My 1ST. Dash Cam

Canon T-90

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello: After researching front/rear units I've decided on the mini. Lots more can be spent but this model seems to fit my needs. I haven't received it yet & wanted to ask if there's anything I should be aware of once installation begins. I chose the hardwire option for my install & made sure it comes with the package. My vehicle is suppose to have some kind of battery monitoring circuit which will disconnect battery if a drain is detected. Its 2017 Hyundai Elantra. Not sure how I'll approach it but am hoping the car Won't turn the unit off at night. I've already downloaded the latest firmware & manual V.1.3. Does anyone know if I can connect to my Pc to do the upgrade or if it needs to connected to the car. Thanks in advance for any help.

Congrats on your first cam!

For the software update, you have to unzip the firmware you got from the website and put the "Firmware.BIN" into the root of your SD card - using your PC.
Then once the file is loaded onto your SD card, you would put it back into the camera which will complete the upgrade.
Should reboot once finished.

a computer to un-zip the downloaded file, and a charger with microUSB plug to power the camera to upgrade it.
oh of course, a microSD card and reader, (or you can use the camera and data cable together to instead a card reader)
[U]DashOto[/U] is totally right on the progresses

a computer to un-zip the downloaded file, and a charger with microUSB plug to power the camera to upgrade it.
oh of course, a microSD card and reader, (or you can use the camera and data cable together to instead a card reader)
[U]DashOto[/U] is totally right on the progresses
Thanks much for that info. Its nice when the Manufacturer takes time to answer the "little people".....pun intended. :)

just lucky to have time to check the DCT forum now.... usually too busy to take care this

... I haven't received it yet & wanted to ask if there's anything I should be aware of once installation begins
One more recommendation (common to all dashcams) - before you hide the wires (from the hardwire kit, from the back camera) under the interior trim panels in the car, check how everything works correctly so that in case of a defect, you do not have to dismantle these trim panels again to replace the cable or search for a defect.
Defects sometimes occur in any complex electronic equipment, but testing the performance of equipment in a temporary connection scheme (hinged installation) will save you time ...and money :)

Last edited:
Well.....unit arrived today & updated firmware…. way easier than expected. I formatted the the sd card(64gb Samsung Evo select) in the unit & afterwards connected it to my pc. There's a link in the root directly that takes you directly to the website. you download /extract it/restart and yr done!!! Well done Engineering Staff. Just several Quirks navigating the menu like when setting the time. You can't exit normally instead you must hold both up/down keys to exit. I believe the driver number & stamping is the same. I've read that the 3-M type tape that comes with it doesn't work very well. I want to place the front camera near the rear view mirror but there's that black sun block material that may be a problem with the tape adhesion......still thinking about that. My first impression is very favorable. I hope the performance isn't disappointing. Will update with my progress. BTW why is there 2 usb ports on the gps unit??

Well.....unit arrived today & updated firmware…. way easier than expected. I formatted the the sd card(64gb Samsung Evo select) in the unit & afterwards connected it to my pc. There's a link in the root directly that takes you directly to the website. you download /extract it/restart and yr done!!! Well done Engineering Staff. Just several Quirks navigating the menu like when setting the time. You can't exit normally instead you must hold both up/down keys to exit. I believe the driver number & stamping is the same. I've read that the 3-M type tape that comes with it doesn't work very well. I want to place the front camera near the rear view mirror but there's that black sun block material that may be a problem with the tape adhesion......still thinking about that. My first impression is very favorable. I hope the performance isn't disappointing. Will update with my progress. BTW why is there 2 usb ports on the gps unit??

Congrats!

2 usb ports -> I guess it's for different mounting scenarios.

I slapped together a temp setup to see what I could see today after work...….my windshields are Dirty...o_O:eek:;).
If anyone has suggestions on how to run the rear cam wires to the front for 2017 elantra…..I'm all ears. This thing is tighter than a giant piss clam clamped shut!!! The hard wire kit that came with it only has 2 wires. The videos for setting up similar units are 3 wire: acc/hot/ground. My assumption is I will find a hot lead with the no key in ignition to keep this thing running when off. A few more observations.. is there any way to view a split screen of front/back cams while its recording. The screen shows the word front. I viewed vid's afterwards on a pc & have both front/rear files. I have no issue running the files under win 10 but what do I do if I need to zoom in to capture a license plate??? Also I'm guessing there's no way to change how the unit captures still images....looks like jpg is what's available....unless there's a trick to change it.

Back