My device keeps restarting, but only after the latest firmware...

iBud

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR650GW-1CH
Aloha again everyone,

I'm a bit confused, unless the firmware itself is the culprit, but since I've upgraded to v2.006, I've experienced several restarts. I have around a one hour drive to and from work, but even today as I went to Medical on the base here, a trip of less than 15 minutes round trip, I experienced two restarts. Has anyone else noticed this odd behavior subsequent to upgrading to the latest firmware? I am located in Hawaii, and it is rather hot now, so that could possibly play a role. I've set everything as it was before, with the exception of turning the brightness down to Normal. I noticed that when I removed the microSD card, it was extremely hot, but there's not a better spot for my dash cam than on the windshield.

Also, what's with the files that can't be played? I have several that were recorded on the microSD, but the BlackVue Viewer, VLC, and QuickTime Player all can't play the file. I'm assuming that I'm not the only one that experiences this, correct?

I got a 64GB Class 10 Sandisk Ultra. I haven't tried the BlackVue 16GB card, as I wanted to extra storage. Like I said, though, this only started happening after I upgraded the firmware. I had no problem with this same card under the previous firmware.

still could be card related, the firmware is written around the specific cards they use and while that card might have worked fine on the old firmware that doesn't always mean the results will stay that way if they've made some changes around file handling, I'd give the included card a go for a while and see how it performs

Happened to me with my dr650gw-2ch, I was using the same card but 32gb. It was the memory card, I guess it was not fast enough after they increased the bitrate. I ended getting a better card and been using it for a month now with no problem.

Happened to me with my dr650gw-2ch, I was using the same card but 32gb. It was the memory card, I guess it was not fast enough after they increased the bitrate. I ended getting a better card and been using it for a month now with no problem.

Which card did you get? I remember the same thing happening with my GoPro when I tried 1080p@120fps - my GoPro kept stopping. I was using another Sandisk card. I'll just re-flash with v2.006 with the BlackVue card and see how it goes, although it's only 16GB vs. 64GB. Oh well, I'll just have to save my "interesting" files more frequently.

If that doesn't work why not try reflashing the previous firmware and see if it still does it. Unless the old firmware has a problem,of course. That way , if it works on the old firmware you could leave it on and use the bigger card. Something like if it ain't broke,don't fix it.

Edit: although being a Sandisk card, it probably is the card. They have a reputation of not really being compatible in dashcams in general.

If that doesn't work why not try reflashing the previous firmware and see if it still does it. Unless the old firmware has a problem,of course. That way , if it works on the old firmware you could leave it on and use the bigger card. Something like if it ain't broke,don't fix it.

I thought about that, but wasn't sure if I could go back, or downgrade, to the v2.005 firmware. At leas this way, I can compare apples to apples; ie., both cards on the same firmware. I can rule out either the cards or the firmware this way.

Last edited:
Aloha again, everyone.

Y'all were correct, in that the card is the issue in my case. I flashed my dash cam, this time with the BlackVue 15GB microSD card, with the v2.006 firmware, then set everything as it was before (units, WiFi, etc...) and enjoyed a "restart-free" drive into work this morning. I'm going to check the files to see if any were recorded, but unplayable, but I doubt I'll find any. I thought to save money by purchasing the 16GB option and adding a 64GB microSC card, but I guess you "get what you pay for." I didn't save that much money - I should've gone with the 64GB version from the get go.

That being said, for those of you not using BlackVue's microSD cards, what brand(s) have you successfully used or are currently using? I could probably pick one up in town, but I don't want to waste any more money. As always, thanks in response for any and all responses.

I've been using a Delkin 375X 64GB for the past 18 m0nth, reformatting every week, without any problems. However, I'm in the UK with much lower temperatures, and the card still gets very, very hot to handle.

I've been using a Delkin 375X 64GB for the past 18 m0nth, reformatting every week, without any problems. However, I'm in the UK with much lower temperatures, and the card still gets very, very hot to handle.

Aloha JohnM, and thanks for your response. I agree that your climate is, at times, desirable to mine. Y'all do get a bit chilly during the winter, however. It's interesting to note that your microSD card gets quite hot as well. I wasn't sure if that was just due to the heat here. I was looking at what BestBuy has to offer, and unfortunately they don't carry Delkin products, but they do have Sony, PNY, Samsung, and Kingston cards, all Class 10 with anywhere from 20Mbps to 90Mbps write speeds. That's the real stat, correct - write speed? If I'm using the v2.006 firmware that records at 10Mbps and my card can write at a speed faster than that, I should be good, correct?

I'm not on the "cloud", so not using v2.006. Blackvue have lower read/write speeds on their cards and the very helpful Blackvue Australia on this forum always advise using Blackvue cards, and then make your own choice.

I'm using Lexar 633x 64gb microsd. Haven't formatted it since I got it. But got formatted when I updated the firmware. Right now it is summer here and the temperature have not caused any problem for me. Outside temp are hitting 27 degree Celsius, and I park outside.

I'm using Lexar 633x 64gb microsd. Haven't formatted it since I got it. But got formatted when I updated the firmware. Right now it is summer here and the temperature have not caused any problem for me. Outside temp are hitting 27 degree Celsius, and I park outside.

Aloha Crazy (what a screen name :),

Thank you for your response. According to BlackVue's website, you're supposed to format it FAT32 initially, then copy the latest firmware onto the card, then insert the card into the BlackVue device, after which the dash cam will load the firmware, initialize the card, then start recording. That's how it works for me. Your area is almost as hot as it is here - wow! My father-in-law and brother-in-law both use the carport continuously, so I also have to park outside, albeit right beside a tree, so I do get some respite from the hot sun.

Aloha again everyone,

I made another switch. I decided to try the microSD card I had in my GoPro, another SanDisk (Class 10, 64GB, UHS-1) , and it works just fine - at least for now. I'm not sure why the new card doesn't work with the v2.006 firmware, but the old one is good to go. I didn't necessarily waste $20 - the new one can be used with the GoPro.

Last edited:
I've just started having the same problem after replacing the sd card so I guess that answers the question right there. My card is the Scandisk Ultra 64gb class 10. Should this card be a problem? Are the restarts hurting anything other than not recording during the restart?

Jim, I have the exact same problem with the exact same card, Sandisk Ultra on my DR650S-2CH. It's rebooting randomly.

Jokiin is probably right so I just ordered a Sandisk Extreme Plus (U3 V30 XC1) , which seems to be about 3 times faster at write speed it seems, but much more expensive.

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-microsd-cards
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/storage/best-microsd-card-best-microsd-cards-2016-3640745/

I'll receive it in 2 days and give it a try. If it doesn't work I'll swap for a Samsung or other brand.

I went back to a Sony UHS-1 64GB sd card and everything appears to be working as it should, or at least the re-starting problem is resolved. I have another minor annoyance. If I make any changes to the firmware through the iPad app, I lose wifi connectivity. I appreciate it shuts down to save the changes to the sd card but once it reboots I should be able to reconnect but the Wifi SSID does not show up in my iPad/settings/wifi. I actually have to take the sd card into the house and load it onto my pc and reset the Wi-Fi password through the Blackvue Viewer. Then it's all good again. Lesson here I guess is don't make firmware changes through the app.

Yep confirmed, no more random restart/reboot for a week now since I changed my Sandisk Ultra 128Gb for a faster 128Gb Sandisk Extreme Plus

It was an SD card write speed problem.

\o/

Back