My A800 is rebooting no stop! Doesn't stay on.

visionsbydavid

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My A800 is acting erratically.
It cannot stay on and is rebooting nonstop.
I tried resetting it and still the same.
Any solution?
Have anyone had warranty issues taken care of?

First check your card. Do a full overwrite and formatting with the "SDformatter" freeware and if it looks good run the "h2testw" freeware on it, again doing a full overwrite. This may take some time with larger cards and older computers. The end result should show the card having nearly it's full rated capacity with no errors. Put it in the cam and format it there, then test for proper cam functioning.

If the cam is still bootlooping with that (or another known good) card, then it may be a powering issue. I think this cam uses a miniUSB port for powering (most cams do) which is the same as an android phone wall charger. Try powering the cam with the wall charger, and if it works the cam PS has probably gone bad.

One more possibility is that the LiPo battery in the cam has failed. Sometimes using the phone charger will overcome this while the car PS, which is less powerful, can't. The easiest diagnosis for this is that the last vids taken when the cam is shut down will be corrupt and unviewable because there was no power to close those files correctly. So if the wall charger trick works, run the cam for a bit then unplug it. Pull the card and check the last file to see if it's corrupted. If it is corrupted then the cam's LiPo battery is bad. If that file plays normally then try the car PS similarly. If it still bootloops or the last file is corrupt then the car PS is bad.

If after all this it still bootloops with wall charger and in the car, then the last thing to try is to reload the firmware on a freshly-formatted card, place card in cam, then power it up. It will either load to FW and begin working properly or the cam is dead and you'll need a replacement.

This cam uses a LiPo battery, not supercaps, to close the last file correctly. LiPo batteries comnmonly fail in hotter climates, but they can also fail in cold as this type of battery is not meant to be charged below freezing temps. Dashcams don't have a temp sensor to prevent that and begin charging as soon as the cam turns on, so if it's been charging below freezing much that might have killed it's battery. It's a real shame they didn't do what most cam manufacturers have done and began using supercaps instead as this is a pretty darn good cam otherwise.

Not sure what the warranty situation is as this cam was recently discontinued because HiSilicon raised the chip prices drastically making continued production unprofitable, so unless they held onto some for warranty replacements I don't know what the outcome will be. Again a shame for a cam this good.

Phil

Thanks Phil for your detailed analysis!
I tried formatting the SDXC card in a computer and it worked!
I was viewing files on the computer and deleted some old files and then put the card back in the A800 and that's what the A800 didn't like.
I didn't expect the A800 to get into a fit because of that.
Lesson learnt!

Yep, that can do it. These devices don't like having the file structure messed with. To get rid of files format the card instead, or just leave them on there since the cam will overwrite them as needed.

Phil

Back