My car doesn't have a cigarette lighter plug, only USB-C connection. Are there dash cams that come with USB-C only cable?

ag8

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My car doesn't have a cigarette lighter plug, only USB-C connection. Are there dash cams that come with USB-C only cable?

Welcome Ag8 to the forum.

I know of a few Dashcam that will work directly from the UBB -C port.

Ideally load test your usb port or find the specifications of what is capable of delivering. Eg 5V @2Amps for example.

Depending on what you discover will help you with which dash cams should work.

Welcome Ag8 to the forum.

I know of a few Dashcam that will work directly from the UBB -C port.

Ideally load test your usb port or find the specifications of what is capable of delivering. Eg 5V @2Amps for example.

Depending on what you discover will help you with which dash cams should work.
Thank you. Will follow your advice.
I'm finding ut hsrd finding dash cams tthat have USB-C cable oj both ends connection. thry all come with a cigsareytw lighter plug.

I have a Viofo 119 mini and a Viofo A229 with a USB-A connector that I can slip into a toggle for USB-C

You could buy your own USB-C to USB-C charging cable, at whatever length you need (3m, 4m, 5m etc).

I'm finding ut hsrd finding dash cams tthat have USB-C cable oj both ends connection. thry all come with a cigsareytw lighter plug.
Viofo cameras come with separate lighter socket chargers and cables, so you can discard the charger and just plug the cable in.
Some of them have USB-A at the charger end, you can use a C-A adaptor although that is not ideal. The new A329 has USB-C both ends.

Out of interest, what is the car?

You could buy your own USB-C to USB-C charging cable, at whatever length you need (3m, 4m, 5m etc).
Quite likely not to work with the older USB-C cameras, they fail to negotiate for power!

Viofo cameras come with separate lighter socket chargers and cables, so you can discard the charger and just plug the cable in.
Some of them have USB-A at the charger end, you can use a C-A adaptor although that is not ideal. The new A329 has USB-C both ends.

Out of interest, what is the car?

Quite likely not to work with the older USB-C cameras, they fail to negotiate for power!
Thank you, for the info. Need to look for the right cable as TonyM suggested, and check the V / Amp capacities to make sure they are compatible. The challenge is I don’t understand these things very well, only get the concept of them.
The car is a MB C series.

Need to look for the right cable as TonyM suggested, and check the V / Amp capacities to make sure they are compatible. The challenge is I don’t understand these things very well, only get the concept of them.
Dashcams with USB-C power ports are going to work at 5V, and need a maximum of 2A. Since the cable will be fairly long, I suggest overrating it on the Amps to avoid too much voltage drop, and make sure that it is a charging cable.

If you are going to be using a Viofo dashcam, I think it would be best to use the original Viofo cable, with a USB-A to C adaptor if necessary. Probably tape the adaptor onto the cable to avoid it disconnecting accidentally. If you replace a Viofo USB-A to C cable with a USB-C to C cable, then I suspect it will not power up, even with a good cable! The new A329 should not have that problem.

Welcome to the club @ag8
Even if you find the correct Type-C to Type-C cable, or compatible adapter your vehicle may not provide constant / uninterrupted power to the camera.
I often see posts from users experiencing recording malfunctions, (camera stops recording) while using factory USB outputs in the car, or Donger Adapters connected to the rear view mirror stalk.

Back