My dash camera (a119v2) is killing my microSD cards... help...

I don't see that as a good idea for the sake of data integrity, suspect the card manufacturers possibly feel the same way

Well I could still use the Thumb Drive to do tasks that don't require data retention....Like update my vehicle GPS instead of having to empty another thumb drive.

storage is not that expensive to justify the risks

True...but I wish they'd let me decide that risk. Mark it as readable, but provide an option to override. None the less, I'm needing to go out at some point and get another thumb drive. Or empty an existing one. GPS needs to get updated with latest maps.

True...but I wish they'd let me decide that risk. Mark it as readable, but provide an option to override.
if you did that you'd find people would just keep on using them, and then make out it's your fault when they lose something important

if you did that you'd find people would just keep on using them, and then make out it's your fault when they lose something important

Going to happen either way....I am sure you've sold numerous Street Guardians to people who claim the camera is defective. Only to find out they either hardwired it improperly or are using an incompatible sd card. The only fix is educating people and realizing you can't make everyone happy!

Going to happen either way....I am sure you've sold numerous Street Guardians to people who claim the camera is defective. Only to find out they either hardwired it improperly or are using an incompatible sd card. The only fix is educating people and realizing you can't make everyone happy!
for sure, that's why we sell the cameras with memory cards, if we don't we find that people can make some poor decisions about what card to use, because there are no moving parts people just assume all cards are the same, that ends in tears sometimes

While I like choosing my own card, I think jokiin's approach has great merit for both seller and the average dashcam owner who knows very little about these things. It was only my immersion into dashcams that brought me an understanding of how SD and other plug-in storage media works; that's more than most people would spend time learning about. Education is good, but it onl;y works for those wanting to learn or for who it is forced onto. Given a choice most people will spend their time on what they deem are more pleasant pursuits ;)

Phil

for sure, that's why we sell the cameras with memory cards, if we don't we find that people can make some poor decisions about what card to use, because there are no moving parts people just assume all cards are the same, that ends in tears sometimes

Including a car is a great idea because it eliminates compatibility complaints. And when a user becomes more knowledgeable, they can make changes as needed.

I put in an old 16GB card for grins... Fried that card too. So this a119v2 is an SDcard murderer!

This is why you need to buy high endurance SD cards from sandisk. Not the regular ones. Designed specifically for video monitoring and dashcams etc.

This is why you need to buy high endurance SD cards from sandisk. Not the regular ones. Designed specifically for video monitoring and dashcams etc.

Well, considering this camera has killed every card I put in it - including cards that were working just fine in the other three A119v2s I have, I'm thinking it's not they cards' fault. And I'm certainly not going to put a more expensive, higher-end card in only to have it get smoked just to prove the point. Now, if you're willing to send me one to try ;)

Well, considering this camera has killed every card I put in it - including cards that were working just fine in the other three A119v2s I have, I'm thinking it's not they cards' fault. And I'm certainly not going to put a more expensive, higher-end card in only to have it get smoked just to prove the point. Now, if you're willing to send me one to try ;)

Replace camera? If you think it's faulty, why keep breaking SD cards....

Well, an old 16GB is all but useless in terms of my storage needs - so it's one I could use to give it one more try. Enough comments here seemed to think it was because of the type of the card. The camera has already been trashed. I have a v3 on order.

Well, an old 16GB is all but useless in terms of my storage needs - so it's one I could use to give it one more try. Enough comments here seemed to think it was because of the type of the card. The camera has already been trashed. I have a v3 on order.

I mean if card after card is being killed, you could have a slew of crap cards. However, after a while, I'd start to blame the camera. Seeing these cards worked fine elsewhere..... Moving on to another cam sounds like the best idea.

Back