My A129 Duo lost focus on both cameras

DarthMaul

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
DCTeam, VIOFO A129 Duo
Hi!
Like the title says, after 3 years of owning this dashcam, both cams lost their focus. Are there replacement lens/camera modules for them available?
@viofo ?

It is unusual to have two cameras go out of focus at the same time. What were the temperature conditions when this happened?

One time, I had a camera go out of focus when it warmed up too quickly from extreme cold to normal operation due to contraction/expansion of the lens module.

Yes also a first time for me.
But we can never rule anything out.

If the focus loss are permanent, you can take the cameras apart and refocus them by adjusting the lens in the socket more in or out.
If the focus come and go like the wind then it is probably a glass element failure in the lens, and then you have to replace the lens with a new one.

I had a camera that lost focus, so i adjusted it and then it worked fine for many years after that.

Initially they were out of focus when hot, but in time it became permanent unfortunately...
Yes also a first time for me.
But we can never rule anything out.

If the focus loss are permanent, you can take the cameras apart and refocus them by adjusting the lens in the socket more in or out.
If the focus come and go like the wind then it is probably a glass element failure in the lens, and then you have to replace the lens with a new one.

I had a camera that lost focus, so i adjusted it and then it worked fine for many years after that.
Kinda difficult to adjust it blindly... There's no HD output unfortunately, and the composite output is horrible.

You may use this technique to refocu without live view. I have refocused dozens of dashcam this way. You may see results from the last video.

Kinda difficult to adjust it blindly... There's no HD output unfortunately, and the composite output is horrible.
The Wi-fi image is good enough.

Also reasonably easy to try a few positions, check the footage, and use the best. Need to mark the starting position as a reference.

Yeah. Even with a way to adjust live, i always make a couple of recordings out of my window, with slight adjustments ( +1 mm on the circumference of the lens ) just like i have dont with cameras that do not have a option for any preview.
As it is just a tweak, you most likely do not have to turn the lens more than a mm or two from where the lens is, so with markings indicating the starting point it should be fairly easy.

Thank you, I will give it a try!

If i was you i would start with the rear camera, just to get a feel for the procedure.

Mine was out of focus about a year or two ago. Its only slight but im thinking of upgrading my cam soon

I have the same after 2 years. Both cameras have poor focus in the distance and car trim around the camera is pin sharp.

I finally did it, after postponing it for a few months. I used a white marker to mark the original position, then turned the lens left and right in several steps, speaking the new position every time so that it would be recorded by the mic. I started with the front camera. I did the adjustment inside my house - I used a poster about 4 meter away from the camera to check the clarity. I couldn't do the rear camera inside because I don't have a USB video cable which seems to be proprietary, so I adjusted that one on its place on the rear windshield.
Now both cameras have a clear picture.

Last edited:
Back