My dream camera

:cool: That would be the best form-factor @kissmancz unless you want to mount towards one side. But it also limits you to cams with only that form-factor which may not give you the functions you wish for. Blackvue and Thinkware have never been very accepting of user or owner input; they build their cams only the way they want them to be. Many other cam manufacturers do seem to take suggestions better.

Nobody builds the cam you want, so I would suggest that you make a list of what you want from a dashcam with the most important at the top of the list then going down to less important. Compare your list to what is available, and at each step the suitable cams will be reduced. When you get down to one or two cams your best choice should be clear to you. This will not get you everything you want but it's as close as you can get.

Or you can wait for the cam you want, perhaps using something basic until that cam hits the market. The B1W makes a pretty good cam at a low price and with good value too. If your climate is cool enough the 70mai can also fill in until they make your cam. These are single-channel cams but better than nothing while you wait. Just don't expect to have all your wishes fulfilled any time soon- dashcam technology moves slowly and is always far behind the times compared to other electronic devices :(

Phil

For now, my favorite is A129 Pro Duo, but form factor of this cam is not good for me :( B1W looks great for start, but remote button is mandatory for me (because of location of the camera) and GPS too.

Then perhaps the K2S dual remote? Tiny cam modules, good GPS and IIRC a remote button too. You'll need to find a place for the main unit but mine has been giving great service for over a year so i can recommend it. It has wifi, but no CPL available though you can DIY one if necessary.

Phil

The K2S are indeed one of the cameras with which you can do the most stealthy install due to the very small camera units, the size of these also mean CPL filters are hard to do i recon, there are no CPL from the factory as far as i know.
If you take a match box, cut it in half on the long side, and then stack those 2 parts on top of each other, you have a size where a K2S camera unit can fit inside.

You should look for the PRO model as it have IMX 291 in both cameras.

_dsc0575-jpg.44287

Last edited:
For now, my favorite is A129 Pro Duo, but form factor of this cam is not good for me :( B1W looks great for start, but remote button is mandatory for me (because of location of the camera) and GPS too.
B1W is a great camera, but it does use a rather old sensor and is far from the image quality of the A129 Pro, even at night since it can't match the exposure speed of the A129 Pro. Although in very dark conditions, when moving slowly it does surprisingly well.

The K2S is only 1080 resolution, a quarter of the detail of the A129 Pro. The Pro version may do a little better in darkness, but under streetlights the difference is not massive. Also installing all those cables is a bit of a challenge, the A129 just has 1 cable in and 1 cable out,
I can mount cylindrical camera below the RaCam unit, It will not be visible from driver or any seat because shape of the cover. Check my drawing, blue is window, black RaCam profile. And Viofo is so long for this placement - will be visible too much. Btw. I dont care about the display, thats the reason why bluetooth button would be great ;)
Unless you are rather short, I don't think you would see an A129 from the driving position, it could be pushed up quite close to the plastic, or maybe you can lay it flat stuck to the bottom of the plastic.

Not sure the cylindrical camera would fit into the space you have circled unless it was a narrow cylinder, even the B1W would have difficulty since it needs a little space for the mount. What is needed is an A129 without the LCD screen, so that it can be less tall...

If you are able to accept a bit shifted image, you can mount Viofo's cam like this. (not visible at all behind rear-view mirror)

EDIT: Ok, never mind i've looked on your photos again. I didn't notice before how far is your rear-view mirror from the windshield. :unsure:

Yep, it is crazy ;) today I made another photo from side. Angle of the windows is 12 degree (measured with iPhone). Thanks for K2S tip, I will check this camera on the web.

Attachments

• fdfd.JPG
    fdfd.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 18
today I made another photo from side.
You could go for the A129 and mount the rear camera at the front?
(Obviously you don't get 4K at the front that way.)

I dont think it is good idea :) not for me... still thinking that circular cams are best for this car. Is there any alternative to dr900s? I found some, but totally uknown china brands.

My dream camera:

Doesn't act like a biploar schizophrenic mental case regarding SD cards.
Doesn't randomly fail.

hehe those would be 2 good things to have in a camera.

Most cameras i have experienced have not been fussy about memory cards, but i am well aware some brands i have not tried are that way.
Random failure can well be a result of a not well suited memory card in one such camera, or a dying card, otherwise random erratic behavior are most often caused by power issues, often as a result of people not using the supplied PSU and have gone some alternative route.

The camera i put in my friends car behaved strange, and knowing it was on a alternative power source i told him to try the original one,,,,,,, he also did after moaning for a few months, and the problem evaporated.

Then your dreams can be fulfilled right now. Plenty of cams aren't picky about cards and plenty are as reliable as is possible with today's technology.

@Mike007 it's probably that the cameras you are looking at aren't the good ones, and with any product there are the good and the bad. One member here has ran cameras for 6+ years without an instance of the problems you seem to think happen with all dashcams, and many other members aren't far behind in time all with no problems. I've had at least 4 cams myself that did not have the problems you think are universal with over 2-4 years of operation on them (B2W, G1Ws, Mobius, K2S) I've even got a $26 cheapo G1W clone which has been fully reliable and hasn't had any card problems in about 3 years of use (I got lucky with that one; the images are poor but the darn thing refuses to die so I keep using it :p).

So clearly there are reliable cams that are not fussy about cards, and it's not fair to the manufacturers of those cams or to the people coming here seeking help and knowledge to say that there aren't.

Phil

It is just very frustrating to have had several cams that all did the same thing, including the Mobius I have now - trouble with cards, trouble with shutting off, interrupted recordings and then I go on Amazon looking at reviews and they all scare me away with the missed recordings, dying prematurely, etc. Even the $200 units - same complaints. Right now I'm having trouble with my Mobius which is very commonly touted as one of the most reliable cams (thanks for your input on my other post). It's very frustrating. I don't want to babysit, go through multiple cards and power supplies and "figure out" how to trick these things into working. I've been through this same charade over and over. I NEED a cam as I quickly discovered when someone committed fraud against me, yet I've put more money and effort into trying to get a legitimate one than I should have had to. It truly, literally seems like a completely random luck of the draw to me, regardless of brand or price. My blood pressure goes up just thinking about it, so sorry for the rant but I have spent a lot of time I'd rather not have to come to this point. :(

It is just very frustrating to have had several cams that all did the same thing, including the Mobius I have now - trouble with cards, trouble with shutting off, interrupted recordings and then I go on Amazon looking at reviews and they all scare me away with the missed recordings, dying prematurely, etc. Even the $200 units - same complaints. Right now I'm having trouble with my Mobius which is very commonly touted as one of the most reliable cams (thanks for your input on my other post). It's very frustrating. I don't want to babysit, go through multiple cards and power supplies and "figure out" how to trick these things into working. I've been through this same charade over and over. I NEED a cam as I quickly discovered when someone committed fraud against me, yet I've put more money and effort into trying to get a legitimate one than I should have had to. It truly, literally seems like a completely random luck of the draw to me, regardless of brand or price. My blood pressure goes up just thinking about it, so sorry for the rant but I have spent a lot of time I'd rather not have to come to this point. :(
In my ten years of dash cam ownership I have NEVER encountered a product category that is more prone to problems and failures than dash cams. It is endemic to the industry. Dash cams are essentially overpriced consumer gadgets masquerading as "real" cameras but in fact, real cameras are generally built to a different, much higher standard. Personally, I would like to see a trend where dash cams would be built more like CCTV cameras which use basically the same internal components but somehow manage to operate reliably 24/7 in the most challenging of temperature and weather extremes, often for years on end.

Last edited:
And Dashmellow would know these things (y) Yet he's also a big Mobius fan with several in his truck. That wouldn't be happening if they weren't about as reliable as you can get. Nothing is perfect and nothing lasts forever but as far as dashcams go Mobius has only one real drawback- it's using an older sensor which doesn't do low-light as well as many newer ones do. That also limits the resolution possible with it, but it's images are so good that it is still not obsolete for a dashcam most would be happy with.

If I could pick only one cam, Mobius would be it because I know it would be there working for me when other cams might not. Seeing that little blinking LED is one of the most pleasing and reassuring feelings I've ever had. It's got my back so I'll be OK :cool:

Phil

The Mobius 1 has been hands-down the most reliable camera of its type I've owned. Other than that I don't even like to think about how many different failed dash cams I've burned through or what the total cost has been.

In my ten years of dash cam ownership I have NEVER encountered a product category that is more prone to problems and failures than dash cams. It is endemic to the industry. Dash cams are essentially overpriced consumer gadgets masquerading as real "cameras" but in fact, real cameras are generally built to a different standard. Personally, I would like to see a trend where dash cams would be built more like CCTV cameras which use basically the same internal components but somehow manage to operate reliably 24/7 in the most challenging of temperature and weather extremes, often for years on end.
Exactly! I have had these very thoughts a hundred times. :LOL: All these generic companies trying to cash in on the cam craze.

In my limited experience also, Mobius is by FAR the most reliable. It has lasted years versus a few months tops with the rest I've tried. But alas, I'm still suffering through various issues that pop up and I'm currently trying to get my wife and daughter setup with 2 more Mobius I just bought. It's not just plug and play. It's setup, testing, more testing, trial and error, etc!

It makes me feel a little better that an experienced person has had these thoughts!

Back