MW Interference from (probably fake) DVR-207

Skezza

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm not a hobbyist or expert. My girlfriends mum bought me a dashcam as a Christmas present and I decided to install it a few weeks back. There is a serious amount of interference from the camera unfortunately and as I listen to Medium Wave exclusively, I'm finding it harder to deal with. The FM interference is limited to none and I've not noted any GPS problems with my cars in-built sat nav.

As soon as I plug the device in, there is absolutely nothing audible on the radio. Simply nothing. Pure noise and whines that slowly go up and down (not in tune to the throttle before anyone says alternator). I bought a pack of 8 ferrite beads that are designed for USB cables. They snap on pretty tight. They have made absolutely no difference whatsoever. I've not tried a different cable and plug yet so perhaps that's a possibility, but I'm wondering if there's any other way without me spending more to ultimately find out this can't be sorted.

For a fake, it's not too bad. The picture quality in daytime is good. In night time it's pretty rough unless there are street lights. The IR LED's are either fakes or just not very good. My biggest gripe with it, is the screen never turns off, which is drawing unnecessary current.

Thoughts? Is it simply not possible to fix this :(

That's a shame. I'm thinking of scattering the beads. I've been told a new charger may help but I'm not convinced at all. I tried a cheap cable with another charger I own and it caused a similar amount of noise. There's so much interference, the LED screen on the dashcam violently flickers to the beat of the noise if you get me.

My DVR-207GS (not fake) also caused some interference with the GPS navigation on my phone. I place the phone on my dashboard so it was fairly close to the camera and its cable. I changed the charger to one bought on Radio Shack and the problem seemed to disappear. Bear in mind that I don't listen to radio so I have no idea if it caused interference there and if it was removed by using a new charger. Also, the interference I experienced was nowhere near as bad as what you describe... I would just randomly lose GPS signal for a few seconds once every couple of minutes.

I'm back, still trying to solve this but I'm going to try something a bit different tonight. I'm going to try using the USB socket on the back of my head unit. I used to use it to charge my phone because my old phone chargers caused interference, yet it didn't, perhaps it's shielded? Unfortunately it may not have enough juice to power it though.

I tried a better charger and better cable. Less interference, but still some unfortunately.

Well incredibly, using either of the free USB sockets on the back of the head unit not only provides enough juice, but powers the camera with no interference whatsoever. Only one can be used permanently as the other is designed for a USB pen drive and thinks that you've plugged music in. This one is designed for a WiFi/3G Dongle which I haven't used in 6 months. Obviously I'm yet to really test this properly over a period of time and I'm nervous about running it for long periods as I guess it's not designed to be a power supply right? But this really could be a practical way of fixing this problem and one that many people with aftermarket head units can follow.

It would also remove the need to plumb it into the ignition live as those sockets are all triggered by the ignition anyway (not by the head unit ;) ;) )

I've been told by a friend that one other way we could do this is by opening up the cheapo charger that came with it, and wrapping the insides with tin foil, has anyone tried that?

Anyway, video to demonstrate the camera, apologies for the awfully dirty window, I cleaned all of it the other day and missed that part because the camera was there! DO'H!!! I might take another video demonstrating AM/FM, no interference, line-in. WIN!!!

Don't use tin foil, it is a fire hazard. they burnt like crazy..get a snap-on ferrite choke...good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S DVR-XX7 1
K DVR-XX7 5
E DVR-XX7 1
D DVR-XX7 14
Back