My C3 is longer than my c2 and won't fit the holder (among other issues)

To be fair the button falling off was my fault for dropping it but it wasn't like I threw it down. I think an action camera should be able to take some blunt force without stuff falling off that being said.
I dropped my a Mobius a few times without issues. My SJ4000 (without the protective cover) out of a second story window twice, the first on an awning then the concrete, the second time right onto concrete. The second time cracked the corner of the face plate, that's all, everything worked as new.

I was surprised by his response. Were they sent to you for review or you bought them?

I dropped my a Mobius a few times without issues. My SJ4000 (without the protective cover) out of a second story window twice, the first on an awning then the concrete, the second time right onto concrete. The second time cracked the corner of the face plate, that's all, everything worked as new.

I was surprised by his response. Were they sent to you for review or you bought them?
I DID pay for them, at a large discount, for review (I obviously keep them after). I'm not techmoan so I don't expect free stuff and getting a discount I appreciate. Rock and I have talked for quite some time though so he knows my intentions.

I wish I would have gotten out and done some driving with them today but I didn't get a chance so I gotta wait to see how they perform out on the road tomorrow. I DID drive around my home this weekend with them right before sundown and everything did look blurry though.

I just don't understand why the c3 looked fine the first time it recorded but not since. I never damaged the lens or banged it. All the recordings with the C3 have been at my desk.

If nothing improves though I might just have to send them back.

At that's besides the fact that the c3 is too long to fit in its own holder.

Last edited:
should upload a 60 sec raw clip showing the blurry.

cf7, at the end of the first post is a youtube video and at the final part have some part about blurry image.

USDashCamera, the very very small differences between cameras should not affect the holder. I think you have a holder which was made just for tests.
I have one (on the right of the photo) which is not good for C3 and C1 too, but was from the first batch of testing holders.
The holder from the left of the photo holds very well both cameras even is that 0,1mm difference between cameras.
innovv holders.jpg
I hope you can see differeces between holders.
I put both cameras in the same image just to show you I have both cameras.

enjoy,
Mtz

if you watch my video i posted above, i show how the C3 will not fit in either holder. i have my original C2 holder from this summer too. plus I received a standard holder plus the heavier duty clip holder. the C3 does not fit in any of them. it is a whole 0.5 mm longer.

also, I was able to refocus the C2, so it records clearly now. I did not realize the lens actually spins, I remember my original C2 could not do that. I specifically remember even pointing out how the glue on the lens thread looked a bit unprofessional. this new one looks nicer, but it also means the lens can be spun.

I have trying to correct the C3 still, but so far it is still blurry.

the issue with trying to refocus the lens is that the video cable is lass than 2 feet long, way too short to reach around my 60" tv, and my only other option is a 4.5" lcd i got made for back up cameras, but it is so small and so low resolution its hard to tell if its even changing the focus.

Easier to use it connected to a computer in webcam mode

oh yea, forgot about webcam mode. i never use webcams haha.

i am uploading some footage from it right now, but like i said i DID refocus the C2, but I dont know how i possibly could with the C3, the lens is enclosed in the case. this clip has some from the C2, and some from the C3. i cleaned my window and the lenses right before shooting this footage.

first clip is C2, second clip, same spot (sorry it is tilted) is C3. but again, since this clip was taken I did refocus the C2 but spinning the lens in the thread. dont know how I could with the C3 though.

Is the C2 clip advertised as being the same as the C3 clip? I'm still learning since I jumped right into the C3. The C3 comes with it's own clip, so trying to understand when someone would receive a C2 clip to work with the C3.
The memory card being too deep needs to be addressed for sure.
You'll for sure need a new re-focused lens, strange that it worked perfectly originally. Was it dropped or anything?

i did not drop anything other than the C2 which is what knocked the mode button off haha. but right now the C2 works fine and is focused. i am not sure what I could have done to make the C3 go out of focus. the lens is fixed inside it's enclosure.

the two newer holders I got were packaged with the C3. basically i got a C3 retail package, but rock threw in a C2 for me too. so those two new holders SHOULD work for the C3, and as far as I know, there was never suppose to be a difference in size, and the holders should work for all three cameras.

It seems there was a miscommunication then, I'm sure Rock knows there is a difference in size between C2 vs C3 so good you are clearing things up with your trial/error testing here.
Getting a new in-focus lens, or learning how we can open to DIY re-focus is the primary thing that needs to be addressed here.

Your clip shows it is way of focus...it is not blurry..
check also your cmos housing ( black) is screwed tight.

cmos sensor chip.
the housing is where the lens screwed into..it it attached to pcb byscrews from back.

I have checked all the screws and they are all tight as they can be without stripping them.

If there is no way to make DIY focus adjustment (not sure it's possible yet on external C3), it's probably RMA time. Focus is wrong.

Look at 1:57. Your front cover is over the camera case. This means all your internals are moved to the front and this is why your card is not easy inserted.
If you will look carefully at your C2 front and back covers you will see they are a little inserted (0,05mm) into the camera case. My C1 is too, but my C3 have the front cover margin in line with camera case, not inside like its back cover.
To fit well in camera holder that covers need to be a little inside (0.05mm) camera case. If only the front cover is not inside is not problem, the camera will fit in the holder but if the cover is over the case, like yours, will not.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S C3 52
Back