My dashcam has a capacitor. How many amps can it take up to?

DashcamFreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
In general, how many amps can a dashcam capacitor take up to?

1 Amp should be sufficient, use a power supply rated for 2 Amps since they often can't maintain full output when they get hot.

1 Amp should be sufficient, use a power supply rated for 2 Amps since they often can't maintain full output when they get hot.
Would 7.5 amp fuse work? What about 10 amps?

Last edited:
Would 7.5 amp fuse work? What about 10 amps?
The job of the fuse is to protect the wiring. If you are using 5 amp wire then a 10 amp fuse is very bad news if there was a short - the vehicle may get burned to it's shell, you should use a 5 amp fuse or less. If you have 10 amp wire then a 10 amp fuse is fine.

Is there any way to get more current out of the cable? My dashcam isn't getting enough power to keep it on. I'm using a 15 ft cable to power my rear dashcam.

Is there any way to get more current out of the cable? My dashcam isn't getting enough power to keep it on. I'm using a 15 ft cable to power my rear dashcam.
That issue has nothing to do with the fuse.

The problem will probably be too much voltage loss along the USB cable.

You can improve things by using a higher amperage USB cable, eg: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=5457&seq=1&format=2
which is rated at 24AWG for the power conductors, which should give 2.5 times the capacity of 28AWG cable and approximately half the voltage drop.

You could also use a voltage converter (hardwire kit?) which provides a higher voltage at the start of the USB cable so that there is also a higher voltage at the end of the cable. One that gives 5.3 volts instead of 5.0 volts is safe to use and might solve the problem, don't use more than 5.4 volts though since that might blow up the camera.

The amps are not the issue, both cables can carry enough amps, but the thinner cable will loose more volts.

I can't be sure that cable will solve your problem, but there is a good chance.

Another solution is to run 12 volt power to the back of the car and put a voltage converter (hardwire kit) near the camera, that solution is certain to work.

The original poster in this thread had a similar problem with a Viofo A119S. Eventually he ordered a Viofo A119 USB cable which has 22 gauge wiring which worked but was shorter - 3.5M (11.5 ft) I think, than the 15ft he wanted. To get the length you need, I like the idea of extending the 12Vdc (to either a cig socket or hardwired 12 to 5Vdc converter) and using a good USB cable. Losses suffered in the 12Vdc extension should have significantly less impact on the power getting to your camera than similar losses in the USB cable.

Last edited:
Losses suffered in the 12Vdc extension should have significantly less impact on the power getting to your camera than similar losses in the USB cable.
Voltage losses in a 12 volt extension should have zero impact since even if the hardwire kit only gets 10 volts, it will still give out the same 5.1 volts that it would if receiving 14.2 volts.

I'm currently using the earlier mentioned cable along with these kits:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321645899181
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131240472459
Best to use a 2 amp, or 5 amp fuse with that kit, but you won't notice a difference unless there is a short circuit.

That does look a rather cheap kit, it could be only putting out 4.8 volts which would not be helping, it could also be putting out plenty and the problem is only the cable. You could check if you got one of the cheap USB power meters, although it is hard to find one to plug into the mini USB end of a cable, you might need an adaptor.

There is no way to use a standard multimeter on a mini USB connector, even using one on an 'A' type full size USB connector is not advisable since it's very easy to short the power connections to the metal shell, possibly causing problems with the USB power supply itself.
It's much safer (and easier) to use a USB power meter and an adaptor as suggested by Nigel.
This adaptor would be suitable.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273069321280USB adaptor.jpg

Back