My first compilation! - Manchester

There are also towns with nation names. Peru: Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska. Sudan: Texas, Pennsylvania. Switzerland: Florida, South Carolina, Indiana. Denmark: South Carolina, Wisconsin. Germany: Pennsylvania, Georgia, Indiana. India: Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Mississippi. Congo: Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Arkansas. Mexico: Missouri. France: Idaho. Belgium: Wisconsin, Illinois. Netherlands: Missouri. Luxemburg (American variant spelling): Wisconsin, Iowa. San Marino: California, Florida, Texas. Spain: Georgia, South Dakota. Italy: South Carolina, Texas, New York. Greece: New York. Macedonia: Ohio, South Carolina, Illinois. Russia: New York, New Jersey, Ohio. Poland: Indiana, Ohio, Maine. China: Texas, Maine. Turkey: North Carolina, Texas, Arkansas. If we can divide the UK then there's England: Arkansas, Ohio, Oklahoma. Wales: Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Alaska. Scotland: Connecticut. We also have the Middle East covered. Lebanon: Ohio, Pennsylvania. Israel: West Virginia. Palestine: Texas. Egypt: Pennsylvania, Arkansas. Syria: Virginia, Indiana. Jordan: Minnesota, Montana, Utah. Arabia (but not Saudi): North Carolina, Nebraska, Ohio, Indiana.

I'm sure there are more!

Last edited:
Well, veering slightly back on topic, there are 31 towns named Manchester here in the US. :)

1. Manchester, New Hampshire

2. Manchester, Connecticut

3. Manchester, Iowa

4. Manchester, Massachusetts

5. Manchester, Missouri

6. Manchester, Pennsylvania

7. Manchester, Tennessee

8. Manchester, Marshall, Alabama

9. Manchester, Walker, Alabama

10. Manchester, California

11. Manchester, Georgia

12. Manchester, Illinois

13. Manchester, Dearborn, Indiana

14. Manchester, Montgomery, Indiana

15. Manchester, Kansas

16. Manchester, Kentucky

17. Manchester, Louisiana

18. Manchester, Maine

19. Manchester, Maryland

20. Manchester, Michigan

21. Manchester, Minnesota

22. Manchester, Montana

23. Manchester, North Carolina

24. Manchester, Adams, Ohio

25. Manchester, Summit, Ohio

26. Manchester, Oklahoma

27. Manchester, South Dakota

28. Manchester, Red River, Texas

29. Manchester, Vermont

30. Manchester, Washington

31. Manchester, Winsconsin.

Also...

Texas:
texas-flag-graphic.png

Chile:
chilean-flag-graphic.png

I like Texas town names. Sometimes they're very obvious like Plains and Levelland, both in tabletop flat West Texas. Alpine is in the mountains. Canyon is near the miniature Grand Canyon known as Palo Duro Canyon State Park, a dramatic drop from the plains of West Texas. But why is there a lovely mountain (Beaumont) in the wetlands of East Texas? How about George West, located in South Texas? If you're not sure what state you're in just head for Texas City. But sometimes that's just confusing. Missouri City isn't in Missouri. And as Dorothy might have said to her dog had she found herself in Wichita Falls, "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more." However, if you've ever lost your way in the galaxy just head for Earth.:)

Also...

Texas:
texas-flag-graphic.png

Chile:
chilean-flag-graphic.png
I read an article when I lived in San Antonio about some official - can't remember if it was state, county or local - ordered a Texas flag but got a Chile flag. I'm not sure if the official ordered wrong or the seller was from out-of-state and didn't know North America from South America. I think it was flown at some function attended by the governor and thus became newsworthy.:confused:

I like Texas town names. Sometimes they're very obvious like Plains and Levelland, both in tabletop flat West Texas. Alpine is in the mountains. Canyon is near the miniature Grand Canyon known as Palo Duro Canyon State Park, a dramatic drop from the plains of West Texas. But why is there a lovely mountain (Beaumont) in the wetlands of East Texas? How about George West, located in South Texas? If you're not sure what state you're in just head for Texas City. But sometimes that's just confusing. Missouri City isn't in Missouri. And as Dorothy might have said to her dog had she found herself in Wichita Falls, "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more." However, if you've ever lost your way in the galaxy just head for Earth.:)
My favorite is West, TX. Which isn't anywhere near the western half of the state.

Another one I heard about was a lady living in a suburb of Dallas... She was calling to order something, and the operator told her, "ma'am, I'm gonna need something more specific than Plano, Texas." (Hint, read it out loud, maybe with a little drawl) ;)

Also: Palo Duro, you say?

To the op: sorry for the thread-jack!

Last edited:
To the op: sorry for the thread-jack!

Likewise, but it sure has been fun. :D

Funny thing, but there have been a couple of totally off topic threads today that have been great, interesting and amusing fun.

Gotta' love this place! :D

Apologies to our new member OP as well. :)

Ok, just one more:
Actually, the entire town is/was for sale if you're interested. I talked to the owner some time back, kind of an interesting fellow.
Which means you talked to the Devil. ;):D

Another one I heard about was a lady living in a suburb of Dallas... She was calling to order something, and the operator told her, "ma'am, I'm gonna need something more specific than Plano, Texas." (Hint, read it out loud, maybe with a little drawl) ;)
Plain ol' Texas. :D

Back