My A119S doesn't read/write MicroSD card anymore

lostindark

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was working fine for a year. Suddenly I hear beep while driving. After that, it stopped working. It seems be able to detect there is a MicroSD card inserted, but can't read/write it.
When power on, it shows "Please format MicroSD card". However, the card was already formatted. Tried to format the card on A119S and it does nothing.

I put the card in a card reader and I can read the content fine in my computer. I've also tried another card which shows the same error message.

Contact the support and they want me to ship the product to China for repair.
Any way to fix it myself?

My first card is Kingston 32G U1. It still works fine in my computer.
Second card is a Sandisk U1. Same symptom as Kingston.
I also tried Samsung Evo Plus (a new one I got for my phone), same.

I don't think all my cards failed.

Run your cards through h2testw. Delete all of the files off of them first before beginning the test.

My first card is Kingston 32G U1. It still works fine in my computer.
Second card is a Sandisk U1. Same symptom as Kingston.
I also tried Samsung Evo Plus (a new one I got for my phone), same.

I don't think all my cards failed.
the card must be formatted to a fat32 file system on a computer or in a camera.
try to boot the camera without sd card, then go to a Menu and reset the settings to defaults. if it doesn't help:
try to update the firmware then reset to defaults in a menu. if it doesn't help:
try to update the loader and right after update the firmware (2 steps process).
if you have more questions keep asking!

Formatted with SDformatter (full overwrite), still got exactly the same issue.
Tried reset settings without sd card and it doesn't help.
Can't update firmware as it can't detect the card.

Not sure if update loader will help or not. Where can I find the latest loader?

please confirm your SD card is Fat32 formatted.
zip file from Viofo with the loader inside:
you update the loader (wait for 1 or 2 min), power off, copy a firmware file onto a card (make sure there is no loader file), and power On the camera. watch closely for 1 - 2 min as we want to know what's happening or not.
are you a windows or a mac user?
what do you see on a camera's screen when you power it on?

reinstall a119 firmware?

Did you format inside the camera after using SDFormatter?

please confirm your SD card is Fat32 formatted.
zip file from Viofo with the loader inside:
you update the loader (wait for 1 or 2 min), power off, copy a firmware file onto a card (make sure there is no loader file), and power On the camera. watch closely for 1 - 2 min as we want to know what's happening or not.
are you a windows or a mac user?
what do you see on a camera's screen when you power it on?
Yes it is fat32 formatted.
I'm a windows user.

Tried to flash the loader. However, seems like the camera didn't detect there is a loader file on sd card. It boot directly to the main screen and show "Please format MicroSD card" message.

So looks like the camera can detect here is a card inserted, but can't read/write it (says card not formatted, and format it in camera does nothing).

the loader file will show a slight flicker just as the camera first powers on, not something you can really see, if the please format message comes up then it can at least recognise the card, loader and firmware both load before the OS so if there is a firmware related issue it can generally be recovered

Yes it is fat32 formatted.
I'm a windows user.

Tried to flash the loader. However, seems like the camera didn't detect there is a loader file on sd card. It boot directly to the main screen and show "Please format MicroSD card" message.

So looks like the camera can detect here is a card inserted, but can't read/write it (says card not formatted, and format it in camera does nothing).
this a step #2: update the loader then update the firmware. the loader update takes seconds without any lights blinking.
you get "format the card" message because of a corrupted firmware which you tried already to re-install, now after you tried and hopefully updated the loader try to update the firmware again, and let us know what you saw during the firmware install.
in your case without the loader re-install you will not be able to re-install the firmware.

Back