional period. Merely the camera sits idle and after 5 minutes of movement, puts itself into park mode without needing to pause???

Whereas, a 3 wire hardwire kit is triggered by the shutting off of the engine and power now needing to be drawn from the battery. So the camera briefly pauses while making the switch in power source.

I presume with the 2 wire hardwire kit, it's seamless because there's no transitional period. Merely the camera sits idle and after 5 minutes of movement, puts itself into park mode without needing to pause???
Blackvue is seemless as it's all done in pre buffer

Whereas, a 3 wire hardwire kit is triggered by the shutting off of the engine and power now needing to be drawn from the battery. So the camera briefly pauses while making the switch in power source.
recording mode changes, power source does not

Blackvue is seemless as it's all done in pre buffer

Does the Street Guardian use a pre buffer? Is it possible for the Viofo to pre buffer? Or is the pre buffer only possible because the camera "knows" it's sitting idle and before it switches to parking, buffers, and then swaps over after 5 minutes or so.

recording mode changes, power source does not

How so? Doesn't the Viofo parking mode get triggered when the engine is shut off and power source becomes the battery?

Does the Street Guardian use a pre buffer? Is it possible for the Viofo to pre buffer? Or is the pre buffer only possible because the camera "knows" it's sitting idle and before it switches to parking, buffers, and then swaps over after 5 minutes or so.
Blackvue does it differently but it's hardware dependant

How so? Doesn't the Viofo parking mode get triggered when the engine is shut off and power source becomes the battery?
the vehicle battery is always the power source, that doesn't change

Does it store the pre buffer video in Ram / Memory prior to transitioning?
yes

What exactly triggers the park mode on 3 wire hardwire kit then? Drop in Voltage?
it's 3 wire, the ACC power being on or off determines which mode the camera is in, the power is supplied by the B+ power regardless of which mode it's in

Hows the transition work then on Street Guardian? Does it have a ram buffer or is it like the viofo losing a few seconds of footage while swapping from park --> Normal and vice versa? Does the Viofo have enough of a buffer where this could be changed and it buffers video prior to switching?

it's 3 wire, the ACC power being on or off determines which mode the camera is in, the power is supplied by the B+ power regardless of which mode it's in

Makes sense. So it detects the ACC being shut off when the engine is turned off. Thereby, swapping over to Battery.

Yes, the ACC wire on the 3 wire kit is just a sensor wire. The camera doesn't run off it. Much like a remote turn on wire for an aftermarket amp.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Makes sense. So it detects the ACC being shut off when the engine is turned off. Thereby, swapping over to Battery.
it doesn't swap over to battery, it's always running off the battery, the ACC wire is just a signal wire to trigger the camera to change modes

it doesn't swap over to battery, it's always running off the battery, the ACC wire is just a signal wire to trigger the camera to change modes

Makes perfect sense then. 2 wire = No Signal Wire. Lack of movement triggers GPS and enters Parking Moe. 3 Wire = Detect ACC fuse shutting off, and triggers to Parking mode.

Back