My A118 Video Review

FourEyes

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Dash Cam
Mio518,TV-Q5GPS,DEXP_EV-710,Pilot21DVR,GS2000,3xG1W,K6000
Got my A118 from gearbest.com a few days ago. Currently it's being promoted () and costs $61.99 with coupon code GBA118.

This batch comes with firmware ver. B40.20140714.001 with 15 Mbit/sec video bit rate and GPS setting in the Video menu.

Raw video samples:
Day, 108.9 MB
Night, 108.9 MB

Youtube:
Day
Night

PS Please excuse the accent.

Last edited:
Excellent review. Well done. You covered almost all the features.

Nice review. I just recieved my B40 in the mail today. I haven't had a chance to open it yet. This review will definately help me to set it up. Later today, I need to get a 32gb card for it. Hopefully, It has the latest firmware on it.

Thank you everybody for your kind words!

You covered almost all the features.

Yes I forgot a few, sorry. Screen blanking by pressing the Power button briefly for one; remembered about it when the review was already uploaded.

While In the Setup menu between Default Setting and Version, there is a selection labeled CarNo. Does anyone know what this is?

I would guess it's where you can type in the license plate of your car. Then it will be embedded into videos together with time stamp data.

While In the Setup menu between Default Setting and Version, there is a selection labeled CarNo. Does anyone know what this is?

U7ga9ge.png

Just be aware that if you've got the generic version and you update the firmware for the GPS feature, that label option disappears. Hopefully it will come back with later versions..;)

Very informative and helpful review.

I bought one and expecting delivery soon. Your review will be very useful when I install it.

Thanks

Here are two short videos of this particular A118 camera that I have reviewed recording an auto-x sprint race yesterday. The camera has been in use for 7 months more or less every day and didn't develop any issues at all. I think this is a good testament to this device's build quality.
Well done Gearbest.

nice driving. having the tires on course makes for a much heavier penalty than simply hitting a cone. i also found it hard to look ahead and guess where the next turn was in some parts of the first video, and i had NO idea where you were going in the second one. in the US, we use cones laying down to point which way you should go. Check my youtube channel - I have a lot of autocross videos there, but only one with the A118. I bought mine from Spytec, but it's about the same age as yours since I bought it in august. I have no complaints with the original A118, and my only complaint about my A118C is my own fault - I broke one of the wires to the speaker when I took it apart. (oops)

Last edited:
Thank you, but it wasn't me driving. it's an acquaintance of mine. He's been racing for a long time. Cool channel!

Back